It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undersea Cables Cut: Oops or Uh-oh?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Yknot

Oh, and one more thing, that Lucent Wavestar you so lovingly hang on to is a Metro IP product and absolutely fudge all use in trans oceanic or continental transmission. I did tell you before, but you obviously didn't listen.

You do know what a metro network is, don't you?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Yknot

Oh, and one more thing, that Lucent Wavestar you so lovingly hang on to is a Metro IP product and absolutely fudge all use in trans oceanic or continental transmission. I did tell you before, but you obviously didn't listen.

You do know what a metro network is, don't you?

There are (2) Lucent Wavestar products, one of which is a metro sytem, and I believe you mistakingly thought this is what I was referencing. Read my responses a bit closer and you will notice I am, for the most part, referring to the Wavestar OLS, an Optical LONGHAUL System. Lucent Wavestar OLS systems, were sold and utilized only by long haul terrestrial and submarine carriers around the world.
All product I have presented as proof of existing Terabit systems fall in the same category; and pleased be advised that these same manufacturers also have, or have had, a complimenting Metro Systems portfolio.
I think this is where you have been made your mistake, as most of these do not utilize DWDM mechanisms, only WDM...

Your job may expose you to Metro systems; I on the other hand, have actually been, from time to time, a RESELLER of DWDM systems and components from various manufacturers.

As I said before and say again, CASE CLOSED WATSON...

[edit on 18-2-2008 by Yknot]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Has there been anymore news about the actual title of this thread? How many cable were actually cut/tapped? Was it 4, 5, or 9? Any news from Iran (oil exchange), or the Mid-East in general that helps further an explanation except;
" Oh yeah, some obscure source mentioned they heard that three or four of those things get cut every day in the same geographic area of the planet so it's no big thing"
??
Any better ideas?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Saboteurs may have cut Mideast telecom cables

Damage to several undersea telecom cables that caused outages across the Middle East and Asia could have been an act of sabotage, the International Telecommunication Union said on Monday.

"We do not want to preempt the results of ongoing investigations, but we do not rule out that a deliberate act of sabotage caused the damage to the undersea cables over two weeks ago," the UN agency's head of development, Sami al-Murshed, told AFP.

More...

Interesting.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
UPDATE:

Saboteurs may have cut Mideast telecom cables

Damage to several undersea telecom cables that caused outages across the Middle East and Asia could have been an act of sabotage, the International Telecommunication Union said on Monday.

"We do not want to preempt the results of ongoing investigations, but we do not rule out that a deliberate act of sabotage caused the damage to the undersea cables over two weeks ago," the UN agency's head of development, Sami al-Murshed, told AFP.

More...

Interesting.

I see that members of ATS forums were able to ascertain this same possibility in REAL TIME, as it was happening, with thorough and thoughtful
reasoning. Hats off again on a another very informative discussion!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Yknot

Hahaha, a salesman. Should have known.

No sales person in Telecoms ever actually understands how the kit operates. The amount of times we have to clean up the mess left by "Technical sales staff" miss selling stuff to customers is unreal....

Again, your confusing capacity with individual link bandwidth. We have a 3.6 Tb system in place on our network, but is made up of hundreds of STM-64 links, all using DWDM. The 3.6Tb refers to the total capacity of the system, not the individual bandwidth provided by each wavelength. Each wavelength is a single link in it's own right. All DWDM does is push multiple wavelengths down a fibre instead of just the one in standard SDH transmission.

Seriously, you might think you know DWDM, but you clearly have bugger all understanding of SDH/SONET transmission, which is needed to even begin to actually know how DWDM operates....

EDIT: And no, I don't deal with Metro networks or even IP (uurrgh). I currently work for a large Telco in the UK managing a national transmission network with international links.

I am qualified and experienced on Marconi and Nortel equipment, including SMA series and TN series multiplexors, plus the Marconi 1664 DWDM equipment, which we utilise in our core network. I also have a solid background in Nortel DMS switches.

The guys over the way from me manage the international network, including these very cables this thread is about.

[edit on 23/2/08 by stumason]

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join