It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Bomb defendent cites 1st amendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Fake Bomb defendent cites 1st amendment

enews.earthlink.net

BOSTON - A computer science student who unwittingly created an airport bomb scare by wearing a blinking circuit board attached to her shirt had a First Amendment right to express herself in that manner, her lawyer argued Friday.

Attorney Thomas Dwyer Jr. asked a judge to throw out the charge against Star Simpson, 19, who is accused of possessing a hoax device. East Boston District Court Judge Paul Mahoney took the motion to dismiss under advisement and said he would issue a ruling March 21.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
LOL.

Not every day you hear someone citing the 1st amendment to get away with creating total anarchy.

I doubt this will end up as anything but bad for her. heh

enews.earthlink.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
yea, I dont think she is going to get away with this one. I remember reading about this story on ATS and thought it was in very poor taste on her part.

She had to think, at one point, taht it might not be a good idea to walk into an airport with a circut card attached to her chest...Especially after the boston incident (the advertising for the aqua teen hunger force movie)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't see how anyone can say what she did was wrong . Hell in the next few years allot more cloths will be sold like this from the store .

I have a few cool boards i have made that have slogans tickers ect .

She was held at gunpoint and arrested by state troopers after an alarm was raised over the battery-powered device on her shirt, which had flashing lights and the words "Socket to me" and "Course VI" (a major at MIT) written on the back.

You guy(s) act like it said BOMB. Or something like that . It was a simple IC socket that flashed words. If people are ignorant enough to not be able to tell the difference . Then that THEIR fault. You cant imprison someone for your own ignorance .

A simple walk by the bomb sniffing dogs should have sufficed . When nothing came up she should have been free to go . With an apology.

If i was her i would be suing the shnnnap out of these ignorant technology fearing rights abusing nitwits.

The topic is truly misleading .(Not op's fault) There is no way anyone that owns a soldering iron would think this was a bomb and or even supposed to represent one in the slightest way.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think it's been pretty well established by case law that the First Amendment right to free speech is not an unlimited right. The old yelling "fire" in a crowded theater argument.

Legal arguments aside, however, anyone stupid enough to create any kind of trouble in an airport during these hyper-sensitive times should at the very least be taken into a room somewhere and slapped upside the head until they get some sense knocked into them.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
She didnt yell fire bomb or anything else. She didnt even open her lips.

A computer science student who unwittingly created an airport bomb scare

Creating art and displaying it is trouble?
Are you implying that this girl did this just to disrupt travel ?

Far as i can see this chick is getting railroaded . Soon you wont be able to wear cloths . As a new brand came out called "DA bomb" and that might just incite some fear.

This is just infuriating.

top topics

join