It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Materials: Epoxy Resin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This versatile material should be included in any long-term material-resource cache.
and can make all the difference in the long-term to survival.

It's waterproof and structurally resilient when set, and becomes even stronger and can be sawn or drilled to affix to other components when used with laid-up glass-fibre matting or even other woven-fibre materials such as paper, textiles, cardboard, or even natural fibres prepared from grass/wood/vines.

The only limit to what you could create is the amount of Epoxy you gave available and fibre-matting.

A few ideas to start:

A rigid cast for broken bones, using resin-soaked fabric strips wound round the broken limb.

An air-filter case made from cardboard sheets and toilet-roll tubes, and coated with resin to make airtight box and fitted with an activated-charcoal filter.

What would you use it to create and how?

[edit on 1-2-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Two components you mix, right? Any idea how long those parts could sit around on a shelf? It does sound handy.

I'm thinking it might be good to fabricate a small part that breaks on another piece of gear...even a metal part not subject to much heat?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Other uses:

Non-ballistic Body Armour:

the idea here would be to make small squre panels of layered fabric and epoxy, drill mounting holes when set around the edges, and tie together to make a flexible body layer. This would then enable you to make a basic torso jerkin of fish-scale armour that could protect you from possible blunt-instrument or knife attack whilst allowing freedom of movement and be lightweight enough so as to not impede mobility...will come back to this idea later when I have more time to think about the design

reply to post by Bigfoot209th

I'm not entirely sure myself of the individual component's (resin and hardener) shelf-lives, although I do have tubes of Araldite that have been in my toolkit for a few years and although they have obviously deteriorated a little over time, still have a good strength when mixed...I guess it would depend on what application you wanted to use it in

[edit on 1-2-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
You might want to check out forums.13x.com...

I got that link at www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a

Unpredictable is not necessarily unusable. It would be good to have some on hand. I like the armor idea. I wonder if there's a patent on that. What are the ingredients in resin and hardener and can they be manufactured crudely and still be usable? Hmmmm.... Gotta research that.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

For your fabrication kit I would suggest also:

1. Used dryer sheets (laundry type). Several times through the dryer will 'burn out' the fabric softener. They make excellent patching or fabricating sheets for epoxy work. The weave is very strong and easy to matt out and saturate with the resins.

2. Mixing sticks. Popsicle sticks are terrific.

3. Hand protection. Some folks have very little resistance to an allergic reaction from epoxy and the 'tip over/threshold point' is a very narrow line. Allergic reaction in a time of emergency could be a real bummer without medical attention and much work to do. Many are very tolerant of these compounds, but this scenario would be a hell of a time to learn you aren't. Your hands are and will be your most important survival tool in a time of crisis, no?

4. Of course, a breathing filter would be convenient, but not absolutely necessary, if you are not sanding the dried material too much. But work in an airy place and try not to huff too much of this stuff. Couldn't hurt to throw at least a couple of dust filters in your kit.

5. Mixing cups (S.Med.Med Lrg). Beginning epoxiers should make small batches (of course depending on kick and cure time of epoxy per mfg. - Fast/hot=smaller mixes). Collect some yogurt cups, margarine tubs, Cool Whip type, etc. Realize you can slow down the "kick" process by cooling your batch of epoxy - that is, if there is some refrigeration available in your circumstances. Limited effect but doable.

6. Auto body plastic shaping squeegies. They're just plastic blades sold in auto body stores and auto parts stores for car filler putty. Cheap and very useful.

7. Wax paper. Helps keep things from sticking where you don't want them to stick. (i.e. your work to the assembly surface.)
Throw a roll of 1/2" masking tape in your kit too.

8. I would also consider having on hand a type of epoxy that will work/adhere/harden in a water environment. I believe it is available in putty form and can be kneaded into a workable glob for stuffing in wet places to plug wet nasties. Look at the Marine/Boatbuilding web sites for all of these varieties. You never know when or where you will need to have this magic stuff to fabricate or repair your infrastructure. Could be in the rain/snow/water supply etc. This isn't a high priority but something to keep in mind.

9. Instructions. I'd suggest, again, perusing marine/boat building web sites and epoxy manufacturers' sites to get an overview of best practices and tolerances. Print some out and put those instructions with the materials for safe keeping and a refresher if/when your emergency kit is called into action.

10. Do it. Make something before it's necessary to do so, just to get an idea of what you're going to be capable of when being capable of doing something becomes necessary.

One other item not normally thought to be included in an epoxy topic that I would recommend to anyone collecting fabrication/survival tools. IMHO an older model ice pick is one of the most important items to have in any tool box or fabrication kit, particularly a survival type. Doesn't have to be fancy - in fact the older wood handled ones are my favorite. Oh, and one of your first epoxy or gorilla glue projects should be to pull the shaft out of the handle and reglue it.
An ice pick is one of the greatest inventions of all time. Poking, drilling starter, gouging, marking, spanish windlass, fid, - ahem; protecting yourself? - Get several! - In my experience they're usually about $2 each. Stash one in your survival larder and use another in your everyday tool box. You'll be amazed how having one handy will grow on you.

Peace all.

new topics

top topics

join