It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany launches a Comic Book on the Holocaust

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Germany launches a COMIC BOOK on the Holocaust

www.reuters.com

BERLIN (Reuters) - German schools will launch a comic book next week that aims to teach above all underprivileged children about the Nazi era and the Holocaust.

Although German schools already make a big effort to give pupils a thorough education about the Nazi era, racist violence remains a problem, and the revival of Germany's Jewish community has brought a rise in anti-Semitism with it
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod edit: Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2/1/2008 by Gools]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Oh boy...This should be sure to ruffle some feathers. Although it's supposed to be educational, making a fictional comic book in the country that spawned the atrocities might not be the wisest move.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
What's wrong here?

The fact that it's a comic book?

Should Germany just ignore the whole thing and NOT teach it's kids about what happened?

Have you read the materials?
Has anyone?
Why is this news?

I don't see the problem.

[edit on 2/1/2008 by Gools]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Comic books are for entertainment. I think they could have picked a more serious venue. Brochures, history books, etc...I just don't know that it's done in the best taste to turn it into a comic book. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the material is like to make the final decision on it.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Oh, I don't know...

Ever read Maus?

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ok, I understand about teaching history to children this is a good thing. However, putting it in a form of a comic book and using fiction rather than non-fiction sort of downplays what actually happened.

I mean why not use a true life story of a survivor and put it in a normal style book? Why downplay this in a cartoon comic form and use fiction rather than non-fiction?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Looks like there's a link to this thread from another source here-
www.associatedcontent.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Germany is not launching anything - both the OP and the Reuters article are a bit misleading (although to be fair, the OP is just quoting here).

The book is published by the Anne Frank House in the Netherlands - and it`s been available from them, with teaching guides, in Dutch, English, Polish, German and Hungarian since late 2007. It`s a sequel to a graphic novel they did in 2003. German schools are simply adopting it as a supplementary.

Now seriously, how likely is it that the Anne Frank House Museum would be attempting to put out anything that glosses over the Holocaust?

new topics

top topics

join