It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Day Off Cigarettes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Cigarettes.... mmmmmmmmm

I love them, the taste and the smell, everything about them.

I have loved them for 33 years and that's long enough.

I have put them down and now I need all of you to send me positive thoughts, prayers and whatever else you can to help me not pick them back up.

I do not have an addictive personality, thank goodness, but that is a long time to be doing something and now all of a sudden, I'm not...

So, all my friends, wish me luck...

Semper

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Semper you got my support! Good luck buddy we all know you can do it!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
My dad quit a long time ago, when he got tempted he chewed a few very strong mints. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Good Luck Semper!

Not sure how you decided to quit.

I hope to put them down one day too.

apc

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Donuts.

Coffee.

Sex.

Driving a car.

(trying to think of more from when I smoked
)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Get a few extra sessions in the gym lined up, cos ya gunna start putting on the pounds, can't be helped when you give up the killa sticks.

Best of luck.

It's not an easy thing to do.

MonKey

Pills and patches and stuff - load of codswhollop!! It's sheer will power or nothing.

*Cheers* Go on Semper - You can do it - if you put your - Mind to it. *dances and waves arms*

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

you don't need luck, you need gum

and not the nicotine kind, i mean just regular gum

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Kudos Semper, you are doing something i couldn't do right now.
Gum....deffinatly stock up on some gum.
Good luck, and you've got my support!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Get a few extra sessions in the gym lined up, cos ya gunna start putting on the pounds, can't be helped when you give up the killa sticks.

You don't have to get fat when you quit. I started using the patches on day two, and it took away all desire to fidget with my hands which often time includes eating for lack of knowing what to do with your empty hands.
I believe niteboy82 didn't have that problem either because of the patch, we quit together and you will have our full support Semper. You can do this.

I flagged this thread for you..I want you to get lots of support. I hope others do the same.

Josh, add some humor to this thread. I enjoyed the video you put up in our quitting thread...pathetic as it was...it was great

[edit on 2/1/2008 by jensouth31]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I didn't know you smoked.

With your strong will and determination, it should be a piece of cake.

It's well worth the effort!!

Good Luck!!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Semp?

Show me you can do it my friend; be my inspiration!

You realize now that you're on a 'quitting mode', everything you associated with ciggies is going to have to change. Not to scare ya bud; sure you already know that full well.

For me personally, I do these things with smokies:

1. Drink coffee/tea/beer
2. Talk on phone
3. After meals
4. Long car rides/cranking radio
5. Work on Computer

Someone once told me: For EVERY bad habit you give up, one must replace that habit with something 'positive'. In other words, we are constantly moving our hands back and forth to our mouths to smoke, we must replace smokes with something positive.

This is what happens when we condition ourselves with that kind of action, and unfortuneatly, the first thing people replace that action with is food. Hence packing on the pounds, after quitting smoking.

Ciggies are extremely high up on the list of 'addictive' chemicals et al. I've read/heard somewhere, that they are addictive than heroin (I mentioned this to make emphasis only; I'm aware of the TOC's)

There is a certain natural chemical (endophamines?) that help us to calm down/relax. When we started smoking initially, this natural chemical was slowly being replaced by one found in ciggies, and this is why we seemingly calm down after a haul on a smoke.

Upon smoking cessation, the body's chemical balance is way of kilter, and will take a bit of time to naturally 'kick back in'.

I can't tell YOU, that you'll be ok in a week, 2 weeks, a month, etc. This is YOUR body that you're working with now. It's going to take TIME, my friend. There's ALOT of toxin buildup from years of smoking.

Try the patch, try gum, try EVERYTHING you can get your claws on to QUIT. The idea is to NOT GIVE UP.

BE the name you chose as a member...SEMPER FORTIS

Be strong...

Your friend,

~Ducky~

apc

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I forgot beer! Horraaaaay beer!

A cigarette with a beer is sooooo gooooood.

mmmmmmmm :w:

Good luck semper! I quit cold turkey three years ago and not a day goes by that I don't want one. The great thing is though that after a few weeks and your sense of smell normalizes, smokers smell disgusting. Fresh tobacco smoke still smells pretty good, but the stale lingering odor of smokers...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hey, Semperfortis!
I used to smoke three packs a day ( Marlboro reds)
I've been quit nearly 11 years!
Your body is the temple for the holy spirit, keep it clean.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Good for you, Semp!

I've been smoking since I was 19 and I think I'm winding down. I guess I'm tired of it, except when I'm drinking (alcohol or coffee, you're right, Ducky)

Keep us updated, you can be my inspiration.

btw, I, for one, would not want to be in the sights of a cop, who just quit ciggies- people better not break any laws!!

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by HarlemHottie

I just got 'shivers' of the worst kind.

btw, I, for one, would not want to be in the sights of a cop, who just quit ciggies- people better not break any laws!!

Jeeeesssseee.... I'd hate to be in the line of vision of ANYONE who just 'quit smokies'. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Staying outta the way of future X smokers.....Lord thundering Jesus....please grant me safe passage....

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Best of luck to you.

I've tried almost everything under the sun to quit. I haven't decided which to try next, laser therapy or Vance Romane.

Come back and inspire me with your success story. I'm sure you can do it.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
You can do it, my good friend.

I have been smoking for about 10 years and I swear its' the hardest thing to give up....but I am perpetually intending to end the habit...

Let me know how it is on the other side of the fence and I may just join you....

Here's a couple of good associations for you...

Cigarettes=

Clean Oxygen=

.....and finally, maybe duct tape really CAN solve every problem...

Good Luck and seriously, I'm going to find this thread when I finally do quit...

[edit on 1-2-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You Can Do It!!!!!!

If you are going to cave in, then buy the gum instead (the cheep off brand stuff level 2) make a pact with yourself. If you need to cave in and have one, then make it a piece of the gum instead. Seriously it is better than a cig when you get to that point. Dont eat or drink anything 20min before you chew it (which is about the time it takes to go from I have to have one until you get through the check out line) For the first couple of months, I would cary a piece or two with me just in case. Especially when I went out drinking. I also used a hypnotic CD that I still swear by. There were so many different pieces of helpfull information in that thing. Only cost me $10 too. Taught me how to think like a nonsmoker again. Reprogramed my brain to not automatically think of smoking. I found myself counting every red thing in sight, and getting a bit light headed from the deep breathing. Without even thinking about it. It was amazing. The first month took determination, but I ended up giving away the last few pieces of gum. It has been a year now and honestly, I have not had any cravings.

I even recomend the cd I used to people who have already quit, but still think about them a lot.

REMEMBER if you have a moment of weakness, just pick yourself back up and start over.

Oh yea, if you are having a moment, take the deepest breath you can and hold it in for 30 seconds then blow it out really fast. It gives you the same feeling you would have after having a smoke. Kind of takes the edge off.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
WOW!!! Thanks for all the support!!!!!

Day one down the tubes and no smoke so far.. Not even a puff...

I intend on posting my progress here because I feel I will need your support before this is through...

I have been smoking longer than I have been doing any single thing. Well except for breathing, but it's close...

I ask one thing of you all...

If you see me getting stupid on here, posting in a way I should not be, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE rein me in...

I promise I will never take your discipline of me personal. I know I am going to go through some changes, goods ones probably, but I also know I will become irritable before this is through and I do not want to take it out on anyone on here...

Thank you all so much...

Semper

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Hey Semper! good luck champ, I wish you all the best!

Coincidently I've set next week to get Champix to quit smoking, its getting to the point where I'm dreading having a smoke, its no fun and it definitely does not relax me anymore. (probably dreading it because its summer and 37 degrees Celsius average).

Either way, keep it up

Thx

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join