It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Apophis Heading Towards Earth! Contingency Plans Being Developed By United Nations!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
At the outset I would like to mention that I’m not trying to be alarmist, but just putting the facts across!

Apophis is the Greek name for an evil character in the Egyptian mythology who dwells in the dark underworld and attempts to destroy the Sun during its nightly passage.

2029-Impact?
Courtesy: Dancewithshadows

Circle your calendar. April 13th, 2036 could be a really, really bad day on planet Earth. Most feared is Apophis, a large asteroid that will pass within 10,000 miles of Earth around 2029 and even closer in 2036!!

Apophis had been intermittently tracked since its discovery in June last year but, in December, it started causing serious concern. Projecting the orbit of the asteroid into the future, astronomers had calculated that the odds of it hitting the Earth in 2029 were alarming. As more observations came in, the odds got higher.

Would this be an ELE? (Extinction Level Event). NASA has estimated that an impact from Apophis, would release more than 100,000 times the energy released in the nuclear blast over Hiroshima, directly affecting thousands of square kilometers and the whole of the Earth would see the effects of the dust released into the atmosphere.

This could result in disastrous changes in the climate, affecting crop cycles leading to several hundred million deaths due to starvation.

2007TU-24 has now become a distant event with the asteroid missing us by a comfortable 1.2 LD. But what of the future? The Association of Space Explorers (ASE), a society of astronauts and cosmonauts has proposed a treaty to the UN and plans to have a working protocol to present to the UN by 2009.

At the insistence of former astronauts, the UN has decided to formulate an international action plan to deal with rogue asteroids headed toward Earth. The treaty would delegate responsibilities for stopping an asteroid, set the policies for what risks could be taken to prevent a collision, and coordinate relief efforts in the event of a strike.

Currently, NASA estimates around 20,000 asteroids are inbound that have yet to be identified. NASA operates a program, the Spaceguard Survey, to track this ‘cosmic shooting gallery’.

Target? Earth!!

Four methods are being studied:

> To nudge the asteroid from its path by having a small spaceship fly beside it for 12 days, its gravity being enough to draw the asteroid away from the earth by a planet's radius.

> Land a fairly large satellite on it where the mass of the satellite alone could produce enough gravitational pull to change the asteroid's course.

> Crash a spacecraft into the asteroid in the hopes of changing its course.

> To destroy it with nuclear/chemical devices.

NASA's estimates require at least seven years before any deflection mission would be ready for launch, and agencies that are more conservative estimate 12 years at the earliest.

But the question is, what have they been doing so far? Why has a protocol not been put into place for protection against NEOs as yet? Or is there already one in place that we don’t know of?

Now you know why this asteroid has been named Apophis!!

Ref:
abcnews.go.com...
media.www.guilfordian.com... 7.shtml
www.dancewithshadows.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 1-2-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Interesting stuff Mike, I'll have to do some reading on this one and come back to the thread.

The vid says that no one is aware of it, and its a good point but it strikes me that this stuff would be taken alot more seriously if every presentation on such subjects didn't have someones godawful music on it. Not that I mind the Beatles, but really.......

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
The vid says that no one is aware of it, and its a good point but it strikes me that this stuff would be taken alot more seriously if every presentation on such subjects didn't have someones godawful music on it. Not that I mind the Beatles, but really.......

Heck! I felt the same! Hey! I've a brilliant idea. Just turn down the volume!!
Now don't tell me I didn't tell you that it was a brilliant idea!!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Yes, I too will monitor this thread for factuality and the absence of "I’m not trying to be alarmist" rhetoric. There is significant factual data in the public domain. Apophis is one of "my astronomy friends" favorites. Watch those copyrights and credits, I am.

Vic

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Most people here don't seem to recognize remote viewing and it's probably in skunk works anyway.
From what I can recall, Apophis supposedly came near enough to earth to have some section of it broken off and hit somehwere in Saudi Arabia.

Supposedly the asteroid in Mecca is a piece of Apophis and was a warning to them supposedly about worship etc. and supposedly rings were made of some of the crystals from the asteroid they appear to worship.
It's my guess that it's one of those iron and crystal asteroids or meteors.

The other remote viewing of Mecca supports another alternate reality, especially since someone had recently mentioned a large black oval object or possibly even a UFO or similar craft or probe.

These two objects may be related, especially if this craft was responsible for diverting the asteroids course. There are other mentions of asteroids around 2029.

I know it's just speculation and that there are several asteroids out there anyway. Remote Viewing might have at least a little credibility.

Any thought on the Mecca alleged asteroid?

Here's one that claims one will hit Mecca in the future. Is there any correlation between these two being of the same asteroid or moon etc?
I don't know the specifics of the asteroids original impact data.

www.freerepublic.com...

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Could the Dome of the Rock also have another asteroid or buried UFO or probe?

If 2029 is a hot area for asteroids, than could it be possible these may all be part of some moon or planet that happened to collide with our planet several thousands of years ago?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I rememeber seeing a show on History channel or some such, where it interviewed a number of astronauts who were very concerned about the asteroids. They said there were so many of them, that they presented a real threat to the planet and that a plan needed to be put in place for asteroids. They were working very hard on getting a program together and pressuring the govt, the U.N. etc. to come up with a plan.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Apart from the methods described above, a novel method has been put forth for preventing asteroid collisions with Earth.

While those methods promise some fantastic explosions -- and maybe a blockbuster hit -- a team of engineers is looking at a more patient approach. Their weapon: a swarm of nuclear-powered robots that could drill into an asteroid and hurl chunks of it into space with enough force to gradually push it into a non-Earth impacting course.

A depiction of a swarm of MADMEN robots
heading toward an asteroid on a mission of deflection.
Courtesy:CNN

Called Modular Asteroid Deflection Mission Ejector Node (MADMEN) the study (by researchers from SpaceWorks Engineering, Inc), is being funded by the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts (NIAC) and is to come up with new techniques to defend the planet against near-Earth objects (NEOs).

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
While we're getting George Lucas and his team to come up with these special effects, It wouldn't hurt to disclose all of these wonderful aquired UFO or alien technologies we've been hearing so much about, instead of some special effects BS cover-up story.

Ronald Reagan supposedly had proposed something of this nature when he was in office. The Russians had supposedly objected.

Since we're on the subject of Star Tek shows, this other episode 25 also comes to mind:

en.wikipedia.org...:_Voyager_episodes

So far, what we have learned from of our typical space program and it's continous failures, this idea probably won't make it out of the cartoon or CGI stage.

Unless we have psychics and aliens working on this alleged project, we're doomed to falure.

This is more likely another attempt and excuse for milking the taxpayers out of more money for illusionary projects. I don't suppose you just happen to work for NASA?

[edit on 1-2-2008 by aleon1018]

[edit on 1-2-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I am not worried about it at the moment. One, because it is a long way off. Two, by then I have a feeling someone would have come up with something and actually put the plan into action to move this sucker.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Four methods are being studied:

> To nudge the asteroid from its path by having a small spaceship fly beside it for 12 days, its gravity being enough to draw the asteroid away from the earth by a planet's radius.
> Land a fairly large satellite on it where the mass of the satellite alone could produce enough gravitational pull to change the asteroid's course.
> Crash a spacecraft into the asteroid in the hopes of changing its course.
> To destroy it with nuclear/chemical devices.

while these are all good ideas, it might be duly noted that
it is quite possible that by deflecting it's course might just
speed up the collision date. As it's still gonna orbit around us
and the sun. If it is deflected by whatever means, then a new
trajectory will have to be analyzed to see if it just prolongs
the impact date or speeds it up. The only sure way to rid
ourselves of the risk is to destroy it. Might I remind everyone
of the story or Troy and the Trojan horse. We don't need
to invite the object to dinner.

Also, Mike in your original post I did not see anywhere where
it stated the actual size/mass of the object or it's speed.
Any clues just how big that sucker is ??? All I read was
it was huge. Does that mean building huge, or planet huge ??

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Thing is, we have to wonder about whether if this threat is real, whether the governments will have the collective will to do something about it. A potential future threat will always attract procrastination. Perhaps, if it's something that's potentially lethal enough then government/s will do something about it, but we'll see.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm not too worried about this yet either. Let's see if we're still here after 2012 first. I personally believe we will be.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I thought that Bruce Willis already blew that thing up with an atom bomb. Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else. Anyway, I don't think the U.N. or anybody else has a way of deflecting an asteroid. So I guess we're pretty much screwed unless we're saved by Superman, or maybe the Prince of Space.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Well it would certainly explain why world leaders are grabbing all they can while they can and they don't care how they get it!

I find it all very sad. I hope it hits sooner rather than later. I would much rather have an E.L.E. while there is still a glimmer of hope that humanity may actually possess some humanity.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Sus' here's an older news piece... mark your calenders April 13, 2036. Estimates are about 1000 foot long... lots of estimates.

The CBC News In Depth article "Beware of Apophis….or not" from February 20 of last year.

Vic

EDIT: To add SANDIA's "Red Storm Run" Apophis sim video with it's destruction is in space... there's better. Apr 13, 2036

[edit on 1-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
from what I read NASA has changed it's impact percentage
from 1 in 4 to 1 in 45,000. An estimated 10,000 mile
earth fly-over would put it passing between earth
and the satellites orbit. Plus the electric discharge
associated with it could bring down electric grids and
circuitry and ruin computers and just do lots of
damage with the weather alone. So expect to see
some damage and discomforts even if it misses us.
Then there's the earth's gravitational pull added to it.
It will be too close proximity in 2036 not to do us any harm.
I guess they better get going on that plan.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
We're going to last until 2036? Hey, that's a relief to me. I've been positive we're on the way out by 2020.
With the way we're allowing our world to be run by satanist death-heads in black suits and throwing away our natural environment. Yep. We'll be lucky if we get to see this asteroid.

(I really hope I'm just being facetious).

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
We're going to last until 2036? Hey, that's a relief to me. I've been positive we're on the way out by 2020.

You're probably thinking of 2012. That's when Jesus returns, the NWO makes its move, the Hopi Indians get their land back, the Poles flip, volcanoes, tsunamis, the Photon Belt, and so on and on. Sounds like this asteroid is going to be late to the party.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Mike, for someone that doesn't want to be an alarmist you sure picked the wrong picture to lead with.

As others have eluded to; I'm more concerned about the asteroids that we don't know about.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I only wish you had waited until about 2035 to inform ATS, now we are going to have to hear about this and debate "Yes it is!" / "No it isn't!" for a very long time... regardless, it's absolutely horrifying!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join