It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto black school approved

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Toronto black school approved

cnews.canoe.ca

Toronto District School Board trustees approved creating the province's first publicly funded Africentric school last night but not by much.

Trustees voted 11-9 in favor of the measure after four hours of delegations and debate.

The Bill passed Last Week this will be intresting.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtontimes.com
www.cbc.ca

Mod Edit - Headline - Please Review this Link

[edit on 1-2-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

[edit on 2/1/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This will be a voluntary for Blacks who want to be with there own kind.

regular schools arent forced.

How many times have we seen this setup.only a matter of time till its law.

We need to inform Jesse Jackson!

cnews.canoe.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
While everyone was bloviating, I think this is telling:

The two student trustees spoke out against the schools and symbolically voted against them. Student trustee votes aren't counted.

I guess the issues in Canada aren't too removed from the ones we have further south.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Canada has a culture unlike the USA. It is as different as North Dakota and Louisiana! And I have worked in both states! It wraps its arms around diversity, accepting people as they are.

Take for example the way it deals with First Nations. For the most part, as a government, they encourage the First Nations to retain their culture. When I returned to Canada about a year ago I was shocked to see the furtherment of the Native Canadians...or in the south. Native Americans...

I have first hand knowledge of First Nation treatment here in Canada and I see a drastic improvement!

Trudeau was the man to bring this in with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in 1981. As we see the evolution of the Charter trickle down to the "lower" strata, of whom I am one, we see the increase of our rights.

The Harper government seems to want to erode these freedoms, but they seem to stand firm.

An all black school in Canada would mean a push to save the culture of those who chose to celebrate there culture.

A major lawsuit in Canada was won by the First Nations and the Tony Merchant Law Firm which speaks to this issue. Namely, the Catholic, Anglican and other churches forced First Nation people to leave there traditional ways by being shipped to schools to teach them the "Christian" ways. It was a noose around the culture of the First People's. To sum up, the First Nations won the lawsuit and the Churches were forced to give millions back to the people.

So, being in the frozen north, I must conclude that this is an opportunity for Black Culture to move forward in this Mosaic Canadian Culture!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Oh ya there constitution is going down the tubes as well.Crazy huh Let's see if another KENT university massacre will happen.

For you who dont know what KENT University massacre was when Africans protested Segragation at Colleges not allowing Blacks.

They were shot and killed 30 men and women gunned down by police men.

This is a bad idea to say the least shame on canada.

Canada have had major protests at similar things being done like our patriot act.

I forget the exact details i was sorry for them to have to suffer like us. tho

A Canadian who is on the ball should be able to explain the law changes better then me but ya its pretty much the same there.

except there dollar is rising above the US.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman
Oh ya there constitution is going down the tubes as well.Crazy huh Let's see if another KENT university massacre will happen.

For you who dont know what KENT University massacre was when Africans protested Segragation at Colleges not allowing Blacks.

They were shot and killed 30 men and women gunned down by police men.

This is a bad idea to say the least shame on canada.

Sorry bud!! You are talking to a guy who knows all about Kent State. Don't forget it was Neil Young, a prairie Canadian who penned the song Ohio. Lamenting Kent State!

So, a history lesson from a ol hippie...here ya go...

The Kent State affair encompassed President Richard Nixon's widening the Vietnam War to include Cambodia. The student Union at Kent State decided to march in protest against the widening of the war with the end result of 4 students dead and nine injured. (One was paralyzed)

I am an old man who has seen a lot of dodo…..Kent State was one of the biggest.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
By the way...the b side of Ohio was "Find the Cost of Freedom"

Steven Stills sang that one!!! It was on a little thing called a 45....different spin then a 33!!

Sounds best with a Krell amp, Krell pre amp, Klipsch Corner Horns and a 2500 dollar Marantz Turn Table!!!!

A big...wazzzz up to the HI FIDELTY BOYS....

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Before some of you people go shooting off your mouths know this...It was the black people themselves that wanted this saying that their children were quitting school, getting in trouble and then ending up in jail.

Nobody else wanted this because then you have every different race wanting their own, then every different religion wanting their own....and as a Canadian tax payer I and everyone else will tell them all to kiss our asses....This is Canada, you don't like our school system (Public School for everyone) then get the hell out!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rumrunner
Before some of you people go shooting off your mouths know this...It was the black people themselves that wanted this saying that their children were quitting school, getting in trouble and then ending up in jail.

That`s worth repeating. The only ones who asked for this were the leaders of the black community in Toronto, and the parents of (some) of the kids. They fought for it, they got it, and now.... what happens next?

I`ve been following this story for a few months - and I`m absolutely baffled as to why the black community in Toronto is behind this. It just doesn`t strike me as a good idea, for so many reasons. The curriculum has got me at a loss, quite frankly. I`m looking forward to getting my hands on a copy.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The sad fact of the matter is it's not going to work. Thats the way it used to be and it didn't work. I can't wait for the first lawsuit to allow another race to go to school there. Wast of taxpayers money.

mikell

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I can't believe the OP had used the word segregation in the title, Maybe I'm gonna hafta start starting threads just to keep the record straight on behalf of my country's interests. Or simply snipe with bigger caliber hardware - fact, pointed South.

I felt I was back in the states (Chicago) in the 70's or something. A poor "USA-oriented" choice of words. IT IS NOT SEGREGATION. I don't expect a retraction. Expect "help" in the future. Any one with and interest might want to check Toronto newsies and not an arm of the Asper crew out of Winnipeg.

The big issue is that it won't be universally available to those who would choose to attend and even worse the Premier does not support this publicly. Who holds the purse strings for funding? The province. This will be underfunded. Bet on it.

Vic

Thank you for removing the racially charged sensationalist wording from the title so quickly.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The entire idea seems like a bandaide fix for serious issue. Not every drop out, drops out because they are bored, or are not a properly represented "minority". The fact is, the public education system in Canada lacks passion. Both on the side of the teachers and the material they teach. Its dry, unfriendly, and boring. Add to that the inner city atmosphere of Toronto and you have a recipe for disasterous drop out rates, drugs, and gang activity.

I dont think this will make any significant impact on the overall drop out rates among African-American students. And I do think this whole situation is a way to divert attention from the failing system that no one seems to want to fix.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Heh I guess blacks in canada arent much different from the ones in the inner cities here. Drop out cause trouble and go to jail then blame the "white schools" I say if they want a all black school let them i dont know what the big deal is if it will help their culture thrive and better themselves from drug dealing and crime to prosperity I say give it to them we should all white and black get the chance to better ourselves.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf I dont think this will make any significant impact on the overall drop out rates among African-American students. And I do think this whole situation is a way to divert attention from the failing system that no one seems to want to fix.

I agree with all of the posters that this, on the face of it, sounds like a big step backwards and a very bad idea. But...

I can't help but think that there is a problem in the Black community if most of their kids drop out of school. We can stand on soapboxes and carry on against afri-centric schools...for all the right reasons...or we can try to cause a break in the cycle and get a few more kids through school...create a cohort of role models to inspire other marginalized kids, and so on, and so on. Hey...gotta do something. I'm holding my nose and supporting it, and wish them luck.

Just as a quick aside, 'mybigunit' states that blacks in Canada aren't much different from those in the States...I guess that is so for kids on the edges, but most of the Blacks here are from recent immigrant families outta the Caribbean.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
What I meant was the attitude not physically where they come from. I should of made that clear.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Where are the communities and grass roots efforts on this issue? In principle I believe this to be a form of segregation in that these students are not subjected to the realities of the world. Culture is typically manifested through the home and then integrated with social awareness. How the hell can that happen when your school & teachings are race specific. This is a flawed and stupid approach to satisfy a group who quite frankly are just lousy parents blaming the system on all their dilemmas. Stop the whining and focus on the home front teaching your kids better ethics and acceptable social behavior. Why is that only blacks are suffering from such a high dropout rate? There's far more to this than coddling misguided & inept parents. Accept the facts and deal with it. Black math is no different than white math idiots.

brill

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
Where are the communities and grass roots efforts on this issue?
Accept the facts and deal with it. Black math is no different than white math idiots.
brill

Well, this is coming from the grass roots...look it up before you rant. Further...what does the quote read? "Tis better to light one candle than to curse the darkness".

And frankly, your suggestion didn't work. This is the other option.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
or we can try to cause a break in the cycle and get a few more kids through school...create a cohort of role models to inspire other marginalized kids, and so on, and so on. Hey...gotta do something.

I agree with you here. Im just concerned that the overall short comings of this idea will outweigh the benefits it may produce. Will this encourage social cohesion, or will it further the deep feelings of inadaquecy that many "minority" youth already feel? I guess those are questions that can only be answered with time, but when they are answered, will it be too late to do anything?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Sorry to burst the bubble but no matter how well the intentions may be and how exotic the name of he school is "Africentric" is nothing more than promoting segregation.

So that is what it is racial segregation.

Now keep sugar coating the issue it makes no difference, segregation is segregation.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rumrunner
....and as a Canadian tax payer I and everyone else will tell them all to kiss our asses....This is Canada, you don't like our school system (Public School for everyone) then get the hell out!

SO.....should I say, on behalf of my family, whom are all First Nation, to all
Europeans......get the hell out??!!

OR...should I extend a right hand of tolerance, and accept the Europeans as well as those from the Caribbean and Africa?

Should I go into some detail of with the broken promises of the occuping goverment or should I decide to work with those who stole this land with lies and genocide?
Genocide? YES....Despite his fame, Jeffrey Amherst's name became tarnished by stories of smallpox-infected blankets used as germ warfare against American Indians. These stories are reported, for example, in Carl Waldman's Atlas of the North American Indian [NY: Facts on File, 1985]. Waldman writes, in reference to a siege of Fort Pitt (Pittsburgh) by Chief Pontiac's forces during the summer of 1763:
www.nativeweb.org...
... Captain Simeon Ecuyer had bought time by sending smallpox-infected blankets and handkerchiefs to the Indians surrounding the fort -- an early example of biological warfare -- which started an epidemic among them. Amherst himself had encouraged this tactic in a letter to Ecuyer. [p. 108]
Some people have doubted these stories; other people, believing the stories,......
Is it any wonder that their are some who bear a grudge because of the oppression of those in power? You pay taxes to a government that, from a First Nation point of view, started, and maintained genocide, torture, lies and a divisive, dismissive, prejudice that exists to this day. They have broken our treaty rights and until recently, and with much legal force, would not admit to the wrongdoings!!

Maybe you should rethink your position.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join