It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Warnings amid China freeze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Food Warnings amid China freeze

news.bbc.co.uk

China is struggling to cope with its worst snowfall in decades, with officials warning of future food shortages as winter crops are wrecked.
The government is trying to convince people the situation is under control - praising officials and naming three men who died as "revolutionary martyrs".

But forecasters are warning of more snow and urging people not to travel.

The bad weather has affected millions of Chinese keen to return to their home villages over the New Year holiday.

Dozens are thought to have died as much of the country endures one of its harshest winters for half a century.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Chinese snow storms strand 200,000 at single rail station

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This could be really bad news for China. Most of the people stuck in transit are the migrant workers from out in the sticks. The big cities depend heavily on these workers to keep their infrastructure ticking over.

And now on top of the transport problems the winter crops are getting trashed, thousands could die, maybe a lot more. Here in Hong Kong there are reports of the veggie prices going up by 5% a day at the moment and the amount of fresh produce that is coming in to the area is dropping daily.

Hong Kong will still get enough food to feed the 7 million or so people that live here, further in land that may not be the case.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31/1/08 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I posted about this the other day. Thankyou for bringing this forward again. It is potentially a very serious situation and as one person pointed out, they are claiming to be able to control the weather and so no worries about the Olympics... I am not sure of that statement but, either way, taking care of ones countrymen is a sure way to gain the strength and support of ones country.

My thread if you would like to join me , or I can come back as we discover any new developments about this crisis.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I am sorry I see that you were over at the thread already, mybad.

You pose a good point about the food, water and supplies. Do you live in Hong Kong? Are you or were you prepared? Are many in China? Or is preparedness just a western paranoia philosophy?

How are your emergency services and what is the update on the people stranded at the trains?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yup I'm in Hong Kong.

Apart from the lower levels of fresh produce coming in Hong Kong will be fine. Pork prices are also going up with the veggies...

I'll be sweet, I'll just live on beans on toast like I did during SARS. Going to get some more bottled water though just in case...

GuangZhou is about 2-3 hours in (driving) from Hong Kong and the trains there are moving all be it very slowly. Massive crowds are waiting for every train and the security forces are out in force, just keeping order, carrying away those getting squished and feeding tea to old people (mind you never can trust what the media is showing you!)

Another thing in the paper this morning is that the coal resevers for power are down to 6 days because of all the extra electricity that everyone is using trying to stay warm. I bet some heater seller somewhere is making a killing!!

And with old style mining and man power at a low for the Lunar New Year it might not be a very prosperous one for China.

Never been that keen on rats!

MonKey

new topics

top topics

join