It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus A380 cockpit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
found this strolling the net , thought id share it with you.

A380

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
very well made
but who is the laptop for?? Behind copilot's seat.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sovietman
very well made
but who is the laptop for?? Behind copilot's seat.

Thats the Electronic Flightbag - a bunch of reference materials pertaining to both the individual flight and the general aircraft.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
One almost wonders if this is a simulator. Didn't know there was a SLEW button in real aircraft.

The joysticks and fold-out laptops are a welcome advance in commercial aviation.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Well its not a sim thats for sure. take a look at the window for one thing as well when you 180 looking at the back thats not how the back of most commercial sims that I've seen look. There is another 380 in the picture as well as rain on the canopy window. I'd like s sim like that for my B-day ( jks
)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

I have detected no cup-holders. Is that a design deficiency?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
I have detected no cup-holders. Is that a design deficiency?

lol what are you talking about! This plane is loaded with them!

2 for the pilot

2 for the co-piot

2 for each person in the jump seats

Us pilots are heavy drinkers you know. But last I checked it wasn't allowed in the cockpit. Mind you since its built in France the french would say its for the wine which helps them fly better.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

I know, that was more a sarcastic comment on my part. Still, I wonder how a real aircraft would slew? Here's what I'm talking about:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
lol what are you talking about! This plane is loaded with them!

...2 for the pilot

...2 for the co-piot

...2 for each person in the jump seats

[images of quote excluded]

I thought they were pen holders !

On topic, I think it looks quite advanced. Not being a pilot - which side does the captain sit?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Im no expert ot even close, i have played Microsoft flight sim and i think the captain sits on the left hand side, Like an American car driver?

I love things like this makes you feel like your there.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
Im no expert ot even close, i have played Microsoft flight sim and i think the captain sits on the left hand side, Like an American car driver?

I love things like this makes you feel like your there.

The Captain, or Pilot In Charge (PIC) sits on either side, the Pilot Flying (PF) typically sits in the left seat, and the Pilot Not Flying (PNF) typically in the right - however the PF can also fly from the right seat if he so desires.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

That may be true, but every time we (me in the Ground-School class) refer to the Co-pilot, we say "guy in the right-seat". Lol, I guess we just assume that every airline has their Pilots in Command in the left and Co-pilot on the right.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

That may be true, but every time we (me in the Ground-School class) refer to the Co-pilot, we say "guy in the right-seat". Lol, I guess we just assume that every airline has their Pilots in Command in the left and Co-pilot on the right.

Shattered OUT...

Ahh, now you are mixing terms - the original question was 'where does the captain sit?', and the answer is 'wherever he damn pleases'
You use the term 'co-pilot', which wasn't in the original question.

The co-pilot is the Pilot Not Flying, he is the pilot doing the ancillary tasks such as making call outs (speed, altitude etc), and tradition has him sat in the right hand seat to do those tasks, but in reality he can do those tasks from the left hand seat as well, although he has a bit of a stretch to reach some of the handles etc (the undercarriage controls on large civil airliners is positioned to the right hand side of the centre console).

So, generally yes most flights are conducted with the PF in the left hand seat and the PNF in the right, but its not guaranteed.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
It's a nice office for sure, but i'm not gonna trade sidestick for performance.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The reason why I stick to this configuration is because Captain and Co-pilot is their job title, and thus they get paid separate salaries.

The difference is quite large actually, you see what you said Richard would work a lot better if Captains didn't make at most 200 thousand more dollars a year than their Co-pilots.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
The reason why I stick to this configuration is because Captain and Co-pilot is their job title, and thus they get paid separate salaries.

The difference is quite large actually, you see what you said Richard would work a lot better if Captains didn't make at most 200 thousand more dollars a year than their Co-pilots.

Shattered OUT...

Actually, in common parlance, Captain and First Officer are their job titles, but Pilot Flying and Pilot Not Flying denotes their job role on any particular flight - there is no guarantee that the Captain will be the one flying the aircraft on any particular flight, but he will be the Pilot In Charge as he is the senior member of the flying cockpit crew (if a more senior member is jump seating, he is not a flying member and thus is not the PIC, although he may take part in any cockpit CRM).

The Captain still makes his money because he is the senior pilot, he is the PIC at all times, even though he may not be actually flying the aircraft or sat in the left hand seat.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Is it really so important who sits where
?

Well I have 2 more questions. I know you have the answers

Maybe it sounds really stupid, but what are those two humps in the middle of the cockpit??

Cockpit

And why isn't HUD on the window?? It could be projected on the window, since liquid crystal window would be too expensive.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Sorry for posting again, but I just found out that the page has been disabled on the Airbus's request.

Here is the translated version of what it says:

I am sorry, at the request of Airbus, the page you have requested is temporarily unavailable
Click here for the panoreportage on the delivery of the first Airbus A380
Gilles Vidal - contact : [email protected] Gilles Vidal - contact: [email protected]

I am sorry, due the request from Airbus SAS, the requested page has been made temporarily disabled. Click here to see the panoreportage on delivery of the first Airbus A380.
Gilles Vidal - contact : [email protected] Gilles Vidal - contact: [email protected]

Some mistakes but it's pretty good for automatic translator.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sovietman
Sorry for posting again, but I just found out that the page has been disabled on the Airbus's request.

It's got to be that mysterious SLEW button. I mentioned this earlier but no one bit:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

First of all, Captain is always sitting left, F/O always right. Only with one exception: During Cruise and only then, a specially trained First Officer, called Senior First Officer (SFO) is allowed to sit on the left side (for long range flying).
But that doesn't mean the Captain is always pilot flying. One Crewmember is PF and one PNF, but the roles can change (even during the flight).

Now the mysterious "slew" button: I had it on my old dot matrix printer as well. It is a paper feed button, since it is thermal printing paper on a roll. For everyone who is interested in a deep look into the aircraft systems,
www.smartcockpit.com is a good scource for that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join