It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK High court lifts gag on media to report Iraqi abuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

UK High court lifts gag on media to report Iraqi abuses

news.bbc.co.uk

A legal order which had stopped the media from reporting allegations of torture by British troops in Iraq has been lifted by the High Court.
The abuse is said to have taken place after British soldiers were ambushed between Basra and Amara in May 2004.

After the exchange of fire that followed, 31 Iraqis were reportedly taken into British custody at Abu Naji.

Their families allege that 22 of them died and nine were tortured. The MoD denied any wrongdoing by UK troops.

Iraqi death certificates are said to state that the dead Iraqis showed signs of torture and mutilation.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Eesh...The media was previously BLOCKED from reporting this! This may open a whole other can of worms...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Indeed, this is again one of those stories

Someone gonna say: "It's old story", another one: "It's war, whadd'ya expect?", another is concerned but accepts this as a cost of our safety; some other ones will condemn this act as another atrocity that takes place in illegal war, and in my opinion those are right.

It is comforting to know that media can be gagged in such manner, for it means less disrupting news

I wonder when we are so censored that we can't even read politically incorrect posts on forums (not taking self-censorship in account à la 'ignore'-button).

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Well, not only is the media gagged, but they are completely directed as to what they should choose for acceptable fodder to feed us, by the corporations who own them. 'Free' press is nothing more than a fallacy. The press is nothing more than a corporate sponsored control tool anymore.

top topics

join