It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush says he can bypass Defense act

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Corum

The problem is, we can't do anything anymore. We have no say. They have created a power vacuum. The entire Supreme court is stacked with cronies of the admin, so they can break any law they want and be held unaccountable.. The electoral and voting systems are totally corrupted. You don't stand a chance unless you're pre-screened and approved by the major corps / Military Industrial complex. And even then, the voting machine process is totally corrupt, so even if you think you're voting for the lesser of the two evils, in the end, your vote results are manipulated by TPTB for their ideal special-interest serving candidate.

It is really frustrating.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sorry BigBert, I'm right here. feel free to take the argument apart if you wish. I stand by my statements. And, yes, other Presidents as stated in previous posts had much more power than President Bush.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

Do you mean the same Supreme Court that gave Bush the Presidency, and the same President that gave some of those Justices their job? Somehow I see a conflict of interest there, but then again what do I know.

DCP

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

your right....congress gave ALL the justices their jobs. It might be a conflict of interest but the Justices are on for life so they usually vote however they want

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bugsmasher

Amazing that we have a Bush supporter in the crowd. Sad that the news around the world apparently doesn't reach you.

Well let's see, the economy is doing fine.

Please, please cite your sources for this. Sales are down, outsourcing is up. All this talk of a recession makes it come to pass. Check motorcycle sales for an example. Here's an excerpt from a Harley news link:

American retail sales of new H-D motorcycles dropped 14.2 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2007 compared to the same period in 2006

Canadian sales, however, were up 46 per cent for the quarter, meaning Deeley Harley-Davidson sold 605 more motorcycles in the October – December period than they did in the same three months of 2006.

U.S. motorcycle purchases are down because of fears that the American economy is about to nose dive. Big bike purchases south of the border dropped nine per cent overall for the fourth quarter.

cmgonline.com...

This is just one example that took me 2 mins. to find. I've stated a source, now it's your turn.

Unemployment is stable at about 5% which until recently was judged as full employment.

Here's a graph I found demonstrating the consistent rise.

You're right about it being about 5%, but things are progressing down a bad road, and if these recession talks are true, which it is definitely seeming so, the numbers are going to get much worse.

New housing starts are stable. So much for a decimated economy eh?

Check this out from 1 yr. ago: www.marketwatch.com...
And a more recent one: www.usatoday.com...
And a forecast into what's to come: www.neatideas.com...

I think I've said enough on this issue.

As far as killing ten of thousands of people, I think that that is an over statement. Something like 3000 people died on 911.

WTF? Are you serious? New studies coming out claiming over 1 million dead. We've lost 4,000 soldiers, and killed hundreds of thousands of Middle Easterners, or did you forget about them? Hundreds of thousands of deaths rest on the head of W. You've got to be kidding me. NOT tens of thousands, more like HUNDREDS of thousands.

Oh, sorry he did that too right?

I just think it's kind of funny you post this in a conspiracy forum.

The militant islamic faction has killed many more than we have

Do I really need to get into this? Are you for a perpetual war? And I ask you to look over those numbers again. Over 1 million dead. Al-Qaeda stronger than ever. Hated by the world. Created new enemies. Are now threatened by Russia and China, 2 nuclear powers. Losing our freedoms. etc. etc. etc. Which of those things should I go with?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

The point you missed was that if the law was unconstitutional in the first place, then the Executive Branch isn't obliged to obey it. The 3 branches all have certain powers, that the other branches can't take away. That's how checks and balances work.

You are right, I stand corrected.
I should have taken more time to read it over.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Gee, what a suprise. Dubby the decider bypassing more laws to serve his agenda of never-ending wars and occupation of foreign territory. Chalk one more up for 'the decider'.

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I have mixed emotions. On one hand, we need to have a presence in Iraq after the forces leave. This is all about national interests..Its been a big part of every empire. The US isnt the one who invented it.

The war on terror needs a strong mid east country that has close relations with washington.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Your graph only serves to prove my point about unemployment. As I stated earlier, until recently, 5% unemployment was considered "full" employment.
Excellent example of sales using motorcycles. Motorcycles are a luxury item. When money is prevalent, lots of sales. When buyers are more cautious, sales go down. Again, it doesn't mean that our economy is falling like a brick.
As far as the recession goes, we won't know whether or not we are in one for several months. BTW a recession is classified as negative growth for two consecutive quarters.
Lastly, I didn't say I was a "Bush suporter" per se, I just stated that he had done a better job than BJ Billy.
Gee this is fun.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purduegrad05

Think about it, there are still those who still believe Osama brought down the towers....PLEASE
Best thing we can do is to just get on with our lives and protect those we love and care for, that's what I'm doing.

Cheers!!

Purduegrad05

O agree whole heartedly that the once black and white line of demarcation defining the two party ideaologys is now not just faded but completley undistinguishable. So much so that I am seriously thinking of writing simon cowel a letter to see if he couldn't come up with a better way to discover the Next Great American President.

Congressman Robert Wexlar has not given up on his impeachment of the Vice President however. I got an email from his office the day before the state of the dis-union address and they are making lot more noise then Kucinich was.

- Con

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Bugsmasher

Excellent example of sales using motorcycles. Motorcycles are a luxury item. When money is prevalent, lots of sales. When buyers are more cautious, sales go down.

Exactly my point. Exactly. Can you see where this is starting to go? If not I'm wasting my time.

And like I said, you're right about the 5%. I'm not disputing that. However look at the drop in luxury items, PLUS the consistent rising in unemployment, put 2 and 2 together, and you have an upcoming recession. The above quote is EXACTLY how it works.

Thank you for strengthening my point.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by Dagar

Yep-He uses the constitution on the rare occasion that it suits his needs, the rest of the time it doesn't exist to him. I think his exact words were, "it's just a god damn piece of paper."

That statement that was alleged to have been made was reported by-

www.capitolhillblue.com...

but-

en.wikiquote.org...

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face. It's just a goddamn piece of paper!
Originally cited here but later retracted due to lack of verifiable source."

But Nothing! He said it and more reliable source then a self editing wiki substantiate it. If his statements haven't shaken you blind allegiance to the assclown in the oval office, I would point to his ACTIONS that his contemptuous signing orders, his manipulating evidence lieing to congress and the world to get people support a war he stood to gain profit from are actions that speak VOLUMES over and above the undeniable statements already over heard and verified regarding his complete willful want and disregard for our Constitution. He was a liar when he was in college, a liar when he took the oath of office, a liar when he told you he would support the troops and cut the troops funding for proper health care. In Fact he is the absolute biggest failure to hold the office.

How anyone can continue to ignore the facts in lieu of the overwhelming proof not to mention the evidence that would come out in discovery if he wouldn't keep key people from testifying using his abuse of executive privilege.

President Bush is a Thug a liar a cheat and a thief. If you want to ignore the facts as more suspicions become facts everyday with this inept POS for a President, then you do it at the risk of your own embarrassment. Whether they or not people can express that sentiment here on these boards isn't a question of ridicule or personal attacks regarding differences in opinion, it would be more likely issues with accepting the truth, admitting you are wrong or problems with ones comprehension skills and abilities. Bush can fool you once and shame on him but unlike his inability to articulate the most simple anecdotal wisdom, I will complete it for him and say, if he fools you again, shame on you.

If he fools you yet once again, knowing what an idiot HE is,, what that says about you has its own meaning written

all over it.

- Con

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bugsmasher
Well let's see, the economy is doing fine. The stock market - maybe not so good. Unemployment is stable at about 5% which until recently was judged as full employment. New housing starts are stable. So much for a decimated economy eh?
As far as killing ten of thousands of people, I think that that is an over statement. Something like 3000 people died on 911. Oh, sorry he did that too right? The militant islamic faction has killed many more than we have.
Sheesh :-I

undoubtedly you are not living in the same world I am
the economy sucks, gas is higher than it's ever been,
those padded unemployment rates do not account for
those thousands of people who have used up all the
unemployment time allowed OR the businesses who
have gone bankrupt. We are in a war based on lies
and the lies just keep coming. 75,000 jobs lost during
Bush's watch and you think things are fine ??
You need a reality check brother

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
reply to post by Digital_Reality

The point you missed was that if the law was unconstitutional in the first place, then the Executive Branch isn't obliged to obey it. The 3 branches all have certain powers, that the other branches can't take away. That's how checks and balances work.

Bush thumbs his nose at the very people his administration chose to apply his agenda and even THEY said he was wrong. The Supreme court is beneath him apparently.

Who needs checks and balances when the very person where the buck should stop, throws everyone under the bus to save his own ass to avoid prosecution.

Bush is a coward and BOZO the clown garners more prestige more executive respect as a Commander in Chief.

- Con

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

To echo the last post, the Executive Branch does indeed have powers that the Legislative Branch does not. There is a reason for it, and that's what the framers of the Constitution intended. Each Branch of the government have certain powers not given to the others. It's the concept of checks and balances. Those who have actually read the Contitution understand this.
The Legislative Branch has tried on many occasions to try to ramrod the Executive. Say what you want about Dubya, but he doesn't cave in. I may be the only one here that thinks he's done a much better job of running the country than BJ Bill.
MHO

The "certain" powers you keep talking about as if YOU are the only one to understand the constitution, are academic. Please share with us your enhanced enlightenment the specific powers that he has that the other three branches have abrogated or attempted to subjugate the President from doing his job. Share with is the details or any supreme court rulings where this president was found blameless. Show me a single one the OCL had the consent of the Supreme court to make. Show us one where David Addingtons interpretation of executive power is one the Supreme Court has ruled not illegal and Ill show you one Bush has already violated that is case law. Please show us why a President with a less then 30 percent approval rating has had more people in the senate and congress with pending impeachement orders is still worthy of your respect. I beseach you to share your knowledge that gives you the inspiration to defend a President that has found more ways to make millions off laws HE signed that he knew would make millions off the backs of already strapped taxpayers. One thing he swore under oath to do was to defend the constitution and he spits on it. He swore to defend the American people from all enemys foriegn and domestic and he became the enemy of the people. This clown has had more fingers busted in more heinous cookie jars it is simply un-deniable so repugnant is this mans perfomance that just ONE of them is enough for even HIM to assume he neither earned your respect much less deserved your respect.

It is like an abused wife continuing to defend a husband who beats her.

They just can't see how wrong they are to defend them

but everyone else does,, it's really quite pathetic

One can only feel sorry

- Con

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

You are right, I stand corrected.
I should have taken more time to read it over.

No, you are NOT incorrect, if anything,, you are confused,

you see Blue never made that "the point" and is only assuming a law was unconstitutional. Which law that is he has failed to mention and the reason he doesn't mention it is because until you brought it up, the "point" he says you missed, was never made. Yeah he says it was AFTER you bring it to light but I sure as hell don't see where he makes the point about unconstitutional laws he isn't obliged to obey, do you?

No of course you don't and it is one of many discontextual tactics used to dance around debates like this. When it comes to Bush,, I don't think there is much left to debate anymore. He has done SO much to ruin this country that even if you could find one thing noble he has done,, it is so negligible in contrast to the failures in everything else.

There are many laws that are considered to be un-constitutional and many of them were brought up to be heard by the supreme court in the landmark case "We the people" vs. The United States regarding redress of grievances. Many claim that taxing labor is un-constitutional yet if you refuse to pay taxes it is against the law

The very issues waiting to be heard are a part of that redress where the Bush clan has been quick to cover their ass as many were found to be illegal. Recent were the issues regarding torture, where this cowardly clown, bush, rushed a bill thru congress where buried deep inside it was a way for him to give him and his regime, amnesty for those laws he broke and make them retro active all the way back to 911/ 2001.

Gee,, isn't that unusual that even when the jerk was told it was illegal he continued to thumb his arrogant coke filled nose at the rule of law he supports to convict you and I but excuses himself for.

This monumental hipocrisy should not be overlooked as the ONLY time he has done things like this. In fact one of the few times he DIDN'T abuse his powers of office was by commuting the sentence of scooter libby but Ironically that case his office leaked information that discovery would have found implicates Bush on a myriad of broken laws and abuse of power. The United States Lawyers guild is suing the congress for NOT impeaching this evil maniac. Then after they do, they should kick pilosi's butt out next for settling for a lame duck president rather then do the right thing and the reason she was elevated to speaker of the house in the first place. TO IMPEACH BUSH AND CHENEY then arrest and convict them as war criminals.

Hopefully they would both be hanged and buried beneath saddam hussien as being among many tyranical dictators.

- Con

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words

I guess those folks who think GW Bush is doing a great job
is only 1 in 3 according to a Gallop Poll.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Lastly, I didn't say I was a "Bush suporter" per se, I just stated that he had done a better job than BJ Billy.
Gee this is fun.

I don't know how you can make that comparison, the problem with it is Bill Clintons leadership skills his two terms were never really tested in times of crisis. He pretty much skated through some pretty good times and to the same degree has benefitted from a false reputation of being responsible for the surplus and all that other fluff. I think the economy was great during those eight years too but to a large degree was because of the Newt Gingrich Contract with America cuts in the budget.

I would argue that if Clinton,, or for that matter anyone else were in office during 911 to present, we would be in a much better place then with Bushwhacked. Bush is a complete liberal when it comes to the economy.

I may have made that mistake myself with you regarding you being a bush fan or groupie and don't want you to feel like I am coming down hard on ya your clarification. Blueraj on the otherhand epitomizes my analogy about the abused wife's blind devotion .

- Con

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
Exactly my point. Exactly. Can you see where this is starting to go? If not I'm wasting my time.

And like I said, you're right about the 5%. I'm not disputing that. However look at the drop in luxury items, PLUS the consistent rising in unemployment, put 2 and 2 together, and you have an upcoming recession. The above quote is EXACTLY how it works.

Thank you for strengthening my point.

LOL well,, try to be optimistic hehe He IS correct defining a recession however I see your point too. If I am not mistaken, if the rich aren't buying things they can afford then conventional wisdom would dictate the middle class aren't buying things they can afford.

That same wisdom says the poor can't buy a thing they NEED much less things they might want or can afford.

So we are on the precipice of a recession and I am hopeful we can navigate these troubled times without sustaining too much heartbreak.

I think this country has been through hell and back but imposing a hell of another kind where we had no right and whether our brand of hell was less then a dictator who ran the place we are the sum total of the choices we make,,

and the karmic receivership that follows.

- Con

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Don't be so surprised when you find a dictator that doesn't do what you want him or her to do. Dictators don't work for us (ie: poor slaves).

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Originally posted by krill
i wish i could say im surprised but frankly im not. bushes use of signing statements are legendary. the man makes use of them more than any other pres in history . and you know with the foia office losing its funding we may not even be able to get his records after hes gone.

Bush is too stupid to know what a signing statement is much less write one. Cheneys attorney "David Addington" wrote every single one of them.

- Con

Somehow I get the feeling that you can only dream of have the education and degrees that President Bush has. Whether you like the guy or not, you can't honestly tell that he is stupid with degrees from both Harvard and Yale.

Ya, he's so stupid he made President of one of the most powerful countries in the world. I wish I was that stupid.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join