It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush says he can bypass Defense act

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Just a quick question here, sorry to go a little off topic.

But is there anyone here on ATS, or atleast reading this thread, American or otherwise, that actually agrees with what Bush and his administration is doing? Anyone at all?

I do have a point to make, but it really depends on the response (if any) that I get to that question.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Well damn it if that isn't the most frustrating thing about not just the Bush Admin but the entire house and senate. They were all talking about change and they all got swept in and Bush said they suffered a
"thumpin" . The next day the democrats became the do nothing congress. I mean as much smak as pilosi was throwing at Bush. I mean what is GOING ON WITH THIS GOVERNMENT! The Democrats said they were going to stop sending money to Iraq but three times now they gave Bush just what he wanted.

I think Bush should be executed
- Con

I think it's quite obvious to most peope now that there is no such thing as a Republican or Democrat....they all equally dismiss the Constitution just as easy as their "counterpart". There are a few in Congress that are good people like Kucinich and Dr. Paul and a few others, but thats really about it. Those few good people get snubbed and pushed to the wayside everyday...just look at Kucinich's pushes for impeachment, it went no where!! Curious how they could impeach Clinton for getting some action at the White House while these criminals in office get more money and more leway and NO ONE cares, no indictments, nothing!!! I know what you all are thinking, "but there are those of us that do care!!" I disagree, if we really did care we would REVOLT this instant, give the administration each a pair of cement shoes and send them down to Davey Jones locker. Face it, not going to happen. Think about it, there are still those who still believe Osama brought down the towers....PLEASE
Best thing we can do is to just get on with our lives and protect those we love and care for, that's what I'm doing.

Cheers!!

Purduegrad05

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I can only hope to see his LAST DAY IN OFFICE. I will celebrate like there's no tomorrow- i dont care who takes his place.
I dont care
He needs his ars kicked- maybe the laughter eminating from everywhere he hides will drive him more insane.
I cant wait.

I would LOVE to see a poll done in Dallas asking people if they want bush to move there after his retirement.
www.dallasnews.com...

I bet the message would be approximately something like "please stay at your ranch and dont show your face around here".

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

The Executive Branch does have certain Constitutional powers, that the Legislative Branch can't take away. You may disagree with what Bush is doing, but that doesn't mean that it isn't within his rights as the Executive, to do them. Popularity isn't a requirement for Constitutionality.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dagar

Yep-He uses the constitution on the rare occasion that it suits his needs, the rest of the time it doesn't exist to him. I think his exact words were, "it's just a god damn piece of paper."

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by Dagar

Yep-He uses the constitution on the rare occasion that it suits his needs, the rest of the time it doesn't exist to him. I think his exact words were, "it's just a god damn piece of paper."

That statement that was alleged to have been made was reported by-

www.capitolhillblue.com...

but-

en.wikiquote.org...

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face. It's just a goddamn piece of paper!
Originally cited here but later retracted due to lack of verifiable source."

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Whats the point of making a bill a law if its just going to be broken.
I guess Bush is above the law huh?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

The point you missed was that if the law was unconstitutional in the first place, then the Executive Branch isn't obliged to obey it. The 3 branches all have certain powers, that the other branches can't take away. That's how checks and balances work.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
To echo the last post, the Executive Branch does indeed have powers that the Legislative Branch does not. There is a reason for it, and that's what the framers of the Constitution intended. Each Branch of the government have certain powers not given to the others. It's the concept of checks and balances. Those who have actually read the Contitution understand this.
The Legislative Branch has tried on many occasions to try to ramrod the Executive. Say what you want about Dubya, but he doesn't cave in. I may be the only one here that thinks he's done a much better job of running the country than BJ Bill.
MHO

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bugsmasher

Uh yeah, decimating our economy and killing tens of thousands of people to serve his agendas. Bang up job there.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Well let's see, the economy is doing fine. The stock market - maybe not so good. Unemployment is stable at about 5% which until recently was judged as full employment. New housing starts are stable. So much for a decimated economy eh?
As far as killing ten of thousands of people, I think that that is an over statement. Something like 3000 people died on 911. Oh, sorry he did that too right? The militant islamic faction has killed many more than we have.
Sheesh :-I

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
The Executive Branch does have certain Constitutional powers, that the Legislative Branch can't take away. You may disagree with what Bush is doing, but that doesn't mean that it isn't within his rights as the Executive, to do them. Popularity isn't a requirement for Constitutionality.

And yet, everything he does unconstitutionally, you're right there defending him.

The delegates endorsed the unanimous findings of a bipartisan task force which had decried George Bush's use of signing statements "as an unconstitutional power grab." Bush has issued more than 800 challenges (more than all previous presidents combined) to provisions of passed laws, including whistleblower protection, protection of federally funded research from political interference, and the ban on torture.

This is an important step forward by a bipartisan, establishment institution. It signals widespread support for reining in an Executive branch run amok that imperils our Republic. This administration has demeaned our democracy. It's high time to follow the lead of the ABA. Demand that every candidate for office this November commit to repairing the damage done to our system of checks and balances by the Bush administration.

www.thenation.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Prior to FDR, Nixon, and Carter, the Executive Branch had even more power than Bush. I see it more like fighting the erosion of Executive powers, more than trying to grab new ones.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bugsmasher
Well let's see, the economy is doing fine. The stock market - maybe not so good. Unemployment is stable at about 5% which until recently was judged as full employment. New housing starts are stable. So much for a decimated economy eh?

If the economy is so great, why is Bush giving us extra tax money to "fix" it?

Bush calls for quick, temporary tax relief to spur economy

www.cnn.com...

Yeah, the economy is doing wonderful.

As far as killing ten of thousands of people, I think that that is an over statement. Something like 3000 people died on 911. Oh, sorry he did that too right? The militant islamic faction has killed many more than we have.

Umm. We are at war. What does 9/11 victims have to do with it?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Well, you can "see it" anyway you want. Doesn't change facts.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

So you disagree that at in times past, the Executive Branch had powers that it no longer has?

DCP

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The way i see it, either Bush is interpreting the Constitution wrong or the Congress is interpreting the Constitution wrong, and passed a law that over their powers(Ron Paul people??) Disagreements like this happen in our form of government. then it is up to the Supreme Court to decide who is violating the Constitution.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I was just wondering and this could be just my normally high paranoia, but, what if GWB decided that the 22nd Amendment was unconstitutional because it interfered with his ability to carry out his "presidential" intentions? Is there any contingency plan in the Constitution for dealing with a President who regards the Constitution as secondary to their own grand designs. Not that I'm aware of anyway; the framers of that wonderful document certainly could not have dreamed that someone as meglomaniacal as Bush would come along.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bugsmasher

Bad, bad place to post that.

Let me guess, after Griff's response, you'll never show again. Just like all these other people who sign up for an account, say something ridiculous (yep, your post fits here), and then disappear after being torn down.

I would LOVE to take your post apart piece by piece, but I doubt we'll ever hear from you again.

[edit on 2/1/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I hope that if another future president acts as Bush has acted the American people won't put up with it this time? I respect the average American but my God I don't know why you've put up with this fool for so many years. He can't even provide a logical debate, every time I see him speaking live I sit there cringing, waiting for his next verbal error, I've actually been embarrassed for him in the past. Now he shapes the law into what he wants it to be whether the people like it or not, what arrogance and what lack of respect he shows to the American people. I look forward to a better future for you after this guy goes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join