It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush says he can bypass Defense act

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Bush says he can bypass Defense act

www.boston.com

WASHINGTON - President Bush this week declared that he has the power to bypass four laws, including a prohibition against using federal funds to establish permanent US military bases in Iraq, that Congress passed as part of a new defense bill.

Bush made the assertion in a signing statement that he issued late Monday after signing the National Defense Authorization Act for 2008. In the signing statement, Bush asserted that four sections of the bill unconstitutionally infringe on his powers, and so the executive branch is not bound to obey them.

"Provisions of the act . . . purport to impose requirements that could inhibit the president's ability to carry out his constitutional obligations to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, to protect national security, to supervise the executive branch, and to execute his authority as commander in chief," Bush said. "The executive branch shall construe such provisions in a manner consistent with the constitutional authority of the President."

One section Bush targeted created a statute that forbids spending taxpayer money "to establish any military installation or base for the purpose of providing for the permanent stationing of United States Armed Forces in Iraq" or "to exercise United States control of the oil resources of Iraq."

The Bush administration is negotiating a long-term agreement with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. The agreement is to include the basing of US troops in Iraq after 2008, as well as security guarantees and other economic and political ties between the United States and Iraq.

The negotiations have drawn fire in part because
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-1-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Gee, what a suprise. Dubby the decider bypassing more laws to serve his agenda of never-ending wars and occupation of foreign territory. Chalk one more up for 'the decider'.

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I liked the NY Times article...

Sadly, it's too late to consider impeachment. I hope whomever gets elected next won't continue this tradition, for it only contributes to the declining presence of the Constitution in our government.

I'd like to see someone hold Bush accountable for all these signing statements... lol... accountability... *sigh*

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I can only hope to see his LAST DAY IN OFFICE. I will celebrate like there's no tomorrow- i dont care who takes his place.
I dont care
He needs his ars kicked- maybe the laughter eminating from everywhere he hides will drive him more insane.
I cant wait.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I can only hope to see his LAST DAY IN OFFICE. I will celebrate like there's no tomorrow- i dont care who takes his place.
I dont care
He needs his ars kicked- maybe the laughter eminating from everywhere he hides will drive him more insane.
I cant wait.

Amen, sister!

While I will not vote for one of the front-running candidates, in the end, absolutely anyone will be better than this brain-dead embarrassment we are enduring now.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

Don't be so sure. It's looking frighteningly more like John McInsane may be the next handpicked Military Industrial complex serving thug. Although he's unquestioningly more articulate than Bush, he's even more bloodthirsty. The guy has no qualms with marching us straight into armegeddon.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

sadly he is just a front,a face for the larger power structure that is responsible for so much suffering.they will never go away unless there are massive changes to the way your government operates.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The scary part is that even the true believers are now seeing the truth and realizing they were lied to all along. One lie means they cannot be trusted on anything.

Bush will ignore any laws that get in the way of the NWO PNAC plans for the world, and the law be damned!! he has no regard for the rule of law, he is a lawless and corrupt and insane little man who would rather be slumped in a corner of a bar somewhere with his cowboy hat pulled down low. He is a twisted and weak sycophant of the real Yale crowd, former gayboy with Yale roomie Victor Ashe, whom Bushie made an Ambassador to some obscure place as payback for silence about college days.

Of course the new Caligula can bypass all the laws, he is God!!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I wish that Bush some beach would fall of the earth.
He is the epitome of the worst thing to happen
in American History. Him and whoever he works for.

One thing I can say for sure

11 months he'll be unemployed ...... THANK GOD !!!

He's a lame duck ..... without the duck part

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
No surpises there I dont think GWB has used the constitution once yet patriot act spying the judge scandal iraq no declaration of war.

Since when has he ever went by laws.

hes a dictator above the law.

Dictator A ruler who is not restricted by a constitution, laws or any opposition.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I remember Watergate. There are some similarities that kind of echo between the Nixon adminstration and the current one. Notice one fundamental difference though (very important maybe for some) and that's the role of the media this time vs Watergate/Nixon. Same management team at 1600 Penn. Ave.

This time the media was ineffective in accomplishing the "Deny Ignorance" thing. Easy to understand though, throw some in jail... intimidate or "buy" the rest. The change in the media relationship, let's say between the Clinton administration and this one is so easy to see over time. Warfare changes much.

The President can do pretty much what he wants with any act it would seem; it only has few qualifiers realated to the needs of the day. No one's stopped him yet and what ever efforts get lost in the media-noise anyway. Tough deal.

I'm a Canadian so I'm sort of not wacked as bad by the whole Dem vs Rep thing media wars thing that some of my US friends talk about. It's brutal to watch from a distance - decades. Ottawa ain't that much better just 10 times less in scale.

Would the 43rd President of The United States of America ever be called to account in a judicial setting as a defendant or witness under oath?

I here Paraguay is nice this time of year or next. Maybe take a couple "Fifths" with me for the ride.

Vic

[edit on 31-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I think you'd have a lot more responses than this by now, except I think people aren't nearly as shocked anymore when hearing about Bush going outside of law and policy.

Yep, nothing surprising here.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

LOL, no doubt. Just another day at the office, with Dubya wiping his arse with what little of the constitution he hasn't already shredded.

"Laws? What laws? I'm the DECIDER, and I've decided that no law applies to me and my cronies!"

It's pretty sad when this has just become accepted, and we are all powerless to stop these law-decimating thugs.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Some other tidbits from the article on our lawbreaker in chief:

Bush's frequent use of signing statements to advance aggressive theories of executive power has been a hallmark of his presidency. Previous presidents occasionally used the device, but Bush has challenged more sections of bills than all his predecessors combined - among them, a ban on torture.

Bush signing statements prompted widespread controversy when his record came to light in 2006. After Democrats took over Congress in 2007, Bush initially issued fewer and less aggressive signing statements. But his new statement returned to the previous approach, observers said.

The signing statement also targeted a provision in the defense bill that strengthens protections for whistle-blowers working for companies that hold government contracts. The new law expands employees' ability to disclose wrongdoing without being fired, and it gives greater responsibility to federal inspectors general to investigate complaints of retaliation.

In addition, Bush targeted a section that requires intelligence agencies to turn over "any existing intelligence assessment, report, estimate or legal opinion" requested by the leaders of the House and Senate armed services committees within 45 days. If the president wants to assert executive privilege to deny the request, the law says, White House counsel must do so in writing.

Finally, Bush's signing statement raised constitutional questions about a section of the bill that established an independent, bipartisan "Commission on Wartime Contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan" to investigate allegations of waste, mismanagement, and excessive force by contractors.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
i wish i could say im surprised but frankly im not. bushes use of signing statements are legendary. the man makes use of them more than any other pres in history . and you know with the foia office losing its funding we may not even be able to get his records after hes gone.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Bush asserted that four sections of the bill unconstitutionally infringe on his powers

Wasn't he the one that said that the constitution was only a piece of paper? Seems to me he's now using that 'piece of paper' to justify his actions.

Aaaah, hypocrisy in action

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Just a quick show of hands, is any one surspirsed ?....... didnt think so.

Bush has done alot of stuff in his time, and who ever is pulling his strings has been clever, very clever. Is this not a bit sloppy ?

Fox

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Don't be so sure. It's looking frighteningly more like John McInsane may be the next handpicked Military Industrial complex serving thug. Although he's unquestioningly more articulate than Bush, he's even more bloodthirsty. The guy has no qualms with marching us straight into armegeddon.

Explain all this bloodthirsty killer, thug insane psycho diatribe. I agree He is a hawk but where are you getting all this blood n guts McCain stuff from ? Rush Limbaugh?

- Con

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by krill
i wish i could say im surprised but frankly im not. bushes use of signing statements are legendary. the man makes use of them more than any other pres in history . and you know with the foia office losing its funding we may not even be able to get his records after hes gone.

Bush is too stupid to know what a signing statement is much less write one. Cheneys attorney "David Addington" wrote every single one of them.

- Con

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

It's pretty sad when this has just become accepted, and we are all powerless to stop these law-decimating thugs.

Well damn it if that isn't the most frustrating thing about not just the Bush Admin but the entire house and senate. They were all talking about change and they all got swept in and Bush said they suffered a
"thumpin" . The next day the democrats became the do nothing congress. I mean as much smak as pilosi was throwing at Bush. I mean what is GOING ON WITH THIS GOVERNMENT! The Democrats said they were going to stop sending money to Iraq but three times now they gave Bush just what he wanted.

I think Bush should be executed

- Con

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join