It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Satan Evil?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i've never quite understood how satan is evil from anything but a subjective view of "god = good, therefore enemy of god = bad"

could someone please explain how the being is objectively evil?

Because the bible told Christians it is so.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
maybe because he loves God the most and wants people be faithful so he makes you think there is a difference between good and evil so that the good looks brighter than it would standing alone with no comparison.

whatever your belief system, its your faith that drives its truth, if you believe you have sinned and will go to hell, there is no doubt in my mind that is exactly where your soul will go.
If you dont believe anything, you'll probably become a ghost, or join God depending on your faith. (I have faith that the things that are REAL cannot be proven in the illusory realm)

I personally know my disconnection from God is an illusion, as there is ONLY God, and anything else is just an expression of the infinite vanity God has in creating things within himself that can reflect that same consciousness that created creation in the first place.

Evil is like a warped reflection, its not real, and it doesnt even really look like that.

listen, AND hear.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It amazes me how people have an opinion outside of the Bible. He is a Biblical figure, a rebel Angel. I mean what is your source of information for your opinion, if not the Bible? Personal experience? I mean really who is Satan?

Isaiah 14:12-17
How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! 13 You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far north; 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High.’ 15 But you are brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the Pit. 16 Those who see you will stare at you, and ponder over you: ‘Is this the man who made the earth tremble, who shook kingdoms, 17 who made the world like a desert and overthrew its cities, who did not let his prisoners go home?’"

Ok what makes him evil? Number one is Pride Notice after it says "You said in your heart" how many times it says "I will" "I will" "I will"
It's all about EGO --- Jesus washed feet --- Satan is all pride ---

"I will make myself like the most high" being the big one.

[edit on 3/20/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Why does it amaze you? You dont think God talks with people who dont officially call themselves christian?

or better yet, If I cant read and am deaf and blind, can't I still communicate with god? words bias everything. God reveals the truth to ALL who seek.

I have to doubt my fellow man and all that he has ever said or done, but I do not have to doubt the voice of God.

Its just an assumption, but I would think God would talk more to people who have little faith rather than people who already understand. And how would either know? Would either group listen to or believe each other? The kid with no religion and a relationship with God would understand perfectly, but the group trying to push man made terminology affected by man made bias will think the kid is delusional or lying; or see that familiar spark, smile, and walk away.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by psychedeliack

So God talks to you and tells you the details about Satan? Really? Out Loud?

Yeah I find that surprising!

I didn't say anything about being Christian -you put words in my mouth. I said how do you know outside of the Bible.

[edit on 3/20/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I base my understanding of satan from the Bible.
I do not expect you to argue with me, directly.
I kind of got this thread back active to try to explain how or why satan is evil. That is what the OP was asking.
I was trying to state things in the most geneal way, possible.
I have been very specific on the subject of satan, in other threads lately.
To get to the point, if I can, the term "satan" does not actually mean a person. At least, not in all cases.
For one example, from something that has been discussed lately, Judas, once he decided to go ahead with his plan, and actually walked out the door, the bible says the devil intered him.
Does that mean a person intered Judas, or was it an overwhelming compulsion to carry out a wicked act?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

The Bible tells us that Angels can be spirits or manifest bodies. Satan is an Angel. In the instance of Judas, Satan took spirit form and possessed him.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Satan is, at the heart of things, a temptor. He doesn't corrupt, he offers the chance to corrupt yourself. It's that whole free will thing...

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

You are right we are tempted according to our desire...

James 1
14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

"dragged away and enticed" almost sounds like fishing talk doesn't it?

Temptation is strategic as well, remember when Jesus was tempted in the desert.... He was tempted with power and things he knew he "deserved". The part I finf the most interesting is when Jesus passed through the temptations it says Satan "left him for a more opportune time". i.e. when he was weak...

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Satan is, at the heart of things, a temptor. He doesn't corrupt, he offers the chance to corrupt yourself. It's that whole free will thing...

Jesus, being in the form of a man, was tempted by the devil.
That does not mean that all men will have that same sort of experience, as Jesus had.
The devil recognized the potential of Jesus' possible, future accomplisments, and made an offer in accordance.
It would have done no good to offer Jesus less than he could have gotten on his own.
We, most likely, will never meet the devil, in person because we do not pose a threat to him, and will most likely lead a corrupted lifestyle, anyway.
Jesus had to be tested, just as if he was only a powerfull and ambitious man.
There are spirits that exist, who are more than happy to play the part of Temptor, but that does not mean there is some massively powwerfull entity, named Lucifer, who is a threat to the very kingdom of god, and works in opposition to God.
Jesus, said "Get behind me, Satan."
That could mean, "I am more powerfull than you, and you will be subject to me."

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
We "meet the Devil" every day, in the form of temptations to be less than we can be, or should be. All the temptations aren't grand delusions designed to shatter the world, or even us at one time. They are designed to lure us into temptation, thus shattering our links with "god's way".

Evil doesn't come with brimstone, sulfur, bats wings, and demonic powers, it comes cloaked in prettiness, pettiness, small violations of common decency towards others, a small dishonesty here, a small dishonesty there, and lo, you've stepped into the "devils" playground, and are in danger of being lost forever.

Evil is generally subtle, or at least slipping into evil. Many times they, the evil person, doesn't even realize they're doing evil, regardless of the act, they can justify it in any number of ways.

Does an act remain evil, regardless of intent? Yes...to the outside viewer it does indeed. But not inside our own heads, or at least not often. There is always a justification.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The term satan actually goes back before Christianity. Obvious to some, not so much to others. However, I won't go into it. Personally, Satan has been my savior and I cherish his presence in my life everyday.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

however, i was talking from a biblical point of view. satan did offer knowledge to humanity...knowledge that is necessary to having free will
in a sense, satan gave us true free will, the knowledge of what is good and what is bad

without that we'd just have to go by what others say.

and well...he's also become extra biblical

john milton claims to have been inspired by the holy spirit when he wrote paradise lost, why should his claim be any less valid than all those who wrote books that are considered biblical canon?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

john milton claims to have been inspired by the holy spirit when he wrote paradise lost, why should his claim be any less valid than all those who wrote books that are considered biblical canon?

I guess it boils down to what the majority of people deem as 'holy' or 'worthy' of canon.

One strong opinion doesn't necessarilly constitute immediate glorification.

I could be personally swept up by the Spirit, and yet, this does not in itself create a 'Holy aperture' to be good in the Vatican circle. Top dogs.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I wrote a story about my girlfriend being the Queen of Heaven.
It went into great detail how she lived before she came to earth and why and all the conversations that took place between the different charectors, including myself.
I felt inspired by God to write it and was guided by the holy spirit to make it accurate.
I absolutely belived in it and thought it would be a blessing to the world.
I do not think the church, or any one else is going to proclaim my girlfriend as the Queen of Heaven.
She can be, to me. Idolatry allowed by god, himself, how perfect.
Milton can have his dream come true and spend eternity in the Hell that he created for everyone else to live in.
As for me, no, thanks, I like my dream, better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join