It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Satan Evil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
i've never quite understood how satan is evil from anything but a subjective view of "god = good, therefore enemy of god = bad"

could someone please explain how the being is objectively evil?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Generally....it's a Christin thing.
Most other religions don't have the "Good vs. Evil" thing.
In Wicca, the only "Evil" is within yourself.
So I guess, Satan is the Christain way of telling you "people arn't evil, it's a evil enity that tells you to be evil."
In reality, people are evil. (not all people, but im talking rapist, and murderers.)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It always seemed to me that Satan serves as the scapegoat for christianity. Rather than admit that evil comes from your own soul, most like to blame others. "I didn't mean to kill him! The devil made me do it!" Some people just need to grow up and take responsibility.
On a side note, have you read John Milton's Paradise Lost? I know that its a work of fiction, but if you read between the lines you can feel sympathy for Lucifer (aka Satan).
With alot of things in this world you've got to look between the lines. We have to guess at the meaning of things. Because Satan probably doesn't exist, we can't just ask him for his side of the story. Which means people make whatever guess they feel like, most are probably wrong.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Satan is completely deprived of Grace which is love...

There are souls out there madness wth absolutely no love, ive seen them in person, but they are deprived of graces.... like Satan..

Grace is like a movement of the soul. You know if you see an animal getting abused and that (fealing) inside of compassion, that right there is grace moving inside you...

some dont have that.

So Satan is the worst case, he has (no) grace. If he was in human form he would walk by and punch you in the face and laugh, spit in your face and fling rocks at your head.....

thats a description of how hateful he is and wants us to be in hell. You got to appretiate love madness, because I have seen people like that my whole life...

Satan is just the ultimate height of that deprivation of grace...

I hpe you can understand that...

peace.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ive always wondered why Satan punishes you for being bad when hes supposed to be bad himself. Isn't that like God punishing you for being good?.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Original_Sin

Ive always wondered why Satan punishes you for being bad when hes supposed to be bad himself. Isn't that like God punishing you for being good?.

I understand the logic there but does Satan really punish?

Reminds me of The Scorpion and the Frog story...the scorpion stings the frog because its his nature....the scorpion is just being a scorpion.

Likewise the Devil is just being the devil...he brings torment, decay, pain and death....it's his nature.

Not to mention that the Devil just uses us to get back at God...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Since I see myself as an atheist, I'm just going to look at this from a philosophical point of view.

Is it truly his nature to be evil? Or has it just been an unwanted duty thrust upon him? Can evil never be good? We live in a gray world, and almost nothing is black and white as some would have us believe.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by Original_Sin

I understand the logic there but does Satan really punish?

Reminds me of The Scorpion and the Frog story...the scorpion stings the frog because its his nature....the scorpion is just being a scorpion.

Likewise the Devil is just being the devil...he brings torment, decay, pain and death....it's his nature.

Not to mention that the Devil just uses us to get back at God...

Although im not a religious person, that question has puzzled me for years lol
Thanks for the explanation, it makes a little more sense now

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Because it's just a job? LOL. Hypothetically speaking, "if" there were a "Satan" why the all the ill intent to the human minds? Maybe the choice in dance partners? Can't get shoes to match the hoof-line "just right". Frustration? Isn't getting any? Delivery entity doesn't smile? Age wrinkles? Hirsutism? The infidelity of the fragmentation of market? Doesn't like the colour red or green or blue? Has competitors for attention? Fish in a barrel and no amount of shootin' will calm the dance for any Satan. PO'd the vampire/goths are upstaging the show... likely in the old marketplace. Ain't gettin' no ink or souls since JL's Soul-Vacuum "personna" fired up in a jovial way?

Yeah, don't mess with Satan and Satan's associates. Their ours already.
I love the South Park with "tender introspective fat boy" Satan and a Middle Eastern "former business associate of the USA" and that implication that both characters had an alternate sexual orientation as an underlying theme. Well written story. Same as the fables of olde.

Yeah, Satan why the ill intent? If there were a Satan it might be fun to spell Satan off for a day or two and manifest something tangible as a PR prezzy but it would be hard to compete with US and Israeli foreign policy. Y' know at least get a smile and do a "solid" for Satan. It'd be tough. Satan's market is going away fast and being replaced by the usurper, Virtual Satan. If you are reading this via a terminal then you see? Old Satan required belief, new Satan is a little more real-world, the real-virtual-world, where you live. LOL. Who's got your back? Blu-Ray will be the last optical disk of the Old Satan generation. New Satan's a bit more neurally-flexible I'd say.

Yeah, Satan as a "conceptual construct" could be a fable from old stories by small-time writers who couldn't "see" today. Pehaps there really is a Satan. Satan is you, if you so choose.
Vive la diversite!

Hey, if kiddies were never indoctrinated or socialized to "know" of the "Big S"... as another member said very astutely, "anything is possible". I agree.

Vic

[edit on 31-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Who knows? Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed..or the dutch oven..

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

but where are you getting that it's satan's nature...
the bible is scarce on information on the guy.
he's apparently the serpent in the garden...when there's really no cause to believe so. the serpent is clearly a separate entity until someone decides to link it well after the story is written.

could you even point out where all of this is

reply to post by JesusisTruth

i said OBJECTIVE.
or you could at least prove that aforementioned genocidal being is capable of grace...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Jesus described him as a liar and a murderer from the beginning. He wanted to kill Job because he was righteous but was allowed to torment him for a while. His twisted goal is to drag as many souls down with him into hell as possible. In Isaiah we learn of his hubris of his attempt to replace God, so he has been at war with the creator.

I think because he hates God, he hates those who are created in God's image, humans, and he especially hates those who are called by God, Christians and Jews. So even if you like the devil, as many here do, you have the problem that he hates you.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Jesus described him as a liar and a murderer from the beginning.

well, that's the opinion of one person. i was asking specifically for something objective...

He wanted to kill Job because he was righteous but was allowed to torment him for a while.

and god shares no blame for the evil doing for allowing it to happen?

His twisted goal is to drag as many souls down with him into hell as possible.

but we don't know what exactly goes on in hell that's bad.
there's that whole "lake of fire" thing, but that's not satan's doing, that's god

In Isaiah we learn of his hubris of his attempt to replace God, so he has been at war with the creator.

2 questions:
1: why does god deserve to be god?
2: how do you know that god was the creator?

I think because he hates God, he hates those who are created in God's image, humans, and he especially hates those who are called by God, Christians and Jews.

god does give you plenty of reasons to hate him/her/it
...actually, most of the old testament is a reason to hate aforementioned deity

So even if you like the devil, as many here do, you have the problem that he hates you.

well, i like the character... i don't actually believe said being is real

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
" aforesaid is capable of grace "

Man you do play the advocate well madness.

God creaed love madness, it stems from him... You can not, I repeat cannotdescribe ho strong his love is, we just have tiny bits of it in our souls, and you see this is what seperates humility to pride....

Pride doesnt humble itself out to try and understand....

The stories of the OT were the result of evil villiages whos members were waring against Gods chosen people as God was trying to establish his kingdom on earth....

Now, God knows the heart, he knows who will grow up evil and not... You dont decide that, you have to be vry prideful to sit there and act like your concerned for the souls of the OT who were slain in war against Gods chosen souls

as if (you) created them. No, no, God did, and hes the only one that loves them, and who knows how many ofthem he ket in heaven for himself..

He loves all his creatures, I know, Ive felt it in my soul many times what he feals, by his grace....

If God made moter teresa right, and placed in her many graces, not hers, but for her hard work and dilligence she recieved man gaces..

Then why does God mke someone more innocent and peacful and loving more than himself?

He cant, its from him. I mean a literal 10 year old can understand this mdness.

peace.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Satan.. Hmm well I could say this with all my heart.. I belive that Satan runs the churches, and is the root of most the evil today.
Satan is the greatest con of them all.. And when I think con, I think of the 3 Ab. faiths we have going on today..
Good bad? Ugly.. Depends what side of the fence you are standing..
Its the theory of realitvity at work here..

What is evil for one, is the most blessed goodness of all mankind..
IS he or she which fools the sheep? You make the call...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I wouldn't say that Satan is evil, in fact he is quite necessary in the Christian faith. And even, at times, more necessary than God himself. Without Satan we would have nobody to blame for the atrocities of the world, disease, famine, and natural disasters. He is a necessary scapegoat for the Christian community and is the embodiment of a common enemy of Christians everywhere. Christians enjoy playing with the idea that the entire universe is divided into God/Satan or Good/Evil, when in actuality it is never that simple.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
God creaed love madness, it stems from him... You can not, I repeat cannotdescribe ho strong his love is, we just have tiny bits of it in our souls, and you see this is what seperates humility to pride....

It is true that we cannot describe how strong God's love is, it is quite hard to describe something that was never there to begin with. God's Love? Love means designing flawed children, diseases that kill your children, natural disasters that massacre your children, turning a blind eye when your children commit genocide against one another, and eternally punishing your children with torture and fire for not obeying your horrible horrible laws?

Now, God knows the heart, he knows who will grow up evil and not... You dont decide that, you have to be vry prideful to sit there and act like your concerned for the souls of the OT who were slain in war against Gods chosen souls

And you have to be extraordinarily prideful or arrogant in defending the God of the old testament. You think you're doing your imaginary friend a favor by defending his first-degree murders?

peace.

Spare us your patronization.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
satan is not Evil he's just mis-understood, he's actually a very nice guy, he got a bad rap in the bible and hasn been able to live it down since, we still wind him up over it at the bi centenial creators BBQ, unlike jesus who is a bit of a weasel cause he's been duckin and dodgein me cause he owes me twenty quid from a poker game about a thousand years ago!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
There are a trinity of Satan.
1)The person.
2)The concept of an enemy.
3)The milieu of caos, caused by evil.

The satan who could be considered a person, is not actually a person, like us but a spiritual being that maifests itself in a form of an individual, when he is in heaven.

The satan concept is dealt with in a highly symbolic manner, in the Book of Revelation. It is dealt with as a whole, something that has been acting ugainst us throughout history.
It is symbolicly utterly destroyed at the end of history.

The depths of depravety in the human soul, is often placed on satan as a way to transfer our fears away from ourselves, in order to continue our existance. If we realized our own inhearant evil we would cease to exist because there would be one big mass suicide.

Ok, that only says who or what satan is, but does not answer the question, why is satan evil.
Evil is evil. Deal with it.
Face the fact that the evil is inside you, and people around you.
Not everyone is consumed with evil, and some people are almost without any evil. But, we all suffer from it, one way, or another.
Religion holds out the promise, that if we turn away from evil and develop our charectors, we will be among the blessed who will live in a world without evil. A world where "satan" is no more.

[edit on 20-3-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by missa_wiccan_chick
In reality, people are evil. (not all people, but im talking rapist, and murderers.)

Are people evil because they rape and murder, or do they rape and murder because they are evil? Where did this 'evil' come from?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join