It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet failure hits two continents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Internet failure hits two continents

www.cnn.com

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CNN) -- Large swathes of Asia, the Middle East and north Africa had their high-technology services crippled Thursday following a widespread Internet failure which brought many businesses to a standstill and left others struggling to cope...

...Nations that have been spared the chaos include Israel -- whose traffic uses a different route -- and Lebanon and Iraq. Many Middle East governments have backup satellite systems in case of cable failure.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Wow. Such a widespread issue, which is reportedly the result of an under sea cable being cut between Alexandria, Egypt and Palermo, Italy. However, according to the article, there are a few contradictory reports as to the real cause.

I find it strangely convenient that Israel hasn't been affected.

Thoughts?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Oh. That answers this thread (Anyone else experiencing massive lag on tha intarwebs?) I posted that no one replied to.

My paranoid mind says it's actually a side effect of a new monitoring mechanism they've set up, which they've now corrected. Have you read this?

US drafting plan to allow government access to any email or Web search

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Haven't they been doin that for agea already?i mean for the past 3 years it's ben law here that all txt messages and phone calls are recorded in the e.u and given to the american government, it's gonna run out soon and will most definatly not be renewed!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Pro-genetic

But those are wiretaps on regular phone communications. This one is about wiretaps on the internet. Total Information Awareness. Oh, no, sorry. It's been changed to Terrorism Information Awareness.

Nothing to worry about, then.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I think a Monkey beat you posting this news.

Web disrupted 'across Mid-East'

I think you'll find that Submarine fiber cable SMW4 was disrupted somewhere between Italy and Egypt.

If you look at a map of that cable you'll see why the disruption affected who it did.

A repair ship has been dispatched, and the fix should be in place in a couple weeks.

As for whodunit, that could be anything from commercial fishing to ET's. Personally I think it was Col. Mustard, with the knife, in the kitchen, behind Proffessor Plum, with Miss Scarlet's help.

[edit on 1/31/08 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm on cheap dial up Netzero and i received a notice on the 27th saying that the service may be interrupted during the next few days on account of some software problem.

HMMMMM.....Government huh?
TU24 disruption?

Frankly, i dont care-

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
As mentioned this story has already been posted: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add your thoughts and comments to the existing thread.

Closed.

top topics

join