It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay hit with legal action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Pirate Bay hit with legal action

news.bbc.co.uk

Four men who run one of the most popular file-sharing sites in the world have been charged with conspiracy to break copyright law in Sweden.

The Pirate Bay's servers do not store copyrighted material but offer links to the download location of films, TV programmes, albums and software.

The website is said to have between 10 and 15 million users around the world and is supported by online advertising.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This is interesting for anyone who has ever needed a fle of some description.

A question I have is will the companies who buy advertising space on pirate bay also be charged as part of the conspiracy to keep the site alive and able to do what it does?

If so, it would nice to know who advertises on there. I wonder how many well known companies use the advertising space?

The Pirate Bay is being targeted because it so popular, so high-profile, and so flagrant in its actions
Darren Waters, Technology editor, BBC News website

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
If they are allowed to get taken down over LINKING. Doesn't that make the entire internet pretty much obsolete?

I mean, why should it only be for this website that links? Links are copyrighted material? I'm confused. Internet 2 here we come. One sector at a time.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I dont know what exactly has been filed against them but they have not been taken offline. Currently the site is still up and running.

I think they have been taken down before but they simply set up servers in a country where they cant be touched

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I hope this wont go to far. I remember when they first got taken down, they survived that and I think they will survive this.

Like you said, they are only linking to other sites and points of interest. I think this is more likely just some red tape slap that people are hoping will stick.

It could set a dangerous precident for Bit Torrent though, Id hate to see my fave sites go down...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

even linking is against the law
the popular site tv-links was taken down due to that and the owner was arressted and charged in wales.

its basicaly seen as distrabuting iligal meterial indirectlly or directly as they are putting all the sources in one place and making it easier for people to download and distrabute the content.

in other words i agree the whole concept of the Internet is also against the law if this is how things are as all search engines do the same job but on a wider scale

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Ahhh i see.

But where are they going to get charged? In sweden or international court? The World court for violating patents? I see this as a highwire act by the copywrite lobbyists.

The last time TPB went down was because the swedish government caved into demands of host countries to shut them down. Of course, when taken to court, the courts (in sweden) ruled in favor of TPB and back up they went.

All i really see happenening (if the charges stick) is people moving back to anon Usenet groups.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You can really only flip the authorities the bird so many times before they figure out a way to get you. They really have made a target of themselves with the way they laugh at the authorities. I hope they don't go down, but when they finally do... they are going to go down hard.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Pirate Bay is not just linking, but a provider of torrent links.

For those that are aware of torrents, it is links yes, but more importantly, peer-to-peer file sharing.

Now when you cross the line from just linking to pages that are publically available, to linking to torrent peers for the sole purpose of propagating copyrighted materials illegally, then you are breaking the law and in most countries.

Yes if it were JUST links, then it would be ok, but when it is the inbetween for torrent connections, now you are facilitating the peer-to-peer functionality.

Torrents are the current focus of the large copyright holders, and one of the hardest to prosecute.

Seems like legal precidents are being set, and likely will be upheld.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by smirkley

It's still linking, no matter how they try to spin it. Unless they find out that Pirate Bay has massive storage drives and servers with petabyte upon petabyte of games, movies, music (etc), and is providing them FROM those sources; then yes, thats pretty illegal.

Either way, it's all leading up to have one of these bad boys in every house to even access the internet(2) (which will be more like chinas net). So lets enjoy it while we can.

www.buraq.com...
- easy to use USB fingerprint scanner! wee

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Peace Frog]

new topics

top topics

join