It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid BC15 ("discovered" yesterday) closer than Tu24 and it's closest dist. to earth is Today?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Two questions:

1). Could mother earth be responsible for pushing celestial bodies away by increasing its magnetic output?

2). Could the object, first viewed yesterday, actually be a Spacecraft? 100 feet they said? That is approximately the size of craft that the Texas witnesses said.

Just asking.

AAC

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe another has come this close. And again it was only discovered yesterday

I agree the magnetosphere photo looks more lit up then tu24. I said on the other post about tu24 that I felt there was a connection between these events and the weather. Does anyone have any input on that. Can anyone explain the bizarre and severe weather patterns not only in the US but around the world. Multiple feet of snow in China which fell in a matter of few days. Multiple feet of snow in California and Washington state. Drastic temperature swings across the US. Very strong winds reported across the US.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... Here is another really good discussion on this same topic. Also isn't ATSmix going to do an interview w/ Alex in the near future? Seems like they were asking for intelligent questions to ask him, if so this is our chance!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Yes, there's been a lot of talk recently about NEOs and possible asteroid impacts. I recently recalled a report conveniently published by NASA in March 2007 promoting the use of nuclear weapons to deflect PHOs (potentially hazardous objects).

www.nasa.gov...

In the impulsive category, the use of a nuclear device was found to be the most effective means to deflect a PHO. Because of the large amount of energy delivered, nuclear devices would require the least amount of detailed information about the threatening object, reducing the need for detailed characterization. While detonation of a nuclear device on or below the surface of a threatening object was found to be 10-100 times more efficient than detonating a nuclear device above the surface, the standoff detonation would be less likely to fragment the target. A nuclear standoff mission could be designed knowing only the orbit and approximate mass of the threat, and missions could be carried out incrementally to reach the required amount of deflection. Additional information about the object’s mass and physical properties would perhaps increase the effectiveness, but likely would not be required to accomplish the goal. It should be noted that because of restrictions found in Article IV of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies, use of a nuclear device would likely require prior international coordination. The study team also examined conventional explosives, but found they were ineffective against most threats.

The obvious result from the latest round of fear is for the public to allow, possibly even request, the deployment of nuclear weapons in space (for safety purposes, of course).

**EDIT** The above quote is from the bottom of page 20 in the PDF version of the NASA report to Congress.

[edit on 31/1/08 by Evasius]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Here is a very interesting article that explains the frustration of the few dedicated to creating a system for transmission of information regarding NEO's. It also gives an honest look at the size of asteroids that could destroy a small city.

www.space.com...

An unprecedented asteroid scare in January had astronomers worried for a few hours over a rock that had a 1-in-4 chance of hitting Earth during the next few days. At the time, some of the scientists were unsure who should be notified. The event has prompted NASA to set up a formal process for notifying top officials in the future of any impending impacts, SPACE.com has learned.

The object was thought to be relatively small. At the time, astronomers estimated it was 100 feet (30 meters) wide. Were a rock that size to target Earth, scientists aren't sure what would happen. Something slightly smaller would probably explode brilliantly but harmlessly in the atmosphere, theory predicts. Something slightly larger could explode closer to the ground and devastate an area the size of a small city.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by antar]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yeah and that was 4 YEARS AGO according to the date on the article. Yet still as TU24 approached and some people online discussed it and caused some panic among some people, NASA once again dropped the ball. Why wasn't this chain of notification covered in all the media reports surrounding this? It would have relieved some panic among the informed unlike the statement they made in the media release, "no chance for impact or to effect the earth in any way". Dumb it down for the dumb people right. Except some of us are not so dumb and like to ask questions and fight the authority!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
As we inch closer to 2012 and the center gravitational Field of our galaxy we will see a whole lot more of them. Rocks like this do not have the mass to move in and out of the belt and we are moving toward the belt where we may see hundreds of them.
Revelations: Chapter 6 verse 13. And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken by a mighty wind. This chapter says it all, Read it and think about events happening today.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Eventhough our technologies are much more advanced than in the days of the Tunguska Incident, I still have to acknowledge that we are "Fare Game" for any astral object to the effect of living in a very hostile and high speed shooting galary, which is our true reality of our planetary existance.
The reason why I bring up Tunguska is that they are still trying to figure that incident out, and up to this particular point, it has lead to conspiracy theories and more questions.
I, for one, believe the same chain of event's could take place with little or no warning. It's just now being looked at with the reverance it deserve's. If by chance an object such as Tunguska would happen again, there is no doubt of the devistation it would cause over a populated area.
Another thing that I have ponderd on, is "What if we spot a NEO closer to earth than previously recorded and fail to see the one coming from behind?" (So to speak)

At 7:15am on June 30, 1908, a blue-white fireball flew over the remote region of central Siberia near the Stony Tunguska River and exploded with the force of a 10- to 15- megaton hydrogen bomb. The explosion wiped out approximately 60 million trees across an area of 2,000 square kilometers. Witnesses from hundreds of miles away saw an immense pillar of fire and heard thundering claps. Those closest to the blast were deafened by the noise and knocked off their feet when the thermal wave swept through the area. Miraculously, no one was killed.

Source:
www.paranormalwatch.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Don't listen to NASA or any of the mainstream astronomy websites like Space.com -- they know not of what they speak.

They completely misunderstand comets, by still continuing to refer to them as "dirty snowballs" when observational data from comet probes have already refuted the theory of "icy" comets. They further refuse to take into account the role electricity plays in space, and as a result do not understand how asteroids interact with their environment, i.e. our planet and solar system.

Their predictions about TU24 were wrong, and will continue to be wrong for other asteroids. Asteroids and large meteors are rarely, if ever, going to impact the Earth in the first place.

Now why is that?

thunderbolts.info...

In the Electric Universe view, any object coming far from the earth will carry a different charge. As it encounters lower layers of the Earth's plasma sheath, the voltage between the object and the layer could abruptly increase and the object begin to visibly discharge.

At first it would be surrounded by a “glow discharge”, a diffuse luminescence similar to St. Elmo’s fire or to high-altitude “elves”. As the voltage rises, the discharge would jump to “arc” mode and the object would become an electrode at the focus of upper-atmospheric charge. At this point material would begin to ablate in a sputtering process as well as from velocity-caused air friction.

If the current flow becomes too extreme, capacitive discharges within the meteor will cause a violent outburst of electricity with sudden bright flashes. The meteor is now called a "bolide," or flaring meteor.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This as well is an interesting site to read, so much information to digest as the system prepares to deal with the uncertain future of our global community and the inevitable catastrophes which will most certainly be coming in the near future for all of us.

There are particular difficulties with extreme events, which can affect several countries, while the largest events can have global consequences. The hazards of supervolcanic eruptions and asteroid impacts could cause global disaster with threats to civilization and deaths of billions of people. Although these are very rare events, they will happen and require consideration. More frequent and smaller events in the wrong place at the wrong time could have very large human, environmental and economic effects. A sustained effort is needed to identify places at risk and take steps to apply science before the events occur.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Posted this on another topic - but it answers the same questions regarding the magnetosphere spikes.

SOLVED

Finally found a website worthwhile to explain all of the magnetosphere fluctuations lately. No its not due to any asteroid or other object in Earth's vicinity. It's simple and expected variations of the Sun.

Magnetosphere monitoring system:
www2.nict.go.jp...

The link below shows current solar activity and warnings/alerts.
Note that this explains our recent activity! (as shown above and in previous posts)
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

The recent activity with the magnetosphere is not common but it does happen from time to time due to a recurring coronal hole in the sun.

For future reference you can see today's space weather forecast here:

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Oh and its referred to as Geomagnetic storm

"IIA. Geophysical Activity Summary 30/2100Z to 31/2100Z:
The geomagnetic field was quiet to active. Solar wind data from ACE
show a marked increase in velocity, density, magnetic field and
temperature. These observations are consistent with the onset of a
coronal hole high speed stream. The greater than 2 MeV electron
flux at geosynchronous orbit was at high levels.

IIB. Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is
expected to be mostly unsettled with isolated active conditions due
to the influence of a recurrent coronal hole."

[edit on 31-1-2008 by SolPower]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Angrylightbulb
All of these asteroids flying by us recently got me thinking what if this is an alien race's attempt to either attack us or test our defensive capabilities.

well if it is
we have made utter fools of ourselves
cuz we ain't fired a single shot

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Wow I think we need to think about this objectively for a second.

Entering a new asteroid field? Perhaps. Or is it more likely that just a few more eyes were turned to the skies after TU24?

Think about it, how many people do you know have telescopes and/or would say astronomy is a hobby of theirs? How about do it for a living? Even if there's 3000 major telescopes in the US pointed up to the sky with a resolution close enough to actually SEE these things, that leaves ... well ... a very LARGE portion of the sky open with no one viewing it.

I think in all likelihood it's just more/better observations that are the root cause of increased sightings. Which is a GOOD thing I think.

However we'll see after this satellite thing falls ... I do not doubt one bit the world's governments' abilities to be hiding/causing something of this nature. I just don't see it ... yet.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
All these asteroids lately reminds me of the websites concerning Nibiru and the coming galactic alignment of 2012, both of which supposedly will cause an increase of NEOs. I dont knw that I believe any of that Nibiru stuff but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Any comments?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Have any of you guys read up on us passing through the Galactic Central Plane? I'm going from memory here so don't quote me but it happens at the end of what's called a Great Year, measured by the procession of the quinox through the celestial zodiac. If you've ever seen someone with an unbalanced tire, that wobbles around the axis, that is about as close I can come to describing the motion, but we pass through the plane at regular intervals, the last one just happens to be about the last time History was recorded. The water bearer, IMO, may refer to a celstial flood. Maybe instead of Nibiru, we should be looking for a cyclic cataclysm courtesy of our orbit around galactic central.
One of the effects of that passage is supposed to be a huge increase in meteor showers and asteroids. Some speculate that along with a debris field there, there is some kind of galatic gravitational wave or something in this plane that could be a major wrench in the works.
I've seen a hell of alot more shooting stars lately than I used to, now that I think about it.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I could be wrong, but aren't we relativelly "new" at tracking asteroids? I could swear I heard a statistic stating we were only aware of about 1-2% of them.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I'm not to afraid knowing that its only 12 m - 27 m. Not to big, just depends what it's made out of thats all.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Get Ready to Rock or at least watch them
The Pan-Starrs wide field asteroid telescope, started in 2005, will not be fully operational until the fourth telescope is in service sometime in 2009.
When fully operational, the Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response System (Pan-STARRS) project will deeply scan most of the night sky several times a month. About three-quarters of the sky are visible from the Hawaiian Islands, so cross your fingers we don't get blindsided.
www.space.com...

As Three Dog Night once sang - Eli's coming - No not an asteroid
- a Giant of a man

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Eagle1229]

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Eagle1229]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moserious
Also, if something of this size was coming right at earth would it burn up in the atmosphere or not? I am guessing that it depends on what it's made of, but what size asteroids are dangerous? 88 feet seems kinda big but I want to know what size asteroid may not "burn up". Basically, is there a size threshold for being dangerous?

You're correct! Whether an asteroid/meteorite hits the Earth or not depends upon certain parameters, some of which are:

Density and composition.
Size and weight.
Ab-initio velocity as it enters Earth's atmosphere.
Angle of entry.
Temperature/pressure within the funnel of descent.

If you want to calculate the size of an impact crater then click here....

Cheers!

[edit on 1-2-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

"How can asteroids of this size just 'happen' in our solar system undetected?"

One answer to that may be that there are objects that may take hundreds or even thousands of years to complete an orbit, and if they haven't come around within the existence of science's ability to observe them, they are new knowledge.

As for the press, they did not report a non-event because it didn't happen. A near-miss was still a miss.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Braddotcom]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join