It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Oldest and Most Haunted City - St. Augustine, Florida (Pics)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
We probably all heard and seen by now the spooky footage of the famous St Augustine lighthouse ghost hunt done by the show Ghost Hunters, but St Augustine paranormal activity isn't only confined to the lighthouse. America's oldest city is downright spooky. Well because of Ghost Hunters, my kids have been begging that our next family vacation include St Augustine.... so I gave in..

While making my travel arrangements for a 3 day getaway to this intriguing city in early April, I have found that just about every thing in this city, hotels, parks, restuarants, and of course cemetaries are all haunted. So our little trip has now turned into a ghost hunt and we will be attempting to document any paranormal activity we can find. I'll be listing all the places that we will be visiting and would welcome any suggestions and tips on where to visit. I've heard of the "ghost tours" and will definitely be taking one of those, however if anyone has recommendations to a particular one, please let me know.

I would also like information on what affordable ghost hunting tools to take along. So far it's cameras and a digital recorder, however I am interested in the possibility of getting an EMF detector, but I'm unsure and unfamiliar with the technology and don't know what to get.

I would also like tips from our professional ghost hunters and advice regarding spiritual protection for my sons. We don't want any ancient spaniard following us home down I-95 when our stay is over. Part of the reason for this trip is for my own personal development, I know what I feel and the things I have seen, I'm curious to know how much I will be actually able to see and feel in such a haunted place. This is the first time I'll be actually "seeking" the paranormal out.

Known Haunted Places in St. Augustine on our "must see" list:
www.staugustinelighthouse.com...

Castillo De San Marcos

Old St. Augustine Village

of course we'll visit the Fountain of Youth, but I'm not familiar if that is considered a haunted location.

tips and suggestions welcomed

[edit on 4-29-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
"I am interested in the possibility of getting an EMF detector"

I am not that knowledgable on the topic, but I have seen them on E-Bay for $40-200 dollars. Just run a search on EMF Detectors. I plan on getting one of the cheaper ones to play with and see how it does. I have also seen digital recorders there for varying prices and options.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by paladin1852

I have a cheap one I got from one of the ghost tour companies in st augustine. Can't say that I've ever used it to find a ghost but it's pretty cool to walk around your house and see all the things that actually emit emp's. I dont think I paid more than $25.00 for it.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

I live right up the street from st augustine. It's a very cool place to explore especially at night. There are a bunch of old grave yards that are really cool imparticularly this one here

maps.google.com...,+FL&fb=1&cid=29886598,-81309364,5554068718127065068&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

This grave yard has a few interesting pyramid shaped headstones that suposedly have supernatural powers.

Sorry I think the link is screwed up heres the address

St Augustine National Cemetery‎
104 Marine St
St Augustine, FL 32084

[edit on 24-3-2008 by photobug]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   

worldwatcher,

u2u me if you need any travel tips I live right up the street and am pretty familiar with st. augustine. YOu should also check out flagler college. An extremely haunted place. I have had friends that went to school there tell me some pretty weird stories. Also Zorayda Castle is supposed to be haunted as well.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
thank you for the replies. Photobug, my boys are 9 and 11 what's going to blow their minds there other than the Lighthouse and the Fort?

any recommendations on which tour company is the best? I've heard the trolley ghost tour is cheesy??? don't know what that means, but I don't want to waste money on the wrong tour.

We leave Sunday for the trip

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
hmmmm,

I cant really reccomend a specific ghost tour, I've done all of them I think. The ones I liked the best were the walking tours. Theres also one that rides you around in a hearse that was pretty cool.

As far as other st sugustine things.......

World golf village has an Imax

Ripleys believe it or not mueseum is really cool

Kennedy space center is just about 2 hours down the road that would be great for two boys.

Deep sea fishing they have half day and full day out of comanche cove which is close to downtown st augustine

I wouldn't waste my time on the fountain of youth pretty lame

Theres also an old jail which is suppose to be haunted thats pretty neat

spend a day around st george street it's right accross fromt he fort a lot of shops and old buildings the old slave market is there in the square with a bunch of old cannons and stuff good for at least a walk through.

In the evening after the sun goes down all you really need to do is just walk around the downtown area a little bit. Besides the graveyard I pointed out there are a few others. Most everything is in walking dstance.

Theres also a smaller fort called fort Matansas which is neat especially becasue you have to take a ferry to get out to it.

A little further down south on Anastastia island is an alligator farm
marineland and washington oaks state park. The beaches by the park and by marineland are neat becasue they have a lot of coquina rocks along the beach.

Hope this helps if you need anything else just ask

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
thank you for being my personal tour guide

I appreciate the suggestions. What about food? I'm sure there's the usual chain restuarants, but I like places that the locals go to, anything not to be missed?

and regarding the tours, I looked online and this one seems promising...
www.haunted-st-augustine.com...
was this one that you did? I'll have to make reservations it seems, so if you say go for it... I will.

and thanks again

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I havn't seen that one. But it looks great Id go for it. as far as eating goes any of the places in downtown are great. you just need to walk around a bit. There are a lot of really cool places on the side streets you might think you are in a residentail area or that nothing is there but thats where all the great places to eat are.

Heres a general map. Outlined in blue is the area to walk around that has lots of old shops restaurants etc. it is where most of the action is

If you head east over the bridge of lions thats the way to the alligator farm and the light house they are almost right next to each other

I also forgot to mention the city gates they are haunted as well and there is another old graveyard right by the gates.

The fort is also haunted and was also the home of Geronimo for a while after he was captured.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
once again thank you and if I can ever offer the same tour of Fort Lauderdale let me know

I'm staying on San Marco Avenue, so it looks like I will be in the middle of it all. Now I just have to hope we have nice sunny days.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Your welcome, anytime. Have a great trip. Let me know how it went when you get back.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I had a great time in St. Augustine. We enjoyed all the interesting places to visit and had lots of fun as a family... we all found things we were interested in. Here are some of the pics, I'll add more later.

St. Augustine LightHouse: Reportedly Haunted and featured on the show GhostHunters. It's 219 stairs to the top. During the day, with a steady stream of visitors up and down the stairs, there was no spooky feeling. The view is worth the climb.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ponce de Leon Statue in the Fountain of Youth Park

The "actual" landing site of Ponce de Leon and his men.

The entire place gives off a peaceful yet strange vibe, I was a little unsettled here even though the visuals are very pleasing and peaceful.
I'm not claiming ghosts... but the majority of my pics from this location all have a glow/blur to them. However pics taken earlier and later at other locations in the same day don't have the same effect.. just found it odd.
I'll revisit this park in my ghost hunt thread which will be coming as soon as i figure out all these images.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The "Old Senator". This huge oak is located in the parking lot/driveway of the Howard Johnson hotel. This live oak is reputed to be over 600 years old, is about 600 feet from the fountain of youth, and is therefore a silent witness to Juan Ponce de Leon's discovery.

btw we stayed here, decent family room, we had a king and two doubles, it was clean and that was all we asked for, location was good, close to get to all the tourist attractions. The tourist trollies actually drive through the parking lot pointing out the tree on their way to the fountain of youth.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Glad to see you have this up and running, as far as the technology side, well I cannot help you there.

I respect that your main concern is for your boys, and have a feeling that your trip is going to be all you hope for it to be.

From the posts I have in the past of yours, you are an intuit and have probably been a medium in past lives. You will probably experice more by breaking off from the main crowds and creating a clean energy field for spirits to come to your light. So look for those obscure places that the locals find most haunted rather than where the local tourism veers you off to. The light house an exception.

Begin your protective circle now as spirits do not live in this time line and so are already in antisipation of your physical arrival. Trust your own inner sense which has protected you through your life from negative entities and yet allowed you to enjoy the benifit of past loved ones and protective energies.

You can make up protective talismans for you and your family to carry or wear, the boys will appreciate it as there is no stronger bond than a Mothers love and no greater protective force.

Although ghost hunting is not a physical repeatable phenom for all, it is more profound for some than others. Going in without expectation of seeing full body apparition and the like and rather going in simply open to the connection, your chances will improve.

When going with the boys a good measure of excitement and antisipation will heighten the energy field around you. Imagination is a must, but good solid grounded energies will make the experience more memorable.
Continued...

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
thanks antar, actually we went on the trip already, the above pics are mines.....

as for the protection, yes I admit to taking several spiritual precautions, we even smudged our hotel room...and while we were not harmed or had any "significant" spiritual interaction, it did seem that orbs were attracted to me and the boys.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Do not concern yourself with the equipment, in fact plan to go over your 'work' some other night when you can devote time and energy. Most importantly, the reason we are able to see and experience other worlds and dimensions, is that it gives us the opportunity to connect with our own inner divinity. Teaching your children to do the most important part, tuning into their own intuition and trusting it, is worth every effort.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Sorry, comp running incredibly slow with the letters, so Ive been running in and out trying to save my gardens from extinction from the bitter recored cold temps that have hit us here in the midwest over the past 5 days.

And Ghosts

[edit on 29-4-2008 by antar]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The Fort: this is the draw bridge and view of the moat...

[edit on 29-4-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join