It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is more important for you, family or country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
For me it's family. I'm not that into nationalism. And family is just too important especially my own.

Of course if I have to choose, I will choose a country that is protective and nurturing toward my family. The same goes with religion, it's important, but loyalty to religious community has its limits. Spirituality is more important, and of course family.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
God
Country
Corps

Even after all these years, I have never moved from this path.

I love my wife and my daughters. They are the lights of my life, and also very aware and I believe proud of my ethics.

So for me, it's clear and concise and never wavering.

Semper

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Appreciate the straight answer semper, a military man I assume. Duty is paramount, believe you me semper, that I know.

For me, it's much easier to treat a country as if it's a giant company. I scratch its back, it scratches mine. Let's just say, I'm very appreciative to work with a company that is beneficial for me and my family. Can't take a country too seriously. It keeps changing its stance every time it changes its leader. Sometimes you get a leader that is easy to work with and sometimes you don't.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
family

a nation is a temporary construct that we like to hold as important and meaningful, but it's eventually going to fade like all things do.

your family, on the other hand, is a literal part of you.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Family.

I don't live in the country of my birth. My son, my wife and I were all born in different countries.

It would make choosing a side if say Britain and China started playing silly buggers, very difficult....

Hmmmmm how do you become Swiss?

MonKey

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is one of the easiest questions that I have ever answered. Frankly, it's a no-brainer. Family will always come first!

I don't think it matters where one lives, under whatever flag one happens to live....people are the same everywhere and, certainly for the most part, family will always come first.

Does an American love his wife and children more than, for example, a Russian, a Chinese, an Arab? Obviously not. People are the same everywhere.

One might be dedicated and loyal to his country. One might believe in his country so much so that he is ready and willing to lay down his life for nation but, ultimately, one does so for his family. I know that, if threatened, I would defend my nation from aggressors because I love my country, but mostly, because I love my family and I would want them to be protected.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Definitely family.

I'm not proud of my country like I used to be. Even then, I would have chosen family. "Country" is just a concept shown by lines on a map that separate me from the other people of the world. We're all the same. I'm just on this side of the line.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Family.

Honestly, I couldnt possibly care any less about the United States. Not anymore at least. I served 6 years in the U.S. Army, and I have never regretted anything more than I do that. Not because I didnt like it, in fact I loved it, but now that I'm a bit older (29) I see what I was actually "protecting and defending" and it makes me sick.

The United States government is a joke, and so are the people who have allowed it to become that way. They deserve whatever harmful things may come to them.

top topics

join