It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shell's 'obscene' £13.4billion profit breaks British record

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
How much profit should one be allowed to make, before they become a crook? I don't like expensive gas either, but it's not illegal to charge me more for a product than I'd like to pay for it.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
ah well if we were charged what we would like to pay then everything would be free, and we would be living in a utopia!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

And both governments will consider it Obscene to Biggie...

Or rather, the legal term they will use is "excessive income" .. and will tax it at a bracket of 50%.

Britain just got 10 billion pounds. And the war was not for oil, huh.
Bush did say, oil sales would pay for the war. Not quite, but off of oil taxes they are bringing in CLOSE to the actual war cost. Not that it helps our deficit.. they just spend it on something else.

At least this is the way I understand it....

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Actually, it is when it is a COMMODITY and there are few to no competitors.. Or when all members of the same industry regulate a COMMODITY to a higher level on pre-agreed terms... its called fixing the markets.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You are very right, but let call it for what really is a monopoly.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I do believe Bush Rice and Cheney are buying land in dubai. so um maybe they will.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
That is nuts what you guys pay in the UK.

Plain and simple, whoever is making all the huge profit, it is placing a burden on the folks with less than optimal income. They need to drive to work. And heaven forbid they would be able to drive to some friends houses on the weekend or something.

The price of so many things are going up, but do many of our paychecks match this rise? I would say not.

Gas has more than doubled since minimum wage was $4 something an hour. Now it's $5 something an hour. Food prices are jumping up too. Electicity costs jumped up as well. Did any of you guys get a raise to help keep up with the costs of living? No, but the fat cat oil execs sure gave themselves a raise.

There is nothing wrong with making a lot of money, but when you do it at the expense of others wellfare then that's a problem.

Let's say I ran a food market, the only food market in town; and I decided I needed more profit. But, instead of attracting more customers, I decided I was just going to jack up the price of my stuff a significant amount, and make more profit the easy way. Well, sweet ol' Miss Smith suddenly can't afford to eat nutritious food anymore on her fixed income. She is now reduced to potted meat and Spam sandwiches.

This is not to say price increases don't need to happen sometimes. Costs rise, and you can't help it sometimes. Our whole system needs to take this into account as well. Those trying to survive on Social Security need to be taken care of in the event of rising prices.

The necessities of life should never be priced out of the reach of hard working people. And companies should never underpay their hard working and productive employees.

Every hard working person should have the opportunity to have a good place to live, good nutritious food, and some comfort. And they should be free to strive to do more and have more luxury items, if they decide to do so.

I heard today, on the news, warmer weather will be pushing up gas prices? What? Warmer weather? What sense does that make?

This shows that any excuse will be used to raise the gas prices. What's the real reason? When you use dumb excuses to raise the prices, then that tells me that there seems to be other underlying reasons.

You have to understand, the markets for gas and food, and such, are not just wealthy people. When you are dealing with necessities, there is a responsibility that comes with your territory. You can't just rape the people who don't make much money.

Troy

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

If the takes in britain were adjusted to those in the states(on petrol that is) the prices would be very similar, it's the tax man who makes a killing, thats why europe can afford to pay for free health care, half decent public transport, and paying money so french farmers wont make any wine!(billions for the later one)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join