It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NASCAR Marketing Jesus with "Passion"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
When Bobby Labonte takes the green flag in Sunday's Daytona 500, he'll be racing for victory � and the Lord. Yes, witnessing has moved from the revival tent to the fast lane with the merger of religion, big business, sports, movies and politics.

SuburbanChicagoNews.com

The hood of Labonte's car is both a shameless movie plug for the controversial "The Passion of the Christ," coming soon to a theater near you � and some new-style proselytizing for the Gospel.

"It's a chance to get the word out," Labonte said about the ad on his car. "Someone who is curious about Jesus and has never been saved sees the race and says, 'Hmmm, I'd like to see what that's about.' ... Maybe we can change their minds."

President Bush is also hoping to change some minds at this Sunday's race having agreed to participate in the opening ceremony. The new hot target market for politics, known as "NASCAR Dads," continues to be further defined in the marketing efforts of advertisers like "The Passion" and the President alike.

Labonte's "Hot Rod of God"

Related ATSNN News:
Bush to "Start Your Engines" with NASCAR

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussions:
Mel Gibson's "Passion" and the Conspiracy...

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
The hood of Labonte's car is both a shameless movie plug for the controversial "The Passion of the Christ," coming soon to a theater near you � and some new-style proselytizing for the Gospel.
[Edited on 13-2-2004 by RANT]

All those cars are just very fast billboards. Just about every industry, organization, musical group or singer, and a host of pharmacuiticals, have made their way to the body of a 750HP machine, to be seen by millions every weekend.

Aside from NASCAR allowing the sponsor advertisements to be place on the car (and nominal controls over sponsor content and quality), the actual sponsor imprinted on the body by the team is solely the choice of the team.

That was the Interstate Batteries team decision, NOT NASCAR the sanctioning body.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with advertising a movie on a nascar race car.
period.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Nothing wrong with advertising a movie on a nascar race car.
period.

Certainly not. But it is a hoot seeing the co-branding of a crucifiction with the anti-depressant Wellbutrin on the same hood. With the charge of an Interstate battery kicker!

I personally don't give a rat's ass about the movie or NASCAR. I know the entire sport is one big prostitute having spent three years on the Winston account myself working in NASCAR. What strikes me as HILARIOUS though is the new prostitution of proselytizing! And Bush's increased interest in what he calls the "Bubba" voter.

These are after all supposed to be "conservative values" not flashy hootin' n' hollaring for Bush n' Jesus. Whatever. Enjoy your Jesus race fans.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Yes and may everyone else enjoy their dark negative destinys.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO

It's not an easy path waking up from the matrix of sunday school teachings Neo, but I do my best.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
"Jesus" lost the Daytona 500.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Regardless of the negative comments about Bobby Labonte's Nascar having "The Passion Of The Christ" painted on the hood....I love it!!!!

After all, why shouldn't God have a Hot Rod? God's first car was a Plymouth. In the Old Testament it says that God drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden in a Fury! You go God!!! : )

Personally I like the thought of God's Billboard going 187+ miles per hour around an oval track! HOW EXCITING!!!!!

Charlotte's Spinning Web

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

It's not an easy path waking up from the matrix of sunday school teachings Neo, but I do my best.

Do you really?

There is a matrix of the other side too my friend.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Its clever marketing, simple. They need to sell thier product any way they can. I would have put that advertisment on every condom I could!

Deep

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Its clever marketing, simple. They need to sell thier product any way they can. I would have put that advertisment on every condom I could!

Deep

LMAO!!!!

If my applaud button worked correctly i'd be hitting it right now.

This thread has been great for ATSNN, stats indicate we're getting good google results from it.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

Deep

Do you want me to slam your religion next? or will you cry racist?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charlotte
Regardless of the negative comments about Bobby Labonte's Nascar having "The Passion Of The Christ" painted on the hood....I love it!!!!

After all, why shouldn't God have a Hot Rod? God's first car was a Plymouth. In the Old Testament it says that God drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden in a Fury! You go God!!! : )

Personally I like the thought of God's Billboard going 187+ miles per hour around an oval track! HOW EXCITING!!!!!

Charlotte's Spinning Web

Props for that! I rode shotgun through highschool in a Plymouth Fury til it flipped at 120 plus. I don't know if it was God's will or driving it like a bat out of hell, but it was spiritual.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Rant,

it was spiritual!

so did you believe in god after that?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Rant,

it was spiritual!

so did you believe in god after that?

I routinely believe and ascribe to a God THENEO. My problem has always been He doesn't believe in me.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Rant,

now now man, that cannot be true.

but then again I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing concepts here.

I know one thing going through the air at 120mph in a car with few safety features (but one hell of a strong body though!), would make me think twice!

top topics

join