It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians launch crusade against new U.S. mosque

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Christians launch crusade against new U.S. mosque

www.worldnetdaily.com

The board of zoning appeals in Sugarcreek Township, Ohio, insists its 5-0 vote against a variance request that would have permitted the Islamic Society of Greater Dayton to build the mosque was not influenced by the local First Baptist Church. The rejection, officials say, was based only on the expected sewage and traffic impact, the Dayton Daily News reported..."We just feel that Christianity is right and that Islam is wrong," Jude told the Daily News. "Therefore, we take a stand to see (a mosque) not in our community. The wonderful thing about our American culture is that you have the right to speak out against something you don't support."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I guess it's the Christian way or the highway in this country. I thought we had freedom of religion. Doesn't that mean any religion? Can I not start a church where I make the rules if I wanted to? Or will that spread fear amongst the community as I believe that is the reason why this Islamic church was turned down. I love how the pastor here feels about the wonderful thing about America. He fails to realize that people have the freedom of religion even if it is not Christianity. If a new Islamic church went up in your neck of the woods, would you become more afraid or would you accept it? I can't believe they said that because of traffic and sewer issues was the reason for the turn down. I am sure they would have said "yes" if the Baptist church wanted to expand or put up additional buildings.

www.worldnetdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Considering the type of hateful, god-fearing folks they would have had for neighbors, the approval of their variance request would probably have been only the beginning of their troubles in such a backwards, regressive community.

More knee-jerk intolerance from the ignorant people with imaginary friends.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Whoa,
This is completely unbelievable.
I have talked to Christians before a lot of them have strong feelings against Islam. It's the whole idea of : "My God is the True God and yours Isn't" mentality. I find it frightening at how much different Christians see themselves in comparison to Muslims. They believe in pretty much the same thing! Christians and Muslims share more commonalities than differences in their creed. It's madness. And I think this hatred, or discrimination is brought on by pastors and the media.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Whats up goos. I wonder if their are any other churches besides Christian/Baptist in this town. Maybe a synagogue, buddhist temple, Scientology, etc. Because surely they cannot believe that Islam is the only wrong religion.

reply to leira7

They believe in pretty much the same thing! Christians and Muslims share more commonalities than differences in their creed. It's madness. And I think this hatred, or discrimination is brought on by pastors and the media.

that is a great point. Are they not acting in the same way they dislike the Islamics acting? Proof yet again that religion,IMO, is the most hypocritical belief system known to man

[edit on 1/30/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I support their decision, even mosques in small tight-knit communities have been known to harbor extremists, and the residents of that town may have been concerned for their own safety. Either way, it doesn't mean that Muslims are prevented from practicing their faith there.
There are other more liberal places in the U.S. that are more accepting of the Islamic religion, so they can always choose to build it else where.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

How is having a church or practicing in your home going to make a difference? If they live there, they already may be extremists. But, as a Christian, you can not judge. Just because it may have happened in other small towns does not by any means mean it will happen in their town. If the people are going to cause trouble, it will happen whether they have a church or not. So, by their and your logic, they should not even allow Islamics to live in their town. Pretty extreme in itself don't you think? Why should someone have to move to another location to practice their faith. That is like me telling the pro-lifers that i feel unsafe because they may blow up the medical facility I work at so they have to go somewhere else.

[edit on 1/30/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

"Therefore, we take a stand to see (a mosque) not in our community. The wonderful thing about our American culture is that you have the right to speak out against something you don't support."

Freedom of speech, but only for those with the right speech.

HYPOCRITICAL so it makes me curl my toes.

Christianity, Islam is excactly the same in it's intolerance and fundamentalism.

Don't forget these two great Abrahamic religions share the same origin.

I personally don't have faith in any of them.

[edit spelling]

[edit on 30/1/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

that has got to be the best part of the article IMO. Such hypocrisy in the most simple of statements. I guess they can't help themselves. I wonder if the pastor even realized what he said. I agree, I have about as much faith in them as i Io in Bush's economic stimulus plan and the Fed rate cuts.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
What, no Freedom Of Religion? Looks like Islam isn't the only religion with extremists. I'm pretty sure that this is a direct violation of the very thing this country was founded on. While I personally do not believe in any god or religion, it is still a right given by our forefathers, and I hope this goes to the Supreme Court.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I support their decision, even mosques in small tight-knit communities have been known to harbor extremists, and the residents of that town may have been concerned for their own safety. Either way, it doesn't mean that Muslims are prevented from practicing their faith there.

Perhaps you can help us understand how the behavior of the "Christians" in this case is not qualified as "extremist"? I would imagine an "extremist" mindset is easily defined as one that seeks to prevent all but their own way of thinking.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
Whoa,
This is completely unbelievable.
I have talked to Christians before a lot of them have strong feelings against Islam. It's the whole idea of : "My God is the True God and yours Isn't" mentality. I find it frightening at how much different Christians see themselves in comparison to Muslims. They believe in pretty much the same thing! Christians and Muslims share more commonalities than differences in their creed. It's madness. And I think this hatred, or discrimination is brought on by pastors and the media.

I don't know what happened in the Ohio vote that denied the mosque so I can't really comment on it.

However, I think it is a generalization to assume that all Christians hate Muslims. In fact, we see Muslims, as we do all mankind, as our brothers. Any Christian who hates anyone should reflect inward on Christs message of forgiveness and love.

Also, Any Bible believing Christian also understands that Muslims were blessed by God (Ishmael, Gen. 16: 9-15)), just as were the Jews (Isaac). Now, we Christians were merely grafted onto the vine of Abraham through our belief in Jesus Christ (Romans 11:11-24) and in no way do we replace Jews or Muslims, for that matter, in God's eyes. As Paul said beautifully in Romans chapter 11, that "because of Israel's trangressions, Salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious."

Therefore, I have to question any Christian who hates, period, because that is not our message to the world and never has been. Our message to the world is Christ and Christ crucified!

Please don't assume that all christians think, feel, or act the same. There are extremes in every religion, not just Christianity, Islam, Or Judaism. Really, all three are a light to the world.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Well, we are led to believe that every observant muslim has a bomb under his hat.
I mean, from Fox to CBS, NBC?
But, some do want to 'kill em all.'

Didn't I see something on the BBC as to how that there were militant muslims buying up property and taking over a large portion of London or something?

Militant Mosques

Some people don't seem to post on ANY thread, unless there is christianity-bashing!

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This post is nonsense...it generalizes a whole group of people.
Christians launch crusade against a new mosque??? I am sure you meant
"Sugarcreek Township, Ohio Christians against new mosque", yes that would
make more sense and less generalization.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Meh. After seeing "Crusade" in the title I was expecting horses, knights, swords and a siege of Jerusalem. What a let down to find out that it was just the city zoning board that decided the fate of this mosque because of sewage concerns.

So, because Christians ask the city zoning committee to stop the expansion, they are Crusaders? I guess that makes the Writers Guild strikers blood-thirsty pirates for asking for more money?

Not even one burning arrow? This story is a tempest in a teapot.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I'm sorry to be very off topic...but I thought your avatar had an eye-patch, goatee and tattoo drawn on?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
When I read articles like this it reaffirms to me that my choice to become non-religious was a good one.

This has, is and will always remain unresolved. Like two kids fighting over a toy.

You see, I do not happen to care what religion one follows, I only know that there are good and bad to be had in all of them.

res

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Wow. Talk about leaping to conclusions.

The U.S. Census in 2000 says that this Town had a population of ~6500. Allowing for a huge amount of growth, we'll now say its ~10,000 in 2008.

I used to work in local government, in both small and large towns. In small towns, the water and sewage systems are extremely fragile and any sort of construction that will call cause a large amount of concentrated demand on the system could cause semi-permanent and damage. The mosque in question would have a capacity of 1,375 - almost 14% of the total population. That high of a concentration of people in 1 area for any length of time using water and sewer resources is not good.

Anytime that many people get to one place in a small town, the traffic problems are huge. It costs BIG MONEY to build roads and maintain them, and while this is normally a state or county function those jurisdictions will not simply give huge pots of money to whoever asks for it because someone is building a huge church. And I assure you the church is not going to want to pay the few million it would require to upgrade the roads to accommodate them.

Churches do not generate any sales, profit, or payroll local taxes - only property taxes. These taxes are never enough to fund the improvements needed, especially for a structure of this size.

Sometimes, the simplest answer is the truth. I think this is one of them. While it is fun and makes for good media coverage to call this some sort of Christian "crusade" against a Mosque, the reality is that it's just boring old logistics. I would bet that the Town invited the Mosque to build if they paid the fee for the water and sewer expansion that would be needed to accommodate them, but the builders declined. Why? Because it's much more fun to start a media circus over it, which is always going to happen when government and religion intersect.

Sorry, but I think the article is sensationalist media and people are falling for it. What happened is clear: the construction of this mosque complex would create severe externalities because its size is huge compared to the small town it is in. The church refused to pay the costs of those externalities, so they were not allowed to build. This happens every single day in thousands of communities. The only reason this is news is because this is a Mosque, and there was a christian church in the town opposing it.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Ah the only times you see your home town on the news its for the worse possible reason eh? Sugarcreek is a very small town, the actual reason for the rejection was that the city would have to pay millions to increase road sizes, and basic sewage that the city couldn't handle (its a regional mosque I believe, not just for the citizens of sugarcreek) ...

There may be a few ignorant people the DDN quoted, but the DDN has the reading level of a 6th grader.. its the most ignorant source of news on Earth... I ALMOST trust Worldnetdaily better then I do the DDN.

There are several mosques in Dayton, and in my own suburb of Dayton.. in fact its right down the street from me, the biggest one anyways, you can see it from anywhere it seems, its tower is at least 7 story's tall..

Anyways, thought I would throw in some local perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if religious intolerances played a role, but the majority was the town is to small to handle the big structure they wanted..

IMO.. you shouldn't read the WND and get all excited
.. its really not a big deal here. Actually.. if I recall... this news story is from a LONG time ago? several months at least.

Makes me chuckle.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

I know it'll ruffle a lot of feathers around here, but how it appears to me is that many Christians harbor jealousy towards Islam, or at least fear born out of insecurity about their own faith. There seems to be a constant question of "...What if they're right?" hovering there, paired with a lot of downright rabidly vehement opposition.

To make that shorter, "I think the lady doth protesteth too much!" It's also telling that these same people refuse to read the Koran, the Sunnah, the Hadith, or ANYTHING except derogatory third-person telephone opinions made by other loud angry Christians.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join