It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY City to Secede from NY State?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
www.nysun.com...

City Council member is offering legislation that would begin the process of having New York City secede from New York State.

Emboldened by Mayor Bloomberg's testimony in Albany this week that the city's taxpayers pay the state $11 billion a year more than they get back, a City Council member is offering legislation that would begin the process of having New York City secede from New York State.

Peter Vallone Jr., a Democrat who represents Queens, is pushing the idea, and the Council plans to hold a hearing on the possibility of making New York City the 51st state.

"I think secession's time has definitely come again," Mr. Vallone, who spearheaded a similar push in 2003, told The New York Sun yesterday. "If not secession, somebody please tell me what other options we have if the state is going to continue to take billions from us and give us back pennies. Should we raise taxes some more? Should we cut services some more? Or should we consider seriously going out on our own?"

Is it just me or is talk of secession been increasing lately across a range of cities and states?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Would the city seceding from the state and becoming a separate 'judicial entity' make it easier to legally contain the inhabitants of the city within its legislative boundaries in some post-x martial-law scenario in that case?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
In some interpretations of what the future may hold, ones that contain some type of Marshall Law scenario, or a tyrannical government authority seem to be in a world that has many "city-states". It seems plausible to me that there may come a time when the central government is just too much so the cities decide to take their welfare into their own hands. Maybe New York is a test of public reaction to see if the idea has any juice behind it.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This is just crazy jibberish talk. Do you all realize how many YEARS it would take, just to figure out proper name changes for these two jurisdictions if this was serious?

I have been to both NYC and Upstate New York and they are two totally different worlds, but that is what makes the state GREAT....

A_L

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
New York City has been kicking this idea around for a while, much to the same effect as Vermont and the other states / counties with secession movements.It's something a lobby group wants, it'll be be brought up, quashed, and the legislature will move on

new topics

top topics

join