It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis was in the middle of the Sahara desert.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is based off of hours of reading articles on atlantis. (www.world-mysteries.com...) This is actually a cool site. Now i know that this theory sounds far fetched but well I can explain. First of all there used to be tons of water of water in the sahara. This was during the stage of Pangea. The Sahara was located on a different latitude, what that means is that the weather was completely different. So the civilization was the most advanced because it was one of the only ones around. So after a meteor and earthquakes the lands were destroyed and turned into what now is the harshest weather terrain in the world. This theory still supports the destruction of the city. the Sahara was actually a very aquatic land back then. The water that they lived off of is still around I.E. the Nile. This is why the egyptians where the only ones who ever recorded the existence of them. The only way we know they mention it was in: Timaeus and Critias, two of Plato's dialogues, are the only existing written records which specifically refer to Atlantis.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It is a well known fact that only a few thousand years ago the Sahara was very fertile and wet. Ground penetrating radar shows a great system of rivers and lakes now dry. It is believed that a shift in the jet stream that caused the Sahara to dry up. This was not that long ago.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Huh, someone actually made my theory plausible by adding in the water factor.

My idea was that Atlantis was just swept under tens of thousands of tons of sand and i left it at that.

What this is essentially, is a theoretically plausible version of my rather half-baked idea.

I like.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Very intresting theory. I agree with it for the most bit.
If what you say is true then it also points to the fact that we were building cities way before we thought we were and it also mkes the theory of atlantis being technologically advanced more plausable.
This topic deserve more research.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
not to sound rude but why is stuff about atlantis on alternate personalities

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I find the Atlantis story to be interesting.

There are numerous reason for the basis of legends and myths. There has to be a basis for the establishment of the story/myth.

I have no problems with Atlantis being located in the middle of what is a desert today. Climate changes happen and this area was an area of water and plants. Never really considered it in this location, but on first blush, it's as good a place as other claims.

When reviewing the "written" history, one has to take into accounts of an oral legend converted to writing and consider what if any flourishes were added into the story or even later translations from one language to another. Landmarks can be added to place the location in historical context of the time the story is told or written.

I have problems when people make the leap of Atlantis dying and then somehow pyramids started appearing and this has to be related. At least that hasn't been mentioned yet.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I believe I heard from Micheal Tsarion that the Sahara has areas with trace radioactivity. He said that could have signified nuclear wars in pre-history...

The Sahara is so enormous and empty it would be the perfect hiding place for a lost civilization.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
i myself think atlantes is at the bottom of the Mediterranean sea ..i think the sea level outside the straits of Gibraltar was high than the level inside due to the Mediterranean sea being land locked.. i think an earth quake made a hole where the sea poured in drowning the atlantes land beneath the sea...

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
i myself think atlantes is at the bottom of the Mediterranean sea ..i think the sea level outside the straits of Gibraltar was high than the level inside due to the Mediterranean sea being land locked.. i think an earth quake made a hole where the sea poured in drowning the atlantes land beneath the sea...

The Mediterranean has been landlocked a couple of different times. The layers of salt deposits below the current bottom layer of mud provides the clues for this. But this has not happened in the time frame given for prehistoric man.

The Black Sea, on the other hand is an interesting candidate. But then, so is the desert location.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
if you look at google earth and zoom in a little to see the outline of the countrys and see the ocean and the under water images u can see where the earths land use to be and where it is now its kinda odd how everything spred out. makes a beliver out of me

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Read "Fingerprint of the Gods" this has some very interesting theories about the origins of civilisation and includes atlantis. When you take the bible out of the equation and consider that things have been around for more than 5000 years it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. take the blinkers off, your mind will thank you for it.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
maybe we should get some people together hire lets say 97 diggers and start digging up the desert
mind you tho the world is Huge atlantis could be any where even under your house (i doubt that tho) i believe it to be in the bermuda triangle AKA 'Devil's Triangle', 'Limbo of the Lost', 'Hoodoo Sea', 'Port of Missing Ships' and the 'Twilight Zone'.

here is a nice site about the 'Devil's Triangle'

www.crystalinks.com...

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I've always been interested in Atlantis - the Sahara Desert is a new one or me, I've never heard of that before, however it is an interesting idea and one that I need to look at. (www.mantleoftheprophet.co.uk...)
I made some videos about Atlantis and that sort of thing. Some good ideas on this site.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by mantleoftheprophet]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
good find ! interesting

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Nope. Atlantis, if it was anywhere, was right where Plato said is was, in the Atlantic Ocean, where the Azores Plateau (now islands) is. It was sunk as a result of tsunamis and earthquake fracturing of the Mid-Atlantic Fault by some kind of meteor or comet strike that also brought about the rapid end of the last major Ice Age.

www.eurekalert.org...

[edit on 26-6-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
That's interesting. People forget deserts aren't permanent features.. like lakes and etc, they're created by climate, and can change to forests quickly under the right conditions.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The stories that speak of lost civilizations are largely very accurate, the problems comes partly from our bias and ignorance and partly again from geological and climate changes which make the land then very little recognizable with the land today. The combined effect is that you might have perfectly accurate data but when you go to the site you are staring at the ocean or a desert like the Sahara that just shouldn't be there. However, all the wonderfully bias and ignorant historical records of the modern age say, "No, no, there's never been anything in the seas all through the Philippines but water and islands. Never you mind those weird natives and their stories whose ancestors spoke sanskrit and kept for us that oh so useful vedic knowledge. That's stuff's just hoowah! We've got the Lord Jesus, Alah, or some other loon to tell us what's what!"

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
the sahara desert is the largest desert in the world, by the laws of desertification (hello mister geography!) the rate that the desert expands can be backtracked,

scientists worked out that the sahara desert is roughly 4400 yrs old.........juuuust about when the bible says there was a flood.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Here is an article about the desertification of the Sahara:
www.cru.uea.ac.uk...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
What if Atlantis was a civilization and was on many continents; each piece might then present a puzzle as each puzzle-piece holder claims this or that was Atlantis. BTW does anyone know what the Egyptians called it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join