It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strength

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Basically, my question is:
Do "stronger" or more muscular people "feel" less or just as much weight as a normal person? I saw the strongest man competitions and I've started wondering about this. Do those people life 200 lb like it's a feather? Or do they feel the weight but they can push their limits.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It's all to do with training the correct muscles for the job at hand.

Long bow archers (typically from the 100 years war era) were taught from a very young age to pull a bow correctly. A long bow has a draw of between 75lbs. to 125lbs. The point of an arrow from a long bow, is not a direct hit, but to be shot up into the air, then the weight of the arrow itself would come down and, in some cases, pin a fully armoured knight to his horse. The arrow would pass right through the knights armour.

Long bow archers were highly respected.

Skeletons of ancient mariners have been found to have stress marks on their arm bones. These marks are caused by the severe wear and tear of their muscles from years of climbing rigging or pulling on ropes.

A body builder can lift large weights as he has trained him/herself up to that particular skill. If I was to try to lift the same amount of things the body builder can, I would most probably do myself a major injury.

It's the same for footballers. If I kick a ball it'll go in any direction but the one i want it to.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If your strictly speaking of personal perception, then it feels like a feather to them. When you lift weights for exercise you increase the amount of weight as you get stronger, to accomplish the same amount of muscular work or gain. Perceptively, lifting 50lbs when you're used to 40 is the same as lifting 100lbs when comfortable with 90.

You also have to take into account the activation of secondary muscles. I started stretching a few months ago and noticed an increase in strength. I realized that I was using my legs and hips more to lift. Through training and lifting, you can learn to effectively distribute the work required to lift a weight. It's amazing how a few posture adjustments can instantly change the perception of muscular strain needed to lift an object. For example, your spine knows when it is upright and supported. If it is not, movement and muscular activity are limited to protect the spine. Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Im not a power lifter or anything, but a couple of years ago at my prime I was benching 300 lbs for my one rep max and 205 lbs seemed light. Now Ive went down considerably (got lazy) and 205 feels pretty heavy. So from experience...yea it feels that light.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I lift weights alot, and yeah it is like that, i remember when i started off with 10kg dumbells per arm, it was heavy and i could only lift it so many times before the burn came, a year later that same 10kg dumbell feels the same to me as a 1kg dumbell would feel to you

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Strength needs to be sustained by regular weight training. Otherwise, when you slack off for months, you lose all your strength gained as well as your muscles. It will all go back to where it started.

I can do 400lbs 1 rep max, but when I slacked off, I could barely move it. lol
So, I have to start from lighter weights, build it up patiently, and then I can go for the 400lbs.

new topics

top topics

join