It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't say mom and dad... teachers told not to assume pupils have heterosexual parents

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I am a heterosexual. I feel that my "alternative" life style choice should be respected. I had a mom and dad raise me until the age of 15 when my father decided to murder his mistress and kill himself. After that and for the rest of my school life people in our circles asked me about my mom and dad but I did not cry and insist that my parents be referred to as guardians. I never required special treatment for my circumstances. These things happen to people and rather than insisting that the world accommodate me, I adjusted to the world I live in. I need no special laws that restrict speech about suicide or adultery.

However, I do wish I could march in a heterosexual day parade.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

If I could give you ten stars for that post, I would.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Whilst I suggest we all take a chill pill about everyone's rights and bring it back to basics - treat everyone equally is my view.

Just an end note : Try growing up gay, being bashed everyday of your school life for just existing and then ask yourself whether gay people and straight people ARE actually treated equally. Try it - you'll see life quite differently.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
I am a heterosexual. I feel that my "alternative" life style choice should be respected. I had a mom and dad raise me until the age of 15 when my father decided to murder his mistress and kill himself. After that and for the rest of my school life people in our circles asked me about my mom and dad but I did not cry and insist that my parents be referred to as guardians. I never required special treatment for my circumstances. These things happen to people and rather than insisting that the world accommodate me, I adjusted to the world I live in. I need no special laws that restrict speech about suicide or adultery.

I grew up without a father around too, and had teachers talk about my mum and dad as if I live with both of them, you have people and teachers ask about your mum and dad because they asume you live with both of them. I agree that nothing really should change, the teachers dont know any better, its not their fault, its just the way life is, if someone has gay parents and the teachers say mum and dad, well its just a mistake, its nothing.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This topic was in another ATS thread not too long ago, but I can't find it.
If you Google it, you will find that there are a number of websites carrying the article, but it all seems to originate from World Nut Daily.

In that thread, someone pointed out that banning "Mom and Dad" from schools was totally incorrect. They provided a link that gave the real information. About all the bill does is guarantee gay rights, that teachers not denigrate gays/transexuals, etc. It also states that teachers should help promote positive images of gay, transexual, etc. and that kids who were born with indeterminate sex (gender dysphoria) should be able to use the restroom that they most identify with, i.e. a kid may look like a boy, but identify as female. It doesn't allow for boys and girls to use the same restrooms and it doesn't ban saying Mom and Dad in school. Apparently, this rumor was started by extremely right-wing conservatives who were intent on using propaganda to state their case.

I will continue to look for links and that thread.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
So now teachers and kids will have to deal with never mentioning their conventional parents out of fear of sounding over-assuming that all kids came from a mother and father? Has the world gone mad?

Yes it has. I have a similar situation to compare this to, and that's children of single parents. I am a child of a single parent and all I ever heard in school is "mom and dad" this and "parents" that, and you know what, THAT'S FINE. This oversensitive whiney nonsense has to stop. Children need to understand that one mom and one dad is our societal norm. Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first person in line to ruin the day of one of those goofy family values morons, but that's not what this is about. In fact, I think children should be taught about same sex couples, but in general, "mom (or mum, for all of you fruity accented, bad toofed, weak comedy lovin' people) and dad," used in school, is fine.

And you think this only happening in the UK? Think again:
'Mom' and 'Dad' banished by California

"Mom and Dad" as well as "husband and wife" effectively have been banned from California schools under a bill signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger,

Mod Edit - Snipped Political baiting - please review this thread
The End of Political Baiting and Sniping on ATS

who with his signature also ordered public schools to allow boys to use girls restrooms and locker rooms, and vice versa, if they choose.

hot

"We are shocked and appalled that the governor has blatantly attacked traditional family values in California," said Karen England, executive director of Capitol Resource Institute.

Of course you are, stupid. You people live to be shocked and appalled, and ironically, living in such a state should render you unable to be shocked.
And like I said early, annoying these people really makes my day.

[edit on 31/0108/08 by neformore]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Its about time.

I felt ostracized and ashamed back in the early 50s - because I only had one parent.

Public schools back then always celebrated and made gifts for father's day. There was no consideration for single parent families.

Weighing "acceptance" against "traditional" - - - I'll stand up for "acceptance" every time.

DCP

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

When i went to school part of your PE grade was showering after class. I mean you had to go back to classes you shouldn't stink. Now they don't do that because someones whatever might be bigger/smaller then someone elses and that could hurt their feelings...

DCP

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
maybe we should separate all the ugly and/or fat kids from the good looking kids. i mean we don't want to bring anyone self esteem down. then you will have to separate the big breasted girls from the he small breasted girls. How does that poor flat chested girl self esteem feel next to the DD girl. Don't forget grades...why have them, i mean if someone cannot get a good grade why should they feel bad ...

Every think a little shame is good for you. the little boy feels bad that his dad ran off so when he becomes a father he makes sure that he is in his kids life. a lot of good comes from bad, but ignoring the bad usually doesn't produce anything good.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Holy Mackeral. We're in complete agreement on this PC run amok silliness. Considering that 90+% of the population, and an even higher percentage of parents are heterosexual, it's simply asinine to try to indoctinate the youth that homosexual parents are as normal sociologically speaking as traditional families.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Yeah, and that's another reason why, imo, the Dept. Education needs to be eliminated, just like Ron Paul says. These issues need to be dealt with on a more local level, and much more control of a child's education put into the hands of parents. I want to see a home schooling parent tell their kids not to call them Mom, or Dad. Sickening.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

And this is just one of the problems with public education. The purpose of an education is to teach people how to think, not what to think, and there is way too much social engineering kookery going on. Additionally there's no accountability on schools/teachers for students that can actually perform at the level they're suppose to because of PC. Self Esteem is more important than merit/achievement. Their solution to poor stats, is to dumb down tests, rather than expect students to master the material they're supposed to have learned. That's how you get people through 12 grades that can barely speak the language, or perform simple mathmatical problems. It's a travesty.

DCP

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
hey, BlueRaja,

the 12th grades barely speaking the language is an immigration issue not a self esteem issue, please stay on topic ;-)

ok, i think i am funny, but good post. I went to pay a bill last week with my self esteem and they said no, and that lowered my self esteem. i wish i would have learned math...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

I wasn't referring to immigrants. I'm talking about native born Americans, that can't form coherant sentences, or follow any grammatical rules.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i don't know if someone's brought this up before because i'll admit that i'm just jumping in to make this one comment and haven't bothered to read the thread...

but this was policy at my school growing up because teachers were told not to assume the pupils have LIVING parents....

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja

And this is just one of the problems with public education. The purpose of an education is to teach people how to think, not what to think, and there is way too much social engineering kookery going on. Additionally there's no accountability on schools/teachers for students that can actually perform at the level they're suppose to because of PC. Self Esteem is more important than merit/achievement. Their solution to poor stats, is to dumb down tests, rather than expect students to master the material they're supposed to have learned. That's how you get people through 12 grades that can barely speak the language, or perform simple mathmatical problems. It's a travesty.

I don't see where one point has anything to do with the other.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I think 'they' worry too much about everything! When I was young, we never had anyone trying to figure out why a kid had certain feelings, or maybe different feelings, about anything . It just meant you FEEL a different way about it. No need to send the kid to a counselor or shrink...no need to start snooping around the kids home wondering if the parents are doing something wrong or something BAD happened to the kid and is truamatized over it and must need help to get through it! Just leave everyone alone! Geoge Carlin said it just perfect on this topic, but I can't remember exactly how he put it. ".......just leave the kids alone! Some make it and some won't. That's life!" Anyway, citizen's are allowing state officials, gov't. officials etc... to invade their privacy and pretty soon your gonna wake up and our rights will be all gone. They say they will help you...they just got one foot in your door! They take people's kids away from parents constantly everyday. A lot of times it is uncalled for. I am against 'don't say mom and dad', it's the way it's suppose to be!! God made man and woman. For the people who don't believe in God, just examine the male and female bodies....They were made to perfectly FIT with only each other ! And of course, to breed. Just my opinion, as I am sure I offended somebody. In today's world, you always will, quite easily, and quite often.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhloydPhan

While I find ShiftTrio's comments somewhat tactless, I do agree in principle - and, for the record, I teach.

As ShiftTrio notes:

You cannot make laws like this, but people do need to be more aware of how things effect children.

Tactless:
Lacking or exhibiting a lack of tact; bluntly inconsiderate or indiscreet.

Please read both of my posts and explain where I am being tactless? To me who takes pride on being as diplomatic as possible and has more empathy then most. I take this as an insult.
Perhaps you misread them, so I would like more of an explanation.

Rgds

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
By far most children in the world get raised by their own parents, that would be a man and woman, mom and a dad.
By far.

So it is not strange that most teachers would asume the children in their class have a mom and dad.
That some children are not is an exeption.

Most teachers, that have children in their classes that have not a mom and dad for parent, know the situation at home of the child right.

I find it strange that we need all these special laws these days.
Is this purely for gay marriages?
Like this new public unisex toilets in schools that are there by law.
We lived fine for thousants of years with some gay people around us, never caused much problems, so why now all of a sudden.
Because some gay's get bashed ?
Just an other exeption, it doesnt happen that much, people get bashed all the time not only gays.

Here is some more interesting info in that direction

Powerful forces in government, corporations, media and education are brainwashing us. Daily, they assault our identities as males and females, husband and wives, fathers and mothers. They assail the dynamics by which heterosexuals connect and love. Heterosexuality is based on an exchange of woman's power for man's love. Women want love; men want power. I counsel men. Ninety per cent of marriage breakups are due to women being brainwashed to seek "equality" which in practice means controlling and emasculating their husbands.

Gay and feminist activists pretend society is oppressing them when in fact heterosexual society is the victim. This is passive aggressive. They are clubbing us over the head and then calling us homophobes for reacting. But gays and feminists are just pawns, empowered and manipulated by greater forces. The ultimate purpose is some kind of "New World Order" where emotionally starved people who have no culture or identity can be manipulated by sexual signals.
www.savethemales.ca...

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

Thanks for replying with your story.
It says it all.
Respect

top topics

<< 1   >>

join