It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess the points!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
How many points do you believe this member has?

Threads Started: 4
Total Replies: 23
Applause: 1
Flagged: 0 times

I have always believed there is a glitch in the points system at ATS. So according to the ATS point rules, how many points will this member end up with?

six

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
From the totals that you showed...1500 thereabouts?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by six

Not even close. You are way way off. Multiply that by 8 and you'd still be too low.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Oh yes, that's Clarence Beeks....he's doing some research for us.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Also take into consideration what everyone has been saying in this thread

There are several members across the ATS forum that have very low post/thread counts, yet have been lucky enough to hit on a topic that has generated many points for them.

Not that excess points are really of any particular value, but read through that thread and you might get a bit of a better idea on how it all works.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

You almost had me believing that one.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

That's true. I am not saying you cannot get a lot of points if you make a topic that is popular, but by the way this looks this member has 23 replies over 4 threads started.

Would you believe this member has over 13000 ATS points? How can that be?

six

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Ohhhh your good...Very very good.......LMAO...I spit Dr Pepper through my nose at that one..now I gotta clean up the keyboard

six

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Point stealing....Thats what he is up to.... lol

Seriously, that is a good question. How would one get that high with those totals that you showed?

ETA: I have noticed some members that have jumped from 1000 points to 15000 points in a very short amount of time.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by six]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Have you checked the threads this person actually wrote/replied to?

He may very possibly have won them.

Some threads offer a nice bi bonus of 15,000 or more..
Competitions run occasionaly.

One on now for valentines avatar i believe.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Have you checked the threads this person actually wrote/replied to?

He may very possibly have won them.

Some threads offer a nice bi bonus of 15,000 or more..
Competitions run occasionaly.

One on now for valentines avatar i believe.

Well, it does not even list the threads started even though it says 4. AS for posts, there are 950. I went through page 1 and saw nothing spectacular in the way of a competition or news article or anything.

It is strange and I am not trying to single this person out either. It is an ATS problem, not a members problem. I have noticed it quite a few times, but wished there were a way to catalogue these instances to see what causes it.

If it is some cumulative type error, someone could easily rake up massive amounts of points unduly. I think the points system is a great way to quickly measure the quality and quantity of a members posts, but if it is corrupted/corruptible then it is a meaningless tool.

EDIT: the only other thing I can think of that would give you all these extra points for normal posting is if you get points for replies within any thread (not necessarily one you created) and the tally does not show below your avatar. Is this the case?

[edit on 30-1-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
check this thread too.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

it's got quite a few extra details about the points, who gives them etc etc.

Only a few pages but it should help

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I've have questions about points in the past as well.

John Lear was obviously given some sort of point bonus. Theres not way he has posted on BTS that much to have all those points. I don't think I've seem him post in BTS once and i've been frequenting this board since early 07...

i've seen other members with few posts and thread starts have huge amounts of points as well.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roland Deschain
i've seen other members with few posts and thread starts have huge amounts of points as well.

Maybe they are related to the Amigos and points were a cheap Christmas present!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Back in the day (before I was a member - I read this somewhere) They (the Amigos) were giving away lots of points for tagging threads, when it had just been introduced.

Also when ATS split in to ATS, BTS and AP members points were split equally between the three.

This could answer some of your questions.

HisToryMonKey

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Awww man!

It's taken me 6 mos., 48 started threads, 1700 posts/replies, and 2 applauses to reach just over 15000 points. And I was proud of that until hearing about how quickly people have been able to get 15000.

Dangit!!!

Maybe I'll do some work in Tinwiki for some extra points. Shoot, I really WAS kind of proud about that.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
If anyone really needs some extra points; help yourself to mine. I think the only time mine get used is when I get penalized for a short, snotty reply.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Uh, anyway you could throw me about 5K?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
ITs alot harder to get points now then it used to be.. look at some 4 page threads from 4 years ago and you'll see that almost all the people posting have 20k+ points. Also, the mods give out tons of points for any reason they want to. Sometimes you'll see someone with 1000 points one day and a day later they have 30,000.

The member who posted the worm-like UFO got like 200,000 points or something for that.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

YEa, evey once in a while something like that happens....

A mod drops 100k on somebody for posting something AMAZING...

imagine how i feel, i have been here for years and people have more points then me in just a few weeks or days....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join