It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan lawmakers back reporter's death sentence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Afghan lawmakers back reporter's death sentence

www.cnn.com

The journalist, 23-year-old Sayed Parwez Kaambakhsh, was sentenced to death last week by a three-judge panel in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif for distributing a report he printed off the Internet to journalism students at Balkh University.

The article asked why men can have four wives but women can't have multiple husbands.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-1-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
For me personally, it was always hard to believe that one can go and "install", "organize" or "prop" a democratical regime in Central Asia and most of the Middle East. Afghanistan is just one of the most remote, poor, backward, tribal nations in the world. It is disheartening that the media indulges in the analysis of how democracy progresses in Afghanistan (or Iraq, for that matter) whereas the reality on the ground is, and will be in foreseeable future, equal to dark ages.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

If only there were more benevolent dictatorships this wouldn't happen. I've always viewed the fanatical "protection" of Islam more of an indication of it's frailty than anything else. A secure faith would be able to shrug off a little criticism here and there... Christianity went through the same phase in it's infancy... Sure there still some fundamental adherents that would like to break out the thumbscrews but you just don't hear too many cries of blasphemy anymore.

Perhaps time will cure this ill.

new topics

join