It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the cost of everything is going up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
so i saw this in the news today

HARRISBURG, Pa. (Jan. 28) - Hershey, the nation's largest candymaker, said it is raising the wholesale price of its chocolate bars for the second time in a year as energy and commodity costs spiral higher.

money.aol.com...

and add that to this..

Beer prices may soon rise for consumers because of the increasing costs of barley and other raw materials, analysts say.
Production numbers are down and costs are up for the grain, one of several used to make beer. Combined with soaring energy costs and the high cost of other raw materials, like aluminum, analysts caution those extra dollars and cents may soon be passed along to consumers.

www.marketwatch.com...

Seattle-based Starbucks Corp. said Monday that it would start increasing prices on lattes, Frappuccinos and other coffee beverages across the country
The roughly 3 percent price bump is the second increase in nearly 10 months

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

Near record-level costs for corn and soybean meal is taking its toll, and Tyson said it plans to raise costs for its chicken and beef products
"We have no other choice but to raise prices substantially," CEO Richard Bond said in a conference call. "We are raising prices because we can't absorb these costs. Despite concerns about the economy, people have to eat, and they will continue to eat protein."

money.cnn.com...

As part of AARP’s "Rx Watchdog" effort, a report released by the organization today found that for the sixth year in a row, manufacturers of brand-name prescription drugs most widely used by older Americans raised the price they charge wholesalers and other direct purchasers higher than the general inflation rate

www.aarp.org...

General Mills Inc. said on Tuesday it would raise cereal prices to match increases by competitors
General Mills spokesman Tom Forsythe said customers should actually see lower prices per box, but the boxes will be smaller, so the effect is a price increase of a few percent. The new prices go into effect on June 25.

www.azcentral.com...

Due to a rise in steel and commodity costs, General Motors plans on raising prices of their 2008 vehicles by up to $1,500, accoring to the Reuters news agency. Price increases will be seen on all cars purchased by dealers beginning today.

www.worldcarfans.com...

plus, we have this. How are we supposed to keep up?

The median hourly wage for American workers has declined 2 percent since 2003, after factoring in inflation. The drop has been especially notable, economists say, because productivity — the amount that an average worker produces in an hour and the basic wellspring of a nation’s living standards — has risen steadily over the same period.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think the economy has been out of balance for a while, and the rising fuel prices (thank you Mr.Bush for you wonderful Iraq war) destroyed the little precious balance that was left. Let us see, productivity grows but raw materials and oterh costs are rising even higher? What's wrong with this picture? Maybe the fact that a lot of stuff is imported, so there is less chance for the national commodity markets to self-regulate.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
How much of the increased prices can be attributed to supply and demand, and how much can be attributed to big money outfits on Wall Street controlling the prices for their own profit? I believe that it can be more attribute do Wall Street than lack of supply.

Another factor many don't consider is rising interest rates. As rates rise so does the time premium on commodity contracts which raises the price. We just went through a period of 13 or so straight interest rate hikes, so ofcourse prices went up. When rates fall those premiums begin to fall and prices will also tend to fall.

Low interest rates = lower prices. High interest rates = high prices. All the talking heads say otherwise, but my studies have caused me to determine that this is indeed the case.

I think with the recent and coming Fed cuts, commodities have seen their best days already.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So does anyone know of a list of products that won't go up in price?? Hopefully ramen noodle soup and bologna won't increase too much so I can continue to eat and put gas in my car.

top topics

join