It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Paid for Good Grades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

So I read this articale on USA today and I find it as a very interesting approach in education.

In suburban Atlanta, a pair of schools last week kicked off a program that will pay 8th- and 11th-grade students $8 an hour for a 15-week "Learn & Earn" after-school study program (the federal minimum wage is currently $5.85).

So, the students get $8 an hour for TAKING lessons, as the quote states above, that's higher than the minimum wage. I am not sure where the system is going with this because this will cause a influx of students applying for those tutoring programs and most of them will probably go for the money instead of the education. They also said that the system will give $100 for passing an AP test. Come on I'm already planning on taking about 13 AP Exams in my high school (Not including the other 13 IB Exams), and what will I get? Nothing. Personally I don't think that the money matters that much, and I think that this program will only corrupt the kids. Sure they will get more tutoring and take more AP classes, the question is, can they do well? Or do they just streamline the minimum requirements.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Wow, the new topic feed was down :S.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
You know, it is difficult to comment without reviewing the specifics of these programs...

But, hell, who knows? This may be the most meaningful thing we have done with our education dollars in a long time.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by loam]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Bigger mistake than paying for news. Payola education? Co-opt them early so they have no moral centerdness. Here lets pay you to be part of the machine... tell your friends! How utterly "United States of America 21st Century".

Sounds a bit like a make work program for PR purposes. Look! We're helpin' urban Atlantan at risk youth... while someone left behind years ago is makin' $5.85 and worried about illegals sleazin' them for their position while attending university on left-behind's taxes. Freedom.

That's an education all right. Good on you.

Vic

[edit on 30-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

top topics

join