It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mets Might Actually Get Johan Santana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
newyork.mets.mlb.com...

A person with firsthand knowledge of the club's dealings with the Twins acknowledged Tuesday that the Mets have received a "best offer" request of the American League club, an indication perhaps that the Santana trade scenario has moved into its final stage.

No matter the horizon, the Mets remain intent on dealing for the soon-to-turn 29 left-handed pitcher who has produced an 82-33 record in the last five seasons.

Well I'll be waiting and hoping. The mets have a great team, but not great pitching. They need an ace. Having Santana would definatly be nice for the rotation, I'm praying to the baseball gods that the Mets can seal the deal on this one.

edit: spelling

[edit on 1/29/08 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
its not that they might get him...
they just got him!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
newyork.mets.mlb.com...

According to the report, the four prospects that that Twins would be receiving in the deal are outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

One notable name that was not included in the deal was the Mets' top prospect, outfielder Fernando Martinez. Earlier reports had been that the Twins were asking for Martinez in order to complete the deal.

Well not 100 percent final yet, but you can pretty much call it a sealed deal. This is huge for the Mets. W00T!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
though i am not a mets fan, it makes me happy that those damned yankees didnt get him.
southside rules, chisox back in 08, baby!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This is a HUGE lift for this pitching staff. If Pedro is healthy the Mets are going to be competitive. They just need to strenghthen that bullpen and they are in. Heck they almost made it last year with Glavine only.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

True, but I don't think Pedro is the guy to rely on. John Maine and Oliver Perez have to step up. I think they should go with Pelfrey for their number 5 starter, and use Hernandez in relief, but it's possible they may start Hernandez again this year. Don't forget Duaner Sanchez will be back, he's a big part of that bullpen.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Its unbelievable! I have no idea what the Twins are thinking. Between the Mets, Red Sox, and Yanks, the Twins easily took the worst offer. They gave up the best pitcher in the game for almost nothing. They didn't even get Fernando Martinez from the Mets. Crazy.

The 'key' piece was Carlos Gomez. Best case scenario this guy turns up to be Juan Pierre. At least in the Yankee deal they were getting major league ready players. Melky Cabrera is already a better player than Carlos Gomez will ever be, and Phil Hughes will be a solid pitcher in the future.

The Red Sox who had probably the best deal out there with Lester, Coco, Materson, and Lowrie. With at least 2 of these guys helping out with the team this year.

I thought the Adam Jones and company for Eric Bedard trade this week was the worst ever. The Twins just beat the O's.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
Its unbelievable! I have no idea what the Twins are thinking. Between the Mets, Red Sox, and Yanks, the Twins easily took the worst offer.

Agreed, but those other deals were off the table a long time ago. This is the only deal left and I think they have to make it. I just heard on espn that Santana wanted to be on the Mets anyway, so he has the opportunity to hit.

Well we will know if this is final by 5pm est today.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

The Twins held out and the Yankees took Hughes off the table. Then the Red Sox and Yankees realized they didn't need him enough to sell off their respective futures and the end result is that the only team willing to trade and capable, money wise, of paying him, was the Mets. Thus the Mets got the deal done without Martinez or Pelfrey (whom they still hold in higher regard than Humber).

Less than an hour left and no word on a signing. They were, at last count, something like $20 million apart. What's crazy is that Santana will, potentially, make more in endorsements now than he will for pitching - provided they close the deal.

As a Mets fan, I'm beyond excited. When pitchers switch leagues they usually see an E.R.A. drop of about 1.00. Add to that the pitcher friendly park, the better than average defense and the good offense and he might well be the front runner for a Cy Young award next year.

Or he could be like many of the big acquisitions made by the Mets and suck the joint up big time.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Weeks ago when it was only the Yanks and Sox both teams didn't want the other team to get Johan. Those offers were really good. When the Yanks set their deadline, and it passed. The Red Sox didn't really need the full court press anymore, and rearrainged the deal.

The Twins and their rookie GM dropped the ball on getting the best players. They didn't take the best deal when it was on the table, and they tried to wait and it backfired.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's now official, just saw it on Mets.com. Pending a physical, Johan Santana is now the newest member of the New York Mets. Now hopefully they can put last year's embarassing season behind them. We finally got an ace up our sleeve!

The Johan dance!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
It's now official, just saw it on Mets.com. Pending a physical, Johan Santana is now the newest member of the New York Mets. Now hopefully they can put last year's embarassing season behind them. We finally got an ace up our sleeve!

The Johan dance!

Thank God, i was really getting worried.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
The Mets never have the Balls to make the move Midseason to get the Man they need... and always overcompesnate in the offseason...

That being said they are the best team in the NL... hands down... not even my dodgers can match them....

new topics

top topics

join