It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somalia is the worst Humanitarian crisis: UN official

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Somalia is the worst Humanitarian crisis: UN official

www.reuters.com

LONDON (Reuters) - High levels of malnutrition and the difficulties of delivering aid make Somalia the world's most pressing humanitarian crisis, the U.N. refugee agency's representative there said on Tuesday.

More than 1 million people have fled their homes in Somalia, which is convulsed by fighting between Ethiopian-backed government forces, Islamist insurgents and an assortment of warlords.

"I've never seen anything like Somalia before," Guillermo Bettocchi, representative of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, said during a visit to London.

"The situation is very severe. It is the most pressing humanitarian emergency in the world today -- even worse than Darfur," he told reporters, referring to the war in western Sudan, which has driven 2.5 million from their homes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Man, I feel sorry for those people. They have been suffering for so long. It seems like forever that they have been starving and living in horrendous conditions. I wonder if they'll ever see better times.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

The whole continent of Africa is in turmoil.

They are warring over land and resources. Too many people live there and the resources are not being used efficiently...Not to mention the rich take pretty much everything and let the rest of the people squabble over a meager existence.

We buy diamonds, oil, and other goods from Africa yet the 'proletariat' who does most of the work makes nothing. This is the same as our wage slaves here and child labor/forced labor in South America and Asia.

Humanitarian rights do not exist in this country, what makes you think a pretty much lawless place like Africa would have human rights?

I posted an article about the Darfur genocide yesterday and not ONE person responded.

Here is the link to it as its relevant to the crisis in Somalia.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Zimbabwe is in trouble, so is South Africa, Cote D'Ivoire, Senegal, Gambia, Kenya, and the list goes on...

And we sit back, watch out Jerry Springer, drink our Budweiser, and continue to feed the beast.

Who honestly cares?

I myself am starting to become numb to human tragedy, but I will never stop fighting the 'powers that be.'

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Sounds just about the same as when I was sent to that hellhole in '94. Strike that... it sounds like they really improved the place.
Africa has been killing itself for longer than any of us have been alive for certain.
Worrying about other countries problems should take a far back burner to our own domestic turmoil, don't you think? Besides, the warlords will only hijack any "aid" the UN sends and sell it for profit, just like the last time we tried to help. It's a Catch-22.
Maybe we should just send a few B-2's overhead and drop some fissionable "aid packages", if you get my meaning. Put them all out of their misery, so to speak.
I'll tell you this: Nobody's going to tell ME to go back to Mogi and take another round in the shoulder for no gain. What a waste of my youth.

[edit on 29/1/08 by cbianchi513]

new topics

join