It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbing Down Rebellion with Prescription Drugs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
People don't need prescription drugs to dumb down their rebellion. They're more than happy to dull themselves with non-prescription drugs like alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, and so on. Rebellion creates stress, particularly when there's no specific target or opponent to fight against. People generally don't like stress, and there are plenty of legal and semi-legal ways to reduce it.

There are a lot of people who are "rebels without a clue," and they're not going to be Martin Luther King, Jr. They're just going to have a hard time with authority that they have no reasonable alternative to.

Sometimes you have to let the sleepers sleep. We can't have a revolution every other week.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
First of all, I speak as a "Jeffersonian Anarchist."
("That government that governs least, governs best." Thomas Jefferson)

1.)Psyciatrists are not (and never were) the brightest doctors. They were the dregs of the medical schools assigned to the asylums to keep the patients quiet and out of sight (so as not to embaress the patient's respectable and powerful relatives) and sign the death certificate at the apropriate time.

2.)Psyciatriac diagnosis is not objective, it is subjective. (Imagine taking the same rock to three assayers and being told by one it was pure platinum, by another it was gold, and uranium by the third. That is the state of psyciatry.) It is diagnosis by the tone of the patient's voice, not by what the patient is saying.

3.)Chemical psyciatry is based on the theory that all mental problems are chemicalin nature, and to be treated with chemicals. (Its unspoken coralary is that the problems arise from bad genes that should be removed from the gene pool. Hence the frequent use of castration in 19th and early 20th century psyciatric institutions and the fact that most psycotropic drugs cause impotence and decreased sex drive. (Thank you, L. Ron Hubbard, for pointing that out. Even a blind pig occasionaly finds an acorn- or an apple.)

4.)Psyciatrists have invested so much in their theories of disease and treatment that they can not admit that they are wrong, going to great lengths and resorting magical thinking to avoid facing the facts of their errors. (Question: How does an electric current know which are the "weak cells" that it is supposed to destroy in electroshock therapy? Why do they ignore the 3% 30 day death rate in electroshock therapy? Why do they not admit that electroshock is the equivalent of a severe concussion?)

5.)Psyciatry that treats a minor without taking a good, long, hard look at his or her parents (because the adults are paying the bill) is prostituting itsself. If you want to read some real horror stories about this prostitution, Google "Teen Gulag". (From the Utah location of many of these teen "boot camps" and the activities (pushing hand carts through the desert [Think of the Mormon Pushcart Migration] I suspect that the Mormon church is involved at some level.)

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The disastrous increase in psychiatric prescription drugs is not just about fending off a rebellion. It has just as much to do with money, and big pharma's bottom line. If you think about it, it's a match made in hell: the government starts wars, traumatizes its own public with a fear campaign, and then pharma steps in to reap the profits from increased med prescriptions.

By the way, a vote for Romney is a vote for big pharma.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
psychotropic drugs like ritalin is for treatment of attention deficit or hyperactivity. it is used by parents as a form of control of the natural tendencies of kids (boys) to be unruly and rowdy. but how can you measure attention or hyperactivity? every mom n dad that goes to a shrink will surely get a "magic pill" for their kids, yeah i agree it's a subjective diagnosis. and now the trend is these psychotropic drugs are being marketed directly and aggressively to consumers. scarey.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by beastamerica]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by John, Sartell, MN, USA
1.)Psyciatrists are not (and never were) the brightest doctors. They were the dregs of the medical schools assigned to the asylums to keep the patients quiet and out of sight (so as not to embaress the patient's respectable and powerful relatives) and sign the death certificate at the apropriate time.

Psychiatry is to medicine as education faculties are to colleges. I see the parallel. As I said before, teachers come from the dregs of university and college, and are often full of envy for their intellectual superiors.

5.)Psyciatry that treats a minor without taking a good, long, hard look at his or her parents (because the adults are paying the bill) is prostituting itsself.

Again, it is like that 19th and early 20th century asylum - an oubliette for young people who embarass their families. When it's the clean-cut middle class or higher parents who pay the bill, bad parenting and abuse are never the problem. When governments take children away from non-conformist parents, then they bring up "abuse" to criminalize the parents.

If you want to read some real horror stories about this prostitution, Google "Teen Gulag". (From the Utah location of many of these teen "boot camps" and the activities (pushing hand carts through the desert [Think of the Mormon Pushcart Migration]

I'm not sure I want to read about this. Government schools were enough of a gulag for me, and millions of other smart kids!

I suspect that the Mormon church is involved at some level.)

You may be right. It's like those hypocritical Christian anti-cult "deprogrammers" of the 1970s.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yea, those pills don't help you. I find it scary that they have prescriptions pills for conditions, or diseases that don't have cures (so they say) like egsima. What's really in those pills?
Reminds me of a nice song by one of my favorite artists.

Anti-depressants
Controlling tools of your system
Making life more tolerable

-Serj Tankian
"The Unthinking Majority"

[edit on 30-1-2008 by leira7]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yea, their dumbing me down with hydrocodone
but ya know, after about 10 days I really didnt care

Seriously though, a doctor RX'd ritalyn to my son when he was a fairly hyper 5 year old boy.
My now X wife had it filled and wanted to give them to him but I through a fit and dumped them down the toilet.
My son is now a normal, intelligent and straight A 14 year old student thats well behaved.
I just wish more parents would actually be a parent instead of trying to use meds to babysit their children.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
Seriously though, a doctor RX'd ritalyn to my son when he was a fairly hyper 5 year old boy. My now X wife had it filled and wanted to give them to him but I through a fit and dumped them down the toilet.

And this is how prescription drugs get into our water supply. Another reason not to drink, use or shower with tap water.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

So sue me

Actually the reports claim that meds get into lakes and streams through excretion by humans and animals.

See here

Over the past decade, European chemists have been documenting widespread pharmaceutical contamination of their lakes, streams, and groundwater. In San Francisco this week, U.S. and Canadian scientists offered preliminary confirmation that traces of drugs, excreted by people and livestock, similarly pollute American waters.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I remember when i was young i was diagnosed with ADD. I can remember how the school had forced my parents to get them to take me to see a shrink so i can continue going to regular classes. After about 3-4 sessions instead of being given any advice or recommendations to improve the situation, drugs were prescribed instead. Lucky for me my parents refused.

I can remember the kids at school though, the unlucky ones who were forced to take medication. They changed almost overnight and became different people altogether. Some even stopped doing things they enjoyed and tried excessivly hard to become more "adult".

Now almost every kid in my neighborhood or about every second kid at my kids school is or has been on some sort of behavior altering drug. Doctors are prescribing Ritalin like candy these days. I even know some parents whos kids dont even give them trouble and they somehow got them a prescription anyways as to make them less of a handfull.

I asked one of my friends once why he got it for his son and he said it was because his kid was "too bad" and that he was always runnning around and acting up. That kid seemed pretty normal to me and i don't know about any of you but all of you who have kids know that kids don't just sit around silently for long periods of time, well that is unless they are being brainwashed by tv or videogames. Take a kid off the TV and games however, and watch them go.

If a doctor tries to prescribe any behavior altering medications to you child, don't let them. Just say no and if you have to, get a second opinion.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Actually the reports claim that meds get into lakes and streams through excretion by humans and animals.

As do the chemicals that are used to bond plastics, mainly the ones used to wrap meats. In fact studies show that up to 25% of the chemical composition of raw sewage in treatment plants contain manmade chemicals that could have only come from human excrement.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

And this is how prescription drugs get into our water supply. Another reason not to drink, use or shower with tap water.

No, raw sewage is not directly dumped back into drinking water sources. It eventually does find it's way back to a source but not without going through a few environmental processes and then being treated during the water treatment process. Sure the drinking water pipes may be old but they aren't directly connected to the toilet.

I can post a few links at your request that shows methods of waste disposal if you don't believe me.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Some of your posts about your children, or your childhoods do illustrate very well the point of this thread. Thanks to all of you. It's not just your opinion you're expressing here-- you may pass on information to someone who really needs it.

The point of the article and thread is that prescription drugs are being used on children and teenagers, not just for their alleged original purpose, but as short-cuts and cop outs as well. And by doing this, it's very likely that bright lights will be put out before they have a chance to change our world for the better.

This thread is not about the proper use of prescription drugs for those that genuinely need them.

I hope I never meet a teenager who isn't rebelling against the status quo, or a child who doesn't have the energy of a hummingbird.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

I hope I never meet a teenager who isn't rebelling against the status quo, or a child who doesn't have the energy of a hummingbird.

I have and it is becoming more common every passing year. Alot of youth now i find are going with the flow and will accept anything that comes their way.

it's very likely that bright lights will be put out before they have a chance to change our world for the better.

IMO alot of people who are described as having ADD or ADHD i have observed them to be highly intelligent individuals that either

A. need an alternatives to normal teaching methods as not all of us leanrs the same way. For example i was diagnosed with ADD as a child. I find that personally i learn better using a hands on technique rather than being bombarded with theory.

B. These people havent found a proper outlet to stimulate their individual needs and desperately require one. An example of this is a hobby or a sport. Some people don't discover their talents or callings untill after they are adults and i believe that one cannot truly focus on something and divert all their energy to it untill they figure out what that certain something is. Since not everyone has the same exposure to eveything growing up it is understandable that some people may be restless if their energy isn't focused untill they have found what it is they are seeking.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Comma8Comma1

My story is very similar to yours
But i wuld never put my son on adderrall as a small child, Its potent stuff no matter how well it works for me.
Adderall though has been around for a long long time, is fast acting and has a very short half-life

the newer antidepressants are scary stuff.
My husband lost both parents within a month and half of eachother a couple of years ago. He kept his job, was functioning, really he was doing better than i know i would have been, better than anyone should be expected to be doing.
He was having a hard time sleepig....but he was GRIEVING!
so our General practioner described a mild sedative and anti-anxiety drug for him, i cant remember for the life of me what it was called...

Then he had one single panic attack

so they put him on prozac, a pretty high dose

he was also taking darvoset for a back injury, well he was taking a maintence dose everynight at bedtime...because when doctors prescibe you pain meds indefinately your body starts to need them.

well he got pissy, and weird, and was having dissociative episodes, and migraines, and his sex drive totally disappeared, and he would sleep anytime he wasnt at work, I had to shove food at him to get him to eat enough.
It was awful and this all happened gradually within 6 months of taking the prozac, about the time it takes for it to fully established in your system.
Never once did the doctor recommend grief counseling or a support group, or ackowledge that grief is a normal part of life. Remember he was employed doing ok and had one single panic attack.

Well it culminated in a full blown seizure at work one day, a Tonic Clonic seizure that lasted for over a minute and half followed by total black out and total confusion for about an hour afterwards. It took days to get over it and he had a massive bump on his head.

Thank god we took him to a competant neuro afterwards.

Turns out those dissassociative episodes were seizures, the weirdness were more than likely auras. All that depression and the accompanying symptoms dissapeared nearly right away when the prozac was stopped, just like they appeared almost as soon as it started.

He dropped everything cold turkey after the second but milder seizure again at work about a week after the first. I was expecting a nightmare but all it took was ambien for about a week to help him sleep and that was it. within days he started normalizing and honestly was back to himself within two weeks at the most.

In the process he was wrongfully fired..we should have sued
He could have had permanent brain damage or nevous system damage.
the GP dropped him because we made a stink over the whole thing, which is for the best!

God forbid I wouldnt have been pushy about blaming the prozac and making sure the Neuro understood he wasnt clinically depressed in the first place, he was grieving. He was so wonky by that point that he would have just nodded along with whatever, and likely it would have been chalked up to more serious depression and his dose increased or more meds added

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

I agree about not prescribing these types of things to kids who's bodies (hearts especially) aren't fully developed. They can be harmful especially to someone who has an existing condition.

Before treatment, I went through a full battery of tests on my ticker just to make sure an everyday heart murmur wasn't something that could be affected adversely by an amphetamine salt medication.

I gotta say though that I hear a lot of complaining about pills being the problem and that doctors (especially shrinks) being stupid, school teachers being the chaff from the university wheat and so forth. I think some people really need to take some responsibility in their lives.

I know people who have tried medication drugs for various mental problems over the years and now they swear up and down about the pure evil these things are and how bad they were for them. They conveniently fail to mention though that they never changed their behaviors at all;

If you are taking paxil (as an example) for depression,anxiety,etc. and still eat food filled with corn syrup and high fat, drink like a fish, don't sleep well and have poor exercise habits, then the problem is YOU not the drug.

Cut out the processed food, walk everyday, stop smoking, get a good nights rest and I think most people will find that they don't need these pills.
I did all of those things and after much thought and research found that I still needed something.

It's as if you were to tell your mechanic that your car isn't running right; you tell him it's sputtering and he suggests a fuel additive to clean out the injectors, what you fail to mention is that you're putting in 86 octane gas and haven't changed the oil in 10k miles.

Is it then his fault when the additive doesn't work?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Comma8Comma1

I see what you are getting at but there is another factor at play here. For one doctors arent spending the kind of time with their patients that they used to. The result is not having enough time to properly diagnose a patient and doctors are relying on alot of hit and miss nowadays due to time constraints. One main cause of this is that the more patients that pass through the office a day, the more money the doctor makes. While i understand why a doctor makes alot of money, if the only reason you became a doctor is stricktly for the money then you are probably not a good doctor. Doctors make money by pushing pills.
For example in Canada a doctor gets paid by the healthcare system for each patient he sees. The more patients the merrier. Also the doctor makes premiums for the amount of perscriptions he fills out. This should be a crime. So the more pills a doctor pushes, the more time he saves and the more money he makes.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Comma8Comma1
reply to post by gluetrap

I gotta say though that I hear a lot of complaining about pills being the problem and that doctors (especially shrinks) being stupid, school teachers being the chaff from the university wheat and so forth. I think some people really need to take some responsibility in their lives.

Maybe I should have taken more responsibility for my life when I was ten years old. I should have taken my father's shotgun, shot all those goddam book-burning nerd-hating Khmer Rouge teachers, ran away from home, fled to Mexico, and spent the rest of my life educating myself by reading forbidden books in libraries.

Somehow I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
That is why it needs to be partially in the hands of the patient or their gaurdian to be well informed of the issues, the medications suggested and to ask any question they might have.

Its your body, or your childs body, and possible mental and emotional well being right along with it

Talk therapy and behavior modification coaching has been proven to be more effective than many of these psychotropic drugs that are used for hard to define differences in personality.

there are also degrees of behaviors and characteristics at play here, at first glance almost every teenager seems to be ODD and borderline personality disorder
but the caveat is that it has to be affecting their ability to function, its being rebellious and questioning authority vs being kicked out of school after school, fighting, aggressive or violent outbursts, or long term periods of emotional instability that dont balance themselves out or get progressively worse.

well that is what it is supposed to be, but those are nuances and its easier for parents teachers and doctors to shut the kid up rather than find out if it is an actual problem.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by kattraxx

i believe that one cannot truly focus on something and divert all their energy to it untill they figure out what that certain something is. Since not everyone has the same exposure to eveything growing up it is understandable that some people may be restless if their energy isn't focused untill they have found what it is they are seeking.

That's a very good observation. I believe a lot of these children who can't sit still in school, or can't pay attention, are highly intelligent and simply bored. Like most everything else, the bar is set at mediocrity, and conformity is rewarded in schools. Anyone outside those "norms", including the gifted or the slow-learners for the matter, is considered odd, by and large. The "target audience" is the average.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join