It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbing Down Rebellion with Prescription Drugs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Imagine for a moment, how different things might be if Martin Luther King's parents, for example, had said to young Martin, "Discrimination, bigotry, Martin, it's just the way things are. You can't change the world. You need to calm down and stop being so rebellious. Here, take this nice pill. You'll feel better."

Big pharma has some new customers. Not complying with authority is now, in many cases, labeled a disease. For a generation now, disruptive young Americans who rebel against authority figures have been increasingly diagnosed with mental illnesses and medicated with psychiatric (psychotropic) drugs.

Disruptive young people who are medicated with Ritalin, Adderall and other amphetamines routinely report that these drugs make them "care less" about their boredom, resentments and other negative emotions, thus making them more compliant and manageable. And so-called atypical antipsychotics such as Risperdal and Zyprexa -- powerful tranquilizing drugs -- are increasingly prescribed to disruptive young Americans, even though in most cases they are not displaying any psychotic symptoms.

www.alternet.org...

The new diagnosis: ODD: Oppositional Defiant Disorder defined in 1980 by the American Psychiatric Association as: "a pattern of negativistic, hostile and defiant behavior." The official symptoms of ODD include "often actively defies or refuses to comply with adult requests or rules" and "often argues with adults."

In other words, a normal teenager--- moody, defiant, rebellious, questioning authority.

Two ways of subduing defiance are to criminalize it and to pathologize it, and U.S. history is replete with examples of both. In the same era that John Adams' Sedition Act criminalized criticism of U.S. governmental policy, Dr. Benjamin Rush, the father of American psychiatry (his image adorns the APA seal), pathologized anti-authoritarianism. Rush diagnosed those rebelling against a centralized federal authority as having an "excess of the passion for liberty" that "constituted a form of insanity." He labeled this illness "anarchia."

So, in essence, natural teenage rebellion has been re-defined by the AMA and big pharma as a disease, ODD, for which drugs are necessary.

It would certainly be a dream of Big Pharma and those who favor an authoritarian society if every would-be Tom Paine -- or Crazy Horse, Tecumseh, Emma Goldman or Malcolm X -- were diagnosed as a youngster with mental illness and quieted with a lifelong regimen of chill pills.

The question is: Has this dream become reality?

[edit on 1/29/08 by kattraxx]

[Mod Edit]
Rewording of title

[edit on 29-1-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

I am so thankful to my parents for allowing me to naturally go through my rebellious phase, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for them at all. Had I been drugged out of it, I suspect I would not be as positive a contributor to society as I believe I am today.

Thanks OP! This is somewhat sickening, and anyone who would drug their children to make them comply with authority is the source of a problem IMO.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Unfortunately, many parents will believe whatever their doctor tells them, and so many doctors today are influenced by the pharmaceutical industry.

The effects were revealed in a survey in which more than 90% of medical residents acknowledged that drug company marketing influenced their decisions about medications.
www.medicationsense.com...

So if the family doctors tell the parents their teenager is suffering from ODD, but don't worry, there's a drug for that-- how many parents will jump on it, if for no other reason than to "keep the peace" in the house?

The fact is, the pharmaceutical industry influences the entire health care system. For example, most continuing medical education courses that doctors take to maintain their licensing are underwritten by the drug industry. In 2002, the Wall Street Journal published an article titled "When doctors go to class, industry often foots the bill: Lectures tend to feature pills made by course sponsors." The article stated:

Doctors are learning a lot more about medical conditions that can be treated with expensive brand-name drugs and less [about] subjects from which manufacturers can't profit. ... Many physicians view industry sponsored courses -- even those that follow the rules -- as verging on infomercials.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
ODD, when I practiced psychotherapy, (from 1984 to 1999) was not used in this way. Originally, it was a diagnosis for someone who was the type of person that no matter what someone said, the ODD would oppose it immediately, as a knee-jerk reaction. We sometimes call this person a "know-it-all". These are folks who when you remark that the sky is blue, automatically disagree with you and try to argue about the fact that it is red, yellow, etc. I've met some of these folks and I do believe that the diagnosis of ODD fits them; however, most of these types I've known are adults.
I can't remember what the term is for the adults, it may well be ODD; but it is not restricted to teens. Also, they've revised the Diagnostic Manual since I practiced and I don't have a copy of that, so I can't give you more specifics than that.
What appears to be happening right now, is that the authorities want to clamp down on any dissension or questioning from our young people. This is one way to do so. I don't know who started this or who keeps it going, but it does seem that at least some schools think this is a good idea.
Psychiatry is not being used to help people any more, so much as destroy them and force them into a mold. The author of this article was right, I think, when he said that too many M.D.'s, psychiatrists, psychotherapists, etc. have to conform to the "norm" and to authorities, that they forget how to think outside the box. I never liked working with these self-righteous types, who think that their clients should be "normal" (meaning just like them.) Client-centered therapy is when the therapist utilizes questions and/or observations to help a client figure out what THEY believe and how they want to approach their life. To me, it's the only way to go; it honors the client's individuality and helps them learn to make good choices, rather than making them conform to a society which is often unhealthy.
I'm pretty fearful of the direction our children are being taken in, what kind of world will they create when they are adults? We really need to honor our children better than this.

Good article, thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

Yes, and don't you find it odd that it's ODD? Is the implication that anyone who rebels or questions authority is odd? On any level. Even considering the original diagnosis of ODD as someone who automatically disagrees with everything anyone says-- where did they draw that line back then? Just how disagreeable did one have to be to get an ODD diagnosis?

And where is that line drawn now? That's the question. Apparently, that line has been moved to encompass natural teenage rebellion.

Without a doubt, had these drugs been available to my parents and the parents of my edgy fringe friends, etc., in high school, they would've trusted the doctor's advice and been first in line for a bottle.

The bigger point is, how convenient for any authoritarian society to be able to prescribe conformity and submission to authority in a pill for teenagers in order to nip that defiance in the bud.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is a very interesting subject that as far as I'm concerned should be blasted across the front page of "ATS." It actually goes much deeper to encompass so many other topics that are here on this site.
My granddaughter was on Ritalin for a short time some years back and it was the most horrifying thing to have to watch until her mother couldn't stand the sight of her practically drooling on herself anymore. She was just so hyper that her teachers didn't want to deal with it.
She's now 15 going on 20, makes A's & B's and is a Cheerleader. She plays soccer and more than likely will end up with a scholarship. Her whole life almost ruined because some slug of a teacher didn't like her.
Personally I would like to know who makes the decision as to what is the psychological norm for everyone. I mean who's to say these so called brilliant minds aren't getting this from 10 hits of acid he did the night before and woke up saying "Wholly Crap That's It, I Gotta right this down! Sorry but this topic really sets me on fire!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I personally fit the ADHD personality perfectly. It was a new revolution in how people viewed the problems presented by a certain personality. The status quo somewhere decided certain personality traits, or individualism wasn't good for you. The drug RITALIN, first given to me in 1993, was a great suprise. We were told it would help me concentrate better. What we weren't told is it was in fact a drug which would change my personality as a whole. The effects of this drug after it's administrtion of it for 2 or so years were unreversible in my personal experience. It has been over ten years since my introduction to it and still I have not shaken it completely.

The medicine changed me from a fun loving, creative, funny individualist into a purely logical bore of a person. Nowadays I still find it nearly imposible to enjoy anything and damaged severely my capacity to socialize with people. This was it's purpose and means of reducing distraction. The advent of this drug has ruined my personality and I feel like they owe me for it. How do replace a persons youth?
This also reflects the corporate ability to push a drug without the proper independant research. Just a personal experience I thought I would share. Also this post cannot begin to describe the total effects this drug had on my life.
OUTLAW RITALIN OR REPLACE IT WITH METH, THEY ARE VERY SIMILAR.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The problem I ve with the premise in the OP is this:

people with the alleged ODD, if real, can hardly participate in any movement etc because this in fact requires organization and ability to commnunicate and compromise. I can hardly think of a cunning politician or revolutionary that would be a clean cut case of ODD as it is described in this thread. You can do only so much being disagreable and irrational.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

You sure your OK? Just checking because what you just wrote makes absolutely no sence. Are you taking one of these drugs currently and if so, what one?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I can just picture myself walking into the Emergency room and saying i need something for my ODD tendencies. Gimme something.
I'd be kicked out of there in a heartbeat.

Pharmaceuticals and doctors want to push illnesses and get you hooked, then control you. CONTROL.
CONTROL is the key word.

I was a bad child.
I outgrew it and became, well, the best person i could be. ME.
I'm rebellious by nature, but most people are. Not many people want to be led around by a ball and chain and be told what to do.
The youth is youth, and although there are varying circumstances, throughout all generations kids have been...kids. Its just easier to cope with them when they are dumbed down, than to deal with the raw issue
of a kid being a kid.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EntitySeed

Correct me if I'm wrong, BuddaSystem, but I believe what you're saying is if a person has ODD, they're in no shape to organize a revolution. To put it very simply for the sake of clarification.

Possibly true, but the main thrust of the article is that the diagnosis of ODD has been stretched, so to speak, to include more and more people, even teenagers who are naturally rebellious and contrary at times... and not just people with actual ODD.

And then extrapolating on that idea, wouldn't it possible to simply drug/dumb down anyone with ideas/behaviors outside the norm?

Edit to add: Meant to reply to post by BuddaSystem.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Exactly what kattraxx said BuddaSystem. My last post was totally uncalled for. It's just that I'm very passionate about this topic and hope that this gets more attention before someone tears it apart. It's bad enough that doctors can't move without the insurance companies telling them what they can and cannot do. On top of that, we now have drug companies sticking their noses where they don't belong.
I personally was a victim of this but in the 60's when I was a teen the drugs they had then was strong enough to kill an elephant or at least put one to sleep for a week. Now days these mind altering drugs turn our kids into what I can only describe as mindless. I mean if you could of only seen my granddaughter. This is a real problem that is not going to go away in the near future, if at all.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Speaking from first hand experience. I was in a job with a multinational corporation and the nature of my job suddenly changed from a positive role, solving customers problems, to a negative one, taking abuse from customers as said multinational corporation was exploiting their customers and the law said they were and as staff we were told unlawfully to fob off customers and give them the run around.

As you all probably know if a human being has only negative stimuli then their mood and world view becomes negative. Mine got so negative from working for aforementioned multinational corporation that i suffered from depression. My personal physicians/General Practicioners answer to my problem was to prescribe me with a Fluoxine based pharmacuetical pretty much a form of Prozac, which has a side affect of increasing depression.

Needless to say in the short term I was mellow, but after a few months the depression kicked back in worse. It also increased my aggression and when I did not take them for a few days and I was less aggressive, i.e impulsively violent, but restricted to my home surroundings.

I decided to go cold turkey from these commonly pescribed anti depressants. The result of which led to several disturbing psychotic episodes which again I was lucky to keep within my own home and not harm anyone. I have been on one of those so called medicines for over a year and I honestly believe that they do more harm than good. Speaking from first hand experience.

The answer to curing my depression came by telling the multinational corporation to stuff their job where the sun doesn't shine and not taking mind altering prescription drugs.

My advice, if you are depressed, isolate the cause and if you can eject it from your life. I know this is not an easy thing but you will keep you sanity in the long run. I hope some of you will benefit from my experience.

edit for missing word (on)

[edit on 29-1-2008 by djaybeetoo]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Before antidepressant medication, my career was on the upswing and going places. Seven years on medication turned me into a zombie. I lost my "drive to succeed" and didn't really care much about anything anymore.

Once I discovered that it was chemicals in the food and products I used that was causing the depression, I changed my diet to be all organic and replaced all of my personal care products and household products with organic and eco-friendly alternatives. My depression went away, I got off the meds and my career is back on track.

So in my opinion, they want us all to be on these drugs. And they feed us chemicals that cause mental disturbances to get us on these drugs. It's a downward spiral and the only way out is to walk away from all commercial products, processed foods and drugs (OTC and Pharmaceutical).

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
i guess all ron paul supporters should be put on this,, ehh

where do i get my scrip filled????

how did people survive for 200o years with all these problems and no wonder drugs to cure them????sarcastic

just to add this is so angering----as much as removing anyone who has taken depression medication to own a gun-----granted there are some people who are "sick"---but i know many average,,,functioning people on depression meds who deserve every right to own a gun

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Educrats have been dumbing-down creative rebellion with prescription schools for over a century now. Just read anything by John Taylor Gatto. Who needs drugs when you can create artificial impersonal slums for children and call them schools? The fact that educators, psychologists, and other child "experts" now seem to need drugs to help them may indicate the compulsory conscription-based school system is breaking down!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Your point is well taken. Drugs most certainly are a tool that could be used for what you suggest.

The key word here I think is tool. Tools can be used for good or bad and the deciding factor, in this case, is the prescribing doctor and parents or teachers who would resort to this without exhausting all other possibilities.

I was forced to terminate an employee yesterday who fit the definition of ODD. In this case the drug might make it possible for this otherwise intelligent man to function. I took him as a hard case from a local shelter. He questioned and argued with every rule of conduct and endangered my business and the jobs of everyone in my office.

Over the few days he was around he disagreed, in a hostile manner, with every decision I made and with every common sense rule dictated by the laws I operate under. It was clear he could not control his behavior. There was literally no way this man could function in any capacity where other human beings were involved. If instructed not to do something he immediately did it. Often his actions put me at a legal risk as it spilled over to his actions with clients. These drugs might help him to at least survive.

Granted this was an extreme case, but it shows that these drugs do have a valid use and that the problem lies with the prescriber and those in authority.

I'd think where the real danger would lie is if this were administered to an entire population without their knowledge. Unless it was something that could be given once and work for a long period, it would be fruitless even in that circumstance without a way to keep the dosage up for long periods of time. Perhaps a water supply?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
In the classroom, it it often a fine line distinction between the disruptive student and the student who asks too many questions. The difference is usually determined by the teacher, who is, coincidentally, the person whose authority is being challenged by the behavior.

Anytime you allow those in power to determine the validity of the criticism directed toward them you are flirting with tyranny.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fuzzyone
In the classroom, it it often a fine line distinction between the disruptive student and the student who asks too many questions. The difference is usually determined by the teacher, who is, coincidentally, the person whose authority is being challenged by the behavior.

A good teacher will not react to questions as personal insults. And there is no such thing as too many questions. Just ask Socrates.

The problem is, that good teachers are hard to find, and that the North American college system sets abysmally low standards in teacher training, and pre-secondary teaching pays poorly. So the system favours stupid cruel hypocritical bullies as teachers, resentful of the "elitist nerds, keeners, and beakers" who can make a career in science, engineering, and medicine. No way would I trust someone like that near children, especially smart children!

Anytime you allow those in power to determine the validity of the criticism directed toward them you are flirting with tyranny.

The government-run school system has long past the point where it actually educates.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

I really must disagree with the slant this thread is leaning towards.

Although I do agree that Big Pharma (BP) has wrongly influenced some healthcare professionals and institutions I believe the underlying reason is greed more so than a dark conspiracy to quell rebellion.

It is true that ADD (as an example) is overly diagnosed in this country (USA) as it is the new hip disease to have. I personally believe though that the crap we eat has more of an affect on us than even our doctors will admit to. Parents drag their kids in to have a doctor give them something to calm down, only to stop at McDonalds on the way home.
It's the parents that should be criticized as much if not more than BP.

I too was a hyper kid who always tested extremely well in school but never, and i mean NEVER did homework. I was openly ridiculed in class in front of my peers for not doing what everyone else was doing and after years of that kind of constant ridicule developed a wonderful little self image that brought about depression and eventual alcohol abuse. I was a nervous wreck; I couldn't sleep, never able to be in crowds, amongst people I liked and doing things I wanted. I felt horrible about myself and the world around me.

It wasn't until I was in my early 20s did I happen upon a clinic that specialized in ADD diagnosis and treatment that would only use prescription medication as a last resort.
After changing my diet, monitoring my sleep schedule and a little couch time now and then it was then decided to give the pills a try.

I take Adderall daily and have been for over 5 years now, and this drug has changed my life. My mood swings and anxiety have all but disappeared, my overall outlook about life in general has done a complete 180 and I am doing things and enjoying my life like I never thought possible. I can focus on the things I need to, I can now do the things that I always had wanted but never thought my head could handle.

I feel that this comes down to the responsibility of the individual and in cases of minors, the parent. Until they start putting it in the water or spraying it in our skies (a little friendly baiting for the chemtrailers) no one can blame a company for something that a doctor suggests and you as a parent approves for your child. Think for yourself, do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

As far as taking the rebelliousness out of someone; In my high school yearbook the quote under my picture was my goal in life: "To Fight The Indoctrination". If anything, Im more of a threat now to the establishment than ever. BP's product gave me the ability to see things for what they are; if I wasn't medicated I wouldn't care about the shredding of the constitution or world affairs, I'd be too busy trying to dress myself in the morning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join