It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA told the CDC not to report on long term effects of formaldehyde emitting trailers.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
the problem is this...

Fema needed these in a hurry! They bought as many as they could from the manufacturers at retail price, they thought they might need more than what was available so they told the manufactures to put a rush on some plain ones. They quickly made more using too much glue, this caused the extra odor, which is toxic.

When I walked into one of the smelly ones, It was very easy to notice. Im sure out of the few that got one of these, most would ask for a different one. It was clear they had more than enough trailors at some locations.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Please note: I am not taking a side here, Im neutral.

Should they have announced it? Sure.

Would I have chosen to stay there anyhow if I lost everything in a huricane and couldnt go anywhere else? Maybe.

Someone else posted this is getting blown out of proportion and I agree!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
well, i think that dr de Rosa is just as guilty---he stood by and only now is probably coming forward----he is as spineless as the rest for not getting the word out at the time---

also---=-isn't this a lose lose situation----granted it was wrong---but if the trailers weren't provided we'd have another problem---homeless people

so if they use them there's risks and if not allowed homeless and freezing

of course why not just warn them and let them ascess the risk as to use them or not---scandal averted

can we ever get something done right---everything seems always seems to end up in a mess,,, doesn't it???

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beenherebefore

Let me correct something you said...

It's not just the glue, it's mostly the particle board used in their construction:

Formaldehyde FAQ's

Formaldehyde is found virtually everywhere, indoors and out, naturally occurring and man-made. It is a combustion product found in cigarette and wood smoke, natural gas, kerosene, exhaust from automobiles, incinerators and power plants. It is also widely used in building materials especially glue, Urea-formaldehyde foam insulation and pressed-wood products such as plywood, particle board, paneling and wood finishes. Many floor coverings contain formaldehyde such as carpet, padding and adhesives. Also used in furniture, paper products, cosmetics, deodorants, shampoos, fabric dyes and permanent-press fabrics, inks, disinfectants, air deodorizers and carpet deodorizers. Mobile homes, motor homes, and travel trailers are known for high amounts of formaldehyde since so many of their components may be made from particle board or pressed-wood products.

I also take exception to the implication that because FEMA had to acquire these trailers quickly, their overall culpability is somehow mitigated.

FEMA wouldn't even let their own employees into these trailers!

FEMA Warns Workers Not to Enter Stored Trailers

FEMA tells workers to stay out of thousands of its stored travel trailers, amid concerns about exposure to hazardous fumes. A spokeswoman says formaldehyde emission levels rise when the trailers are closed in heat and humidity without ventilation.

And from the same source:

Since the spring of 2006, the Sierra Club documented complaints about formaldehyde levels in trailers. Last year, the EPA tested 96 unoccupied units for formaldehyde and had the CDC evaluate the results.

But none of the information came out until a federal hearing was conducted by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee last July. Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA) the committee chairman, grilled FEMA Director David Paulison.

So we have FEMA, the EPA, and now the CDC, all attempting to suppress this information.

That doesn't make you hopping mad?????

It makes my blood boil.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by loam]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
shorty warn i think your last post was well thought out. Emotion did not get the best of you, where story's like this tend to do. You seem like you had a balanced post IMO.

Yes the gov't is corrupt. I'm sure much more than we know, because the press certainly doesn't have access and approval to cover everything.

any who....with "leaders" being how they are and the economy and stock market indefintely tip toeing thru a mine field too, i am just happy that their are not tanks rolling down my street, and that i can sleep safely at nite and have a job and enough time to have fun in my life, and that i value treating others with a good intentions.

Life is very corrupt, you can't believe authority organizations because they are all about money and power, you can't blindly put your trust in professional's or authority figure's because IMO many believe they are smarter than you and think you need them to tell you what to believe (not because it's true, they don't think you can or should be tested on wether you can handle that) but because it may be for your own good or because they are plainly looking to manipulate you (and if you can't figure that out, they believe you deserve what you get) and they make a buck. Their are endless ways people will rationalize wronging another. But no matter, the human condition seems not to value truth that much unless too much pain is inflicted first , otherwise blissful ignorance will do the job, and this little psychological tidbit allows the lies and deception to be repeated in all industry's and walks of life.

so FEMA and the CDC were complicent in failing to disclose dangers to inhabitors of FEMA trailers........shocker. Like they would risk losing millions on re-building or fixing every trailor. Do the math, (which they probably did) and they probably determined it would be less costly to pay out any lawsuits although they probaby thought they would get away with it anyway. Business morals are dead, "ordingary people" need to stop thinking that people making decisions that impact millions of dollars (in their businesses) act as morally as themselves regarding everyday crap, and yes the people who make morally bankrupt decisons that could impact you in a very negative way will rationalize to themselves (buyer beware) whatever it is.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaxium
Seems to me that this is mainly an issue which originates in the hands of the manufacturer. The manufacturer should be held responsible. Government should have released news when they first realized the toxins and not suppressed it. One could raise the question, are there other trailors made the same way that put others at risk for formaldehyde toxins besides the ones the govt. used?

I agree. if the manufacturer built these trailers with toxic chemicals in levels that would result in a dangerous living environment then they are directly liable. But that doesn't take away from the fact that these government agencies have made big mistakes and continue to. Our government pretty much altogether dropped the ball when it came to Katrina and lots of people probably died because these agencies were ill-prepared for a disaster of this magnitude (despite many people being briefed on the destructive capacity of the hurricane days before it even hit landfall).

If I remember correctly, even the president himself was given the same briefing days prior to the hurricane hitting (it was videotaped). He and other agency members made later comments that they had no idea that this was going to be a major catastrophe but at least some of them were, in fact, warned by experts. They did nothing. What did president bush do? he didn't even visit New Orleans after it was hit but instead flew over it to see the damage? The problem is that these were human beings (americans) dying one after another, their lives being destroyed. Many people probably could have been saved if government officials (including the president) would have heeded the warnings given to them. Instead noone was prepared.

Many saw it as a way to make money off of the lives of innocent Americans. There are many ways why this is so, including the fact that Blackwater contractors were in the disaster area before FEMA was (as well as others). We couldn't even get water in there for 5 days but wasn't Blackwater there in a day or two?

Sorry I went off on a tangent.
Another problem is that due to the trailer manufacturer's liability (whatever that may be legally) these government officials may try to use that as a tactic to escape ridicule. (It wasn't my fault, it was theirs).. But I don't know how likely that would be given that their deniability has been hampered by this news story. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

-ChriS

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
While I cannot comment directly on the use of formaldehyde in the trailers that FEMA provided after Katrina, (and yes I did watch The Big Easy to Big Empty)I can comment on the side effects of formaldehyde itself.
Even though it is widely disputed as being safe now, in the early 80's my family had Urea Formaldehyde foam insulation put into our house.
I have read many documents stating it causes health problems, and it doesn't cause health problems.
Within a few months of it being installed, my father was stricken with agressive bone cancer.Within a year of my fathers diagnosis, my mother was found to have breast cancer, which within 4 years took her lung and then spread throughout her body. I lost both my parents to cancer.
I care not what the experts say.My parents were perfectly healthy, non smokers, non drinkers.Both became seriously ill after formaldehyde was used in our home. How I came away healthy is beyond me, but I thank my lucky stars everyday that I did.
When it came down to selling the house after my parents death, the insulation was a huge issue as far as putting it on the market.You truly have no idea.The stuff is dangerous to our health.When they say it is not it is simply to cover their ass so they can keep on using it.
Buyer beware.
The new carpet or furniture you just bought could be the death of you.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I didn't mean to come off as I was attacking you. Sorry if it sounded that way.

I agree. The best we can do is vote.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
During my existence on planet Earth I have done some pretty mean things- but I have never and will never kick someone when they are down like FEMA has done to the American Citizens of Louisiana.

All of my victims had it coming. Now I am after FEMA and the rest of the elite evil cabals who are senselessly and mercilessly killing my off my species.

Whats next? How long will it take before the people let our government have it? Pitch forks, ropes and hand axes. Just let me know. I'm in!

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

[
Buyer beware.
The new carpet or furniture you just bought could be the death of you.

Right on! This is why I buy things that are at least 75 years old!

Antiques can save your life! Who knew!

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by beenherebefore

Sorry but this is a lame reason. Our government could easily have purchased already built trailers- in mint condition or even slightly used trailers.

I mean they are for displaced American Citizens. Screw FEMA.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This is criminal negligence.

Lawsuits should come from this. Or at least they would if any of the victims had enough money to pay for a lawyer.

Just what the economy needs. A multi-billion dollar class action settlement that we'll all pay for in taxes. Makes me sick.

I can't wait until this administration is out the door. The question is, with all of these 'change' candidates, will we actually see any change?

Doubtful. Washington is out of control.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Uncle Sam really screwed us on this one. Another point for the NWO. The gov't did nothing when New Orleans was wet & hungry. They did nothing to fix the formaldehyde problem. They let the insurance companies screw us. They helped the religous groups get richer.
I'm from Bay St Louis, MS. Our home was reduced to a slab. Me & my family only lived in a FEMA Trailer for a few months. We all heard the stories about the formaldehyde, but what can you do? My parents lived in one for a year & a half. They didn't seem to have any additional health problems. I've heard many stories about headaches, sinus & stomach problems. Also a friend says he has been harrased by FEMA after complaining about the formaldehyde issue. And his father was fired by FEMA after rasing questions.

I've been wondering what was in those shots they were giving Katrina victims that evacuated. We went to Georgia 3 days after the storm. They wanted to give us shots. We refused, but most folks didn't.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by corusso]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join