It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact and Fiction, The Iraq Conflict

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Regardless of the numbers , be it 80K or 1Meg, or 350K, they are human LIVES. Most of these people didn't want war, most aren't terrorists, and most are just trying to survive.
Remember the movie Red Dawn. How would most of us react if the situation in the movie actually occurred? Who did you think the "good guys" were in the movie? OK, now switch locales to Iraq. Do I make my point?
There are "just wars". However, I don't think that this is one of them. We learned nothing from the Vietnam War. We're making the same mistakes, and it's costing this country not only money, but our soul.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
We disposed Saddam and at that point the "war" was over. We are there in support of the Democratically Elected Government of Iraq, at THEIR request.

I am honestly sorry to even answer to such an old post, but I couldn't help my self remarking that this post got it wrong from the start: Nobody invited the troops in Iraq at the first place. And furthermore, the war ain't over to the 'freedom fighters' or so called other 'power blocks' which seeks the power, which you are currently backing up for another 'power block'.

Now if you excuse me, I'll go somewhere else.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Well thanks for going somewhere else..

But as for being invited...

No one "invited" the North into the south in 1864 in the United States. Anyone here want to reverse that decision?

No one invited ol' Teddy into the Spanish American War. Want to reverse that one?

No one invited the Marines into the Boxer Rebellion. There are a few million that are still thankful for that one..Would you reverse that?

NO..??...

The Free and Democratically Elected Government of Iraq has every right to request aid from the United States and we have an obligation as the power Democracy in the world to assist.

You can make all the assumptions you want about that Government, you can warp their election around to fit your agenda, but you will never take from me the picture of the Iraqi people's faces as they risked death to come out and vote for the first real time in their lives!!!!

The only conflicts you don't like are the ones that don't fit in your world of political correctness. You can sit behind your keyboards all day and make assumptions about something you really have no first hand knowledge about. You have no guilt with ignoring all the good that has been done, and no problem with pointing out the bad. So very typical..

Semper

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I'm sorry for I came back.

Had to answer. No I don't want to reverse any of those already happened events, and I can't reverse Iraq 'liberation' either.

I hope you are right - that Iraq will become better, and that the whole event wouldn't be 'out from the pan into the fire'-scenario. You correctly pointed out that I have doubts about legality of elections there. And I have doubts about the emergence of democracy also. It is of course an 'new democracy' and very volatile. But I can't help my self with the feeling, maybe I should go see a doctor?

How much do you think that government represents people?

I give you two examples, but you can figure out more by yourself if you want to argue:

1) Despite the fact that Iraq government wants allied troops to stay in Iraq, man on the street gets the impression that most Iraqis want troops to leave.

2) Despite the fact that US/British/etc. governments wants the troop to stay and secure Iraq, many(if not majority) of the citizens of previous countries wants the troops out and Iraqi's to decide about their fate by themselves.

Oh well, I guess those evil Arabs from other countries would interfere with Iraq if allied troops were to leave? In that case we could allow authorize UN interference.

Most countries have had civil wars after all. What I see here, is that now that this civil war has been artificially subdued, it may lay dormant until the troops leave and then erupt again, and we would be back to the begin. Well, I guess the course of action has already been chosen, and all I can do is criticize that, and you can always have your opinions as well.

Thank you for your input.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join