It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto Tourism officials reject reigning Miss Canada Plus because she reads tarot cards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Here's a news story about a person being rejected to judge a beauty contest because of their personal beliefs. So much for religion not being judgmental.
Source

I couldn't believe the explanation:

Stephanie Conover, who was crowned winner of the Miss Canada Plus Pageant last year, said she was recently invited to be a judge at the Miss Toronto Tourism pageant on Feb. 2.

"I said I'd definitely be there," Conover told the Star yesterday.

"Then, last week, on Monday, they asked me for a biography. I told them everything I do, how I'm an entertainer and a singer and a dancer. I talked about my charity work and I said I also have hobbies, including songwriting, knitting, painting, yoga, reiki and tarot cards."

That's where things got sticky.

"We just got her bio a week ago and we don't agree with it," said Karen Murray, Miss Toronto Tourism pageant director. "We want someone down to earth, not someone into the dark side or the occult."

"We need a judge who has an upright reputation and we would be proud to introduce to the audience," noted a Jan. 24 letter to the Miss Canada Plus group from Murray and another official with the Miss Toronto Tourism pageant.

"Our board of directors has eliminated her as a judge as tarot card reading and reiki are the occult and is not acceptable by God, Jews, Muslims or Christians. Tarot card reading is witchcraft and is used by witches, spiritists and mediums to consult the dark world."

I am of a Jewish background and I find Tarot acceptable. It's just another perspective to interpret events in one's life/past/future and how it's connected to Astrology. Funny how Tarot sound similar to Torah?... nah... just a coincidence.

The letter went on to quote a couple of passages from the Bible, including one from the book of Leviticus that warns, "Do not turn to mediums or seek out spirits for you will be defiled by them."

"We hope that Stephanie Conover will turn from these belief systems and will repent from her practice of them," the letter reads.

What do you think all other religions are?

The Miss Toronto Tourism pageant was established in 1999 and is independent of the city of Toronto's tourism branch.

Conover said she was stunned by the letter."I was fuming. They said tarot cards are the occult and that I use them to commune with dark forces," which she insisted is not the case. "They're completely benign. I use them for healing, to give guidance. You can buy tarot cards at Chapters or the CNE."

She also said reiki is a well-known Japanese healing system that allows people to transfer positive energy to a sick person. "It definitely goes against convention, sure, but anything that helps avoid use of prescription drugs is a bonus, I think."

Conover said she practises Wicca, which to some means she's a witch. But she said the Miss Toronto Tourism people didn't know that and that they based their rejection of her on tarot cards and reiki.

"Some would call me a witch, yes. But we don't believe in the devil. There's no devil in Wicca. We believe whatever you send out, good or bad, comes back to you three times. Ninety per cent of those who practise witchcraft or Wicca do it for the betterment of themselves or others. It's a religion and we're trying to get it recognized by higher-ups in government."

Conover said she also promotes diversity and multiculturalism as her mother is black and her father is white. Murray insisted Conover is "trying to stir up trouble" by raising the issue in the press. "She's obviously a very vindictive person," she said. Murray said her group doesn't get government funding and has the right to decide who acts as a judge in their pageant.

I understand that a private company can choose their associates, however, it looks like Murray is immediately calling Stephanie 'vindictive'. Why and how is she being vindictive? I don't get any hint of revenge in this article.

Asked if her group is a religious one, Murray replied, "We adhere to God's principles. We're God-fearing. I wouldn't say we're religious."

I find this statement interesting. If you adhere to god's principles, are you not following some sort of religion? Clearly you are, because you are told that Tarot cards etc. are the tools of the devil. But later in this statement, she mentions that THEY are god-fearing but not religious. Funny, perhaps this person and the board of directors need to get a Tarot reading to clear up their confusion.

thanks for reading.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
That line summed it all up: They are AFRAID OF GOD AND ADMIT THEY ARE NOT SPIRITUAL PEOPLE. They are not religious, they are fearful of God!! What a thing to admit. The same as saying:" I am fearful of those with intelligence, but we have a brain! "

Utter stupidity; redneck thinking so far north, what a shame.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

I have to agree with you. It is so sad that we see this sort of thinking more and more in a day and age where tolerance and equality are supposed to be king.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is simply unbelievable. My jaw literally dropped and stayed there as I read the article. Murray sounds really stupid and yes, confused as well. Conover was vindictive???? How did she get this conclusion?

I am a witch and I'm just so tired of people condemning my religion as Satanic, along with astrology, Tarot cards, etc. Back in the medieval ages, I'm sure the Catholic church taught that these things were evil. But one would hope that people had dispensed with medieval thinking and became enlightened. These people never do any research into these things either, they just label them Satanic. Scary.

Thanks Quintar for posting this. I gave you a "flag".

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I learned how to read Tarot cards for a job as a fortune teller in a restaurant called "Pyewacket's" (named after the cat in "Bell, Book and Candle"). It was a second job, and I didn't take the fortune telling seriously at first. I was surprised how often the cards were accurate. While the Tarot deals with unseen forces, these forces are not necessarily "dark;" I guess it depends on who is using them. I'm a Christian (although I don't believe in a devil, so I guess I'm not the usual one) and I don't think there's anything wrong with the Tarot. I respect Wicca as a religion. The tourism people are just superstitious.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I HOPE THAT EVIL DEVIL WORSHIPPING WITCH CASTS AN EVIL SPELL ON THAT WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

how ignorant does she sound????? she sounds so ignorant i believe she is way more damaging than the tarot reader

and to me----i don't see tarot reading as religion per say---more of a hobby or interest, or belief----i can't quite get it out right----but maybe you know what i'm saying

there's no churches where tarot readers meet every sunday---
it's something you see at the beach boardwalk for fun-----granted it may be real or true---i'm not arguing it's not real or true and real for thoise who believe in it

why are people god fearing----i thought he loved us and forgave us for everything, no????

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
reply to post by eyewitness86

I have to agree with you. It is so sad that we see this sort of thinking more and more in a day and age where tolerance and equality are supposed to be king.

Tolerance applies only to groups (not persons) groups that are big, rich, and connected enough to defend themselves well, or have a history of being photogenic victims. Toronto Tourism tolerates Jews and Muslims well enough, but not Wiccans, "witches", and Tarot readers.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I am not shocked at the behavior of this women. I have not considered myself Christan for 20 years. I have heard all the devil worshipping stuff. Unfortunately we can't change how they believe. They are uneducated and there for assume. When you assume. You make a ass of u and me. I would not put a spell on her this goes against the three fold law. The witch hunt is on. Won't belong till we have no rights in US. At least we are not being hung, drowned or burned at stake. God I hope it does not come to that. I am very open about me only beliefs and probably be one of the first to go.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
That's just stupid, and though the article doesn't seem to say if the outfit gets any city money, I'm sure they'll have a say in this.

After all, Toronto has the annual gay 'Pride Festival', so I think it can be given credit for a degree of ...what? Tolerance?

I doubt this will fly at City Hall, and I'll look into it and report back.

Quick edit to say that I know at least one of the local Universities has regard for Wiccan holidays as part of the panoply.

ALSO...the heading is misleading as the article plainly says

Miss Toronto Tourism officials reject reigning Miss Canada Plus because she reads tarot cards
and follows..."The Miss Toronto Tourism pageant was established in 1999 and is independent of the city of Toronto's tourism branch."

[edit on 20-2-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Ok, here's the reply for the note I sent to the Mayor of Toronto:

Dear Mr. XXX:
Your e-mail addressed to Mayor David Miller was forwarded to Access Toronto, the public information and referral service for the City of Toronto.

The City has no connection, financially or otherwise, with this organization.

I hope this is helpful and please do not hesitate to let me know if you require further information or assistance.

Sincerely,
XXX
Access Toronto/Public Information
City of Toronto

So...no blame goes to the T-dot.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by quintar

Here in Australia, that excuse is grounds for legal action based on discrimination against religious beliefs. Wicca is a recognised belief system here and to be outrightly refused based on a belief system is pure discrimination...!!!

I live near Neerim in Victoria, nearly 80% of the towns population of several thousand are either Wicca, Druid or of other Celtic beliefs. They celebrate the Belrain there every year.

Well on the bright side, atleast there wasn't a mob outside her home to drag her into the street and burn her at the stake..lol I'd like to think mankind has become a little more intelligent over time...

new topics

top topics

join