It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locheed and Boeing will build the new U.S. bomber?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I just found that while searching the web. It's very interesting, because Air Force said it will fly it's bombers for a long time (i think 2040) and rather fund other projects.

Well I don't know exactly which bomber will they retire. It could be B-52, because of the age, or B-2 because of the cost.
I think the new one will be a large, heavy strategic bomber like B-52, but maybe more similar to B-2 (stealth, maybe all-wing design).

Does anyone know anything more about it??

Maybe it's an answer to Russian PAK-DA?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sovietman

I think the design will be similar to the B-1 and Tu-160. It should be fast, very fast and somewhat stealthy.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
No, this is old news, so to speak, predating this Russian concept submission. The USAF will introduce in service by 2018 a new (likely) medium bomber, also know as the "Interim Bomber". However I hesitate to use that phrase for various reasons. Anyway I suggest reading the following threads below to get more of an insight on the topic.

USAF: Next Bomber
Pentagon New Bomber
New Bomber: 2018

Other External Sources

New Bomber For USAF
Interom Bomber
Next Generation Bomber

In a nut shell this will be a very low visibility airframe with medium performance specifications in range and payload. Utilizing advanced sensors and technology, mostly off the shelf systems and others in high TRL's. It will be procured in large quantities and will not directly replace any current US bomber per se. It will merely add on capability, the BUFF, Bone and Spirit will continue to serve for more decades to come. Some of our current bombers will be directly and finally replaced in 2037-2038 when a new exotic heavy bomber is stated to enter service.

For more information about these bombers I refer you to the following link.

The Air Force has already dialed down some of the initial expectations for the new plane. What was once expected to be a supersonic, super-stealthy, long-range bomber is now looking more like a manned, subsonic aircraft with a range of 2,500 nautical miles— attainable even with the nuclear payload Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne recently said he wants to see as a requirement.

Sources say the service plans to buy only about 100 of the stop-gap planes while exploring other options for future bombers, which may also hold down the amount the Air Force will have to invest in building planes while working on the next next-generation bomber — the so-called "2037 bomber."

Link

It seems the 2018 bomber's initial range estimates were off, now we have a quoted un-refueled combat range in the ~2,875 statue mile vicinity. And a suggested procurement of 100 airframes. Interesting developments…

Also, I don't think this means that Boeing and Lockmart will definitely build the new bomber simply that they will combine assets and partner up for a joint proposal. Since the USAF has yet to issue a precise requirement and award a contract it's too early to rule out the other players. Namely Northrop and perhaps other foreign companies, BAE for example… But perhaps Intelgurl can shed some more light for us on what’s going on in the industry.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Thanks Westpoint23, that's interesting.

But doesn't U.S. airforce have enough bombers? Spirits are really in small quantities, Bones in a little bigger, but B-52s are in a big enough number. Why do they need 100 medium range bombers in the age of ICBMs??

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Its not that its a capability gap - its costs alot of money to fly a B52 to a target - and even more for the B2 , they ideally want something smaller , with a good payload over a good range - something to fill the shoes really of the F111

personally i like the Fb-23 concept myself , and it would be supersonic to boot.

top topics

join