It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns, what good are they....?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Guns are what levels the playing field, both between individuals and between government and the people. Looking for examples, here you go:

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” - Cesare Beccaria

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. Freedom is a well-armed sheep disputing the vote." - Author Unknown

For a more recent example, let's look at WWII. The Germans never invaded Switzerland... Why - because they're "neutral"? Was it the Alps? I don't think so. It's because every household is REQUIRED to have an automatic weapon in the house. Hitler knew no army could conquer an armed society. To this end, several cities in the US have started making it mandatory to have a gun in the house, and guess what - crime rates go down.....

For an in depth look, check out the book "More Guns, Less Crime" by John Lott. He did an in depth study on the effects of gun control in the US. Because of all the statistics, it's a hard read, but well worth it if you want the truth about gun control.

To andre18, I'll leave you with this:

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers. - Thomas Jefferson

[edit on 30-1-2008 by shorin]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

before your jump on the Americans in iraq thing don't forget that Australia still has troops in theater in iraq as well as about 49 other countries involved in either fighting, logistics or intelligence gathering duties.

Respectfully
GEO

[edit on 1/30/2008 by geocom]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by shorin

I’m not interested what some guy said hundreds of years ago….that was then this is now……such quotes are irrelevant as the time they were said are well……….from a different time…and anyway….suppose what you say is even remotely true and crime would go down with guns……what's wrong with banning automatic weapons? Say you kept hand guns…..why can’t you ban every other type….?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
geocom

before your jump on the Americans in iraq thing don't forget that Australia still has troops in theater in iraq as well as about 49 other countries involved in either fighting, logistics or intelligence gathering duties.

I never said I support what Australia is doing…..mind you Rudd is supposedly having our troops back this year for good…..I don’t see the need for any country to have a military…..

Apparently, an army, an air force and a navy is used for the soul purpose of defending against other countries……this mentality is so damn primitive…..If every country in the world took away its military, then there’d be no countries to attack any other…..same principle as guns, one person has a gun, another person feels the need to have one to defend against that person, and then another person feels the need to have one to defend against those two people, and then everyone wants a gun to defend themselves against everybody else……. BS mentality….

One country has Nukes, then every other country needs nukes to defend themselves against that country with nukes, and soon every country has nukes….. hmmmm what a peaceful world that is…lol

[edit on 30-1-2008 by andre18]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

While I do applaud your fortitude on the subject because you keep replying I know this is something that you really believe in but there are many that don't.

even now in Australia there are people saying that gun control was a bad thing

However due to your diligence I did a little reading on gun control there and Guns are not illegal to own you just have to get a license and depending on your need and use the license and type of firearms you can own vary..

Apparently the people in queensland have the most freedoms with there arms they can even have another gun owners gun loaned to them or loan out there gun on a temporary basis.. farmers it appears have the easiest route to gun ownership but all that said I don't agree with the licensing process or the varying levels of licensing it is not as bad as I thought over there you still have nearly as much gun ownership as we have in the states and the one thing I applaud is the gun safe requirement everyone should have one or at the very least a good location to secure their firearms I also didn't care that personal defense was not a reason for owning a firearm but hell just lie and tell them you are a shooting enthusiast and you are on your way

at any rate best of luck on your journey with this..

Respectfully
GEO

[edit on 1/30/2008 by geocom]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My, I seem to have hit a nerve by explaining that the government has trained you like a seal to see everyone around you as "the enemy" and that you will be utterly unable to fight off the government, no matter how well-armed you are.That the same government will try really hard to preserve this right - to give you the false illusion of power while they destroy the rest of your rights unnoticed by you.

I'll give you that if we had some magic fairy dust to make every gun disappear and all knowledge of their mechanics and construction went bye-bye we'd stop gun-violence. But a) that isn't going to happen and b) it would just be replaced by something else

Curiously, I said nothing about any of this bullhockey. I was simply commenting on the mental conditioning you've received from your government, to make them the good guys for valiantly preserving a right that has grown rather obsolete since its inception (Fighting a tyranny was a lot easier when you and that tyranny had the same level of weaponry, after all) while stripping all your other rights AND telling you that it's all your neighbors you should be frightened of.

The fact that you would apparently be fully willing to murder a person for trying to steal your television says a lot about how effective this program has been.

You may want to stop touting the "Removing guns doesn't stop violence!" line, however, because it's a straw man, on two fronts. First off, nobody's out to obliterate guns, only restrict them in certain ways. No different than the restrictions on automobiles or prescription drugs. Second, nobody is saying it will end violence, only that it will lessen it somewhat. You're creating two false positions and then knocking them down, because, well, I guess it's a lot easier than confronting the actual positions.

As for the rest of the violence? Well, as Chris Rock put it, "Remember kids, any punk can fire from across the room, but it takes a MAN to get close enough to stab!"

I agree thoroughly with the statement

Take some advice and pull your own head out of magic fairy land before reality rips it out for you. You've a better chance of surviving if you pull it out on your own terms. Trust me.

Ah, this together with your assumption that I live in a gated community. Obviously you beleive that the ONLY way it is possible for someone to not beleive everyone in the world is out to get them, is if they live a totally sheltered life. Again, you have been taught well by your government.

After all, if everyone's your enemy, how hard will it be to get you to kill them? Those bastards might want tp sneak off with your Billy Ray Cyrus CD collection!

Myself, I've spent plenty of time in places and situations that most people would consider hellish. Know what I discovered? Most people don't care about you, one way or the other. THose who do are overwhelmingly positive in their interaction with you. Yes, crime happens, and pretty much everyone has it happen to them once or twice. But that does not make my neighbor my enemy. it does not make my wallet worth a human life - mine or my mugger's, either.

So... What's it like to be a slave, and live in constant fear of the people around you?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Guns have become an essential item of defense. It's not the owners who are responsible causing homicides, it's the criminals. If guns were banned what good will it do? The same criminals will exist,and these people, not matter if guns were banned or not, will still use this weapon to fulfill what they want.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by memory_nuke]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by geocom

I always thought there was a ban…..but as you’ve just told me we have the right to own them as much as you do……then why aren’t there as many people in Australia owning guns as there are in America…? I’m guessing we know that guns don’t solve problems……I keep asking this and I’m waiting for an answer.. .what's wrong with banning automatic weapons? Say you kept hand guns…..why can’t you ban every other type….?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
reply to post by geocom

I always thought there was a ban…..but as you’ve just told me we have the right to own them as much as you do……then why aren’t there as many people in Australia owning guns as there are in America…? I’m guessing we know that guns don’t solve problems……I keep asking this and I’m waiting for an answer.. .what's wrong with banning automatic weapons? Say you kept hand guns…..why can’t you ban every other type….?

Well rifles can be used for Deer Hunting.. (very Common in the Northern States)

Shotguns can be used for Bird hunting/Small game hunting (very common all over)

ban Automatic weapons... (buy it on black market)

Ban All Weapons (Get a Sword)

Man honestly.. think about it... jsut because u had been shot does not mean you are basicly dead... Recently there was a tragedy in Northern Wisconisn (Crandon) where a cop broke into a house of an Ex Girlfriends house... if one of hte people in the house would have had a firearm maybe all of them wouldnt have died... but the cop killed everyone EXCEPT one person.. who was shot TWICE.. and did not die...

if that Officer of the Law (who would have access to guns even if they were banned to Normal Citizens) would have had a blade (sword Knife ETC...) he would have KILLED everyone...

and if you think gettin beat with a baseball bat will just leave you with a few broken bones, your sadly mistaken... i know somone who was personaly hit with a bad... once... by accident... with a Catchers mask on.... and is now actualy retarded from Said incident ( i cant get a link or anything but he is my cousin... so you hafta trust me on this one)

Honestly

Give a pissed off 200lb male a Bat Sword or Knife, siad person will be able to do whatever violent crime he wants,

Give a 103lb female a firearm to prevent the action of said male, the male will not be able to perform the violent actions as was intended...

instead of banning guns, the U.S. Government should provide Fully-Automatic Weapons to EVERYONE who can pass psych tests a Rifle Training and as No Violent Crimes prior to gun possesson...

Guns have their Place in the World...

The whole point of my post is to say... if somone wants to kill somone.. it will happen... be it Pipe Bomb w/ Nails, Sword, Bat Knife or Gun... honestly id rather be shot and have a hole in my arm... than stabbed and have my organs become mush....

Buuuut... thats just my opinion...

(look forward to reading any replys)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
First as has been said.....I own a gun, or several for protection. Just like insurance. I dont care if the world is safe or not. I know I am. We have the right to keep and bear arms. If you are poor and robbing me, I dont care. If you have mental problems and are attacking me, I dont care. I know that I am safe, and so is my family. And finally I like to shoot. Bunnies, deer, rocks, beer cans, lakes, trees, dirt, mud, targets, old junk cars, ect ect. I can so I will. Hell that is my new motto..Thanks! I CAN SO I WILL!

I agree with above as well.......A armed society is a polite society. If and IF they come to my house to take guns, they better bring body bags for me and them.
You may ban guns down under or cali but lets see them pull that off in TEXAS...not gonna happen

Stores around here transfer LEGALLY on form 4s machineguns all day to civis. It is not the legal guns that cause the problem. It is the cheap Chinese junk that gangsters get from black market sales. So blame the PRC not US gun owners

[edit on 31-1-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

[edit on 31-1-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Well rifles can be used for Deer Hunting.. (very Common in the Northern States)

Shotguns can be used for Bird hunting/Small game hunting (very common all over)

Another primitive illogical thing for some reason I can’t comprehend people do…..local shops have food, people going around for the fun of it hunting animals for sport is sick…..I wonder if these sort of people get pleasure out of killing an animal that can't defend itself against a gun.....

You're telling me you can't kill a deer with a hand gun.....the only reason shotguns and such are used is because they are more effective, but that's hardly means you still can't easily kill a bear or a shark or any other animal with a handgun.....lol

Even the police in Australia only carry handguns.....because there's no need for any other type....

ban Automatic weapons... (buy it on black market)

Ban All Weapons (Get a Sword)

Yep, black market, but there'd still be less deadly weapons in the first place and that's the point.....

Man honestly.. think about it... jsut because u had been shot does not mean you are basicly dead... Recently there was a tragedy in Northern Wisconisn (Crandon) where a cop broke into a house of an Ex Girlfriends house... if one of hte people in the house would have had a firearm maybe all of them wouldnt have died... but the cop killed everyone EXCEPT one person.. who was shot TWICE.. and did not die...

Recently there was a war in Iraq where solders and military weapons killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people.....as well as thousands of American and Iraqi soldiers......

if that Officer of the Law (who would have access to guns even if they were banned to Normal Citizens) would have had a blade (sword Knife ETC...) he would have KILLED everyone...

As has been said to me, you're blaming the weapon instead of the criminal.....

instead of banning guns, the U.S. Government should provide Fully-Automatic Weapons to EVERYONE who can pass psych tests a Rifle Training and as No Violent Crimes prior to gun possesson...

LOL....yeah and then those guns will get stolen and sold in the streets....and then used for crime.....

[edit on 31-1-2008 by andre18]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
There are more then one problem with banning firearms.
One is obvious, to protect ourselves from foreign and domestic threats.
The other is the Constitution which seems to be eroding on a daily basis.

Lets look at 2 countries which has banned firearms, Australia and Great Britain.
Both have increased crime rates directly related to gun control.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18...............

'Hell yes......of course people are going to still use guns.....but a gun ban is still going to reduce the numbers.......from simply buying one you have to have the know how to build one....and knowing how to build a gun isn’t common knowledge'

Sorry mate but that's just plain wrong. I've two things to say to you.

Firstly, as I said in an earlier reply to your post, people kill people. Since Cain first slew Able, man has sought better ways to kill his fellow man and has spent billions doing so.

A ballpoint pen can be used to kill just as easily as using a .22 Saturday Night Special or even a tightly rolled up newspaper for that matter.

Secondly, your statement above in wildly misleading.

Here in the UK there is almost a total ban own owning a firearm of any kind, unless you have a REALLY good reason.

In the UK, contrary to government figures, gun crime [across the board] has more than doubled since Labour came to power. [That's probably innaccurate as I'm sure the figure is much higher in certain locations]

More and more teenagers in the big city gangs are turning to firearms and shooting their rivals and, more often than not, innocent bystanders in their quest for 'rights of passage' to and as a way of proving their standing within their so-called brotherhood.

Gang related shootings and gun related crime is up. Fact!

There are more than 2 MILLION illegal firearms in this country which [you might be interested to know] is more than the army, navy, air force and police posess.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Ok so illegal guns are being used frequently in gangs in the UK…….if guns were legal….would not the same thing still be happening only at even a higher level…? It would be so much easer to attain a gun then from some shady guy on the street just by simply buying one…..and I’m guessing there are some young adults who are in these gangs….so it’d be so easy to get a gun if they were legal…..

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I would like for the op to consider the following points regarding gun ownership.

- In this world it is every human beings God granted right to defend themselves from those that want to hurt them.

-Because of this right and because of our human nature we as humans will always defend ourselves from such attacks with whatever means possible. If a woman is being raped she will defend herself by hitting, kicking, Biting, screaming, as well as using any other object available to disable her attacker. My point here is that it is human nature to defend ourselves and we will utilize anything that can equalize the fight. Whether an individual chooses his fists, a knife, or a gun to defend themselves the result is the same, and they are all weapons.

-The fact of the matter is that in our world guns have evolved into a very sophisticated and efficient weapon and thus is the choice of armies around the world.

-Because the governments and thus the people choose to arm their military with guns there is no way to eliminate guns from the world. If you are for the banning of guns then to avoid being a hypocrite you must be for the abolition of all guns in the world and that will never happen.

-Because your governments arm themselves with guns it should be every citizen’s right to own them as well. The forefathers of America recognized this right and wrote it into the constitution. The sole purpose of this is to give the citizens a way of defending themselves from a tyrannical government. Read your history regarding tyranny's and rebellions.

-It is also every human beings right to feed and care for their family. A gun is also a tool. A tool just as a fishing rod, bow and arrow, knife, or sticks and stones for the purpose of providing meat for the family dinner table. Now you say that hunting is not necessary, but I would argue that it is a much more humane way of killing an animal than the slaughter houses around the country that provide meat for your hamburger. Just because there is a grocery store around the corner today doesn’t mean it will be there tomorrow. If there were some kind of major break in the food due to war, or natural disaster, would you not feel better that you had the skills necessary to provide for your family? Now based on the OP’s inverted picture he is apparently very young, impressionable, and taking up a cause for his youthful rebellion, I would like to know how the OP would feel to look into the eyes of his Hungary child knowing he did not have the means to feed that child?

-Switzerland requires and provides every citizen of military age a fully automatic weapon. Since you guys seem to like statistics Switzerland per capita murder rate is much less than that of the United States. Do you think that somebody may think twice before breaking into someone’s house with the knowledge that the homeowner may be sitting behind the door with a fully automatic weapon.

- Guns are also very valuable investments that link many important historic events in our history. A gun is a tangible investment that if properly cared for will maintain their value as well as ASSISTING in the protection of their owner.

-Of course criminals will always have weapons whether they be guns or baseball bats or the pen in your pocket. Evil is always evil and until God returns to this earth there will always be those willing to kill for something you have. To the contrary statistically speaking I believe that 99.9% of gun owners are intelligent, successful, caring, responsible community leaders that you would be proud to call your friend. For those that talk down about hunting, most hunters take their sport very seriously and respectfully, all the hunters I know would never allow an animal’s meat to spoil and be wasted.

-Lastly for the OP I again state my position that you are young and impressionable and I urge you to rethink your position until such a point in time where you can actually get out of your nest and learn about this world in which you live.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by photobug]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Guns are to kill. Yes. But they are simply a tool. Knives are to kill also, so are windows 3rd floor and up. WORKs cleaner and tin foil even... drano.. You wanna kill someone, there are lots of ways. But why Guns?

Force rules the world. Most people wish it wasn't that way, but it's just reality. Even if you get every person on the planet to agree and stick too the agreement to never use force, someone is going to have a kid in the next generation that is going to use force.

The only answer to force, is force itself. No one has to listen to anyone if they don't want too, and if they happen to be holding a gun, and they want to control people, you better have a gun to respond with.

Which comes to why many people in the USA like to have guns. In most countries, a monopoly is held by the government in the use of force. Even in the USA, police in most areas feel free to bully people because they are in control of the jails and courts.

When you have a citizen get more "force" then the government, you run into a colombian situation where some drug lord gets to tell the government what to do... but when you have a government totally in control of "force" you end up with an oppressed population. (there are exceptions but none that have stood the test of time)

The USA military, police, of course have much more "force" then the population. But even owning a deer hunting rifle, if worst came to worst, the guy in the tank needs to pee at some point, and with a good shot you now have a tank. You also have to consider how many would refuse the orders to attack their own population.

Guns, in the hands of law abiding populace, is the check and balance to keeping the government law abiding also. A government in full control of all force may last a couple generations, but at some point it only takes one bad apple and what then would stop them?

Most people who use force use it too quickly. And those who think it's never an option just don't understand reality. Force in the hand of someone who's willing, yet reluctant, to use it, makes for a safe world.

Take away the ability of people to use force, and all you're left with is yelling "don't taze me bro" but the guy with the double wires obviously doesn't have to listen.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by photobug

Scenario: 1 Person breaks into a house with no gun (A), the person living there has no gun. (B)

Most of the time a burglar will only rob an empty house, if someone suddenly turns the light on and appears to be there, they’ll usually escape quickly…or, stab the person…..in this case…..a stun gun could have been used instead of having nothing to defend themselves……also a stun gun won’t kill the person…..a handgun, shotgun etc will..

Scenario: 2, Person breaks into a house with a gun, the person living there has no gun.

In this case person B defending themselves with a stun gun would have been more beneficial as well compared to not having anything.

Scenario: 3 Person breaks into a house with a gun, the person living there has a gun.

In this case both persons would shoot at each other, killing either person…..If person B had a stun gun, it would be the same result only person A would be stunned instead of dead…..

Scenario: 4 Person breaks into a house with no gun, the person living there has a gun.

In this case person B would kill person A, but if person B had a stun gun, person A would still be alive and would just be paralyzed for a few minutes……

And so…..a stun gun…..simply solves the defending you home scenario….no need for handguns machine guns shotguns etc.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   

…what's wrong with banning automatic weapons? Say you kept hand guns…..why can’t you ban every other type….?

A single shot weapon is an equalizer - that's all that's needed.

Clearly your not much beyond a teen and you have no clue yet about the world around you. Ah, it must be nice to live in your Disneyland neighborhood that 90% of the planet is not. Maybe when you move away from your Mom & Dad you'll begin to get a clue.

As a couple folks have stated in this thread guns level the playing field and keeps crime in check.

Guns made the world more civilized as they gave the weak amongst us the ability to fight back when enslaved or abused by the stronger forces. Before guns, in the past when those forces did crimes all one could do is cower & accept your fate or run & hide, so it doesn't happen again.

Yes, the caveat is sometimes guns become tools of crime, but here in America we believe they protect us from greater crimes. Just like our automobiles kill many more of us, we accept the bad because we believe in the greater good of freedom of movement that our autos give us.

Most of those who think like you here in America usually equate gun & cars alike and believe only government forces should be allowed to have them. Thus the argument is - with public transportation less of us would die. I say then we wouldn't be as free - would we? They tell you wouldn't you rather have a professional driver with your safety rather than take the risk yourself? I prefer to write my own schedule & choose my own destinations - Thank You.

When governments become greedy corporate criminals, guns will allow us to kill them one at a time one bullet at a time - even though they may have a stronger force behind them - just knowing that keeps them somewhat in check.

I am 74" and 265+ lbs. and If I wanted to I could pretty much take anything I wanted from 99% of most humans roaming the earth with the exception of multiple persons or people more capable than myself (the other 1%).

Though I'm not a raving lunatic out to take whatever I want, if I was a dangerous criminal, a gun would give the 99% of people running around the ability to stop me. Certainly it's easy to understand why cops would benefit using a weapon against criminals with my physical attributes. I'm the guy who will take your weapon away from you if you have one - so you better shoot before I get close or not have one.

While most women do not choose to carry weapons they have to be more aware and careful where they go, but in America at home they have the added comfort of being able to have a weapon - just in case of a break in by one or more potential criminals. Especially, since many places in America are far away from cities and they don't have police 5 minutes away.

While maybe someday when we can trust everyone and rid the world of greed, jealously & religion we could rid our world of guns, but at this point we know we are not civilized enough yet for a zero gun world.

As others have pointed out we know how they work - you cannot take them away completely. All you need is a ballpoint pen wrapped in duct tape with an explosive and a projectile and bam you have a single shot weapon. Not rocket science.

You have every right to your dream of no guns, but if you really think about what many have wrote here soon, you will realize that for the moment your dream is deluded.

Bottom line. Guns make us all equal, because we all realize that if we step over the line anyone who has one can kill us for doing so. Yep, some step over the line with gun in hand, but 99% of us don't & we trust ourselves to protect ourselves.

Having prisons keep some in line knowing they may go there if caught - eventually. If the store owner has a camera the criminal knows they might be identified & sent to prison. If the store owner has a gun the criminal knows they can't steal there or they might be killed - thus the crime never happens.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

You've made some good points.....but have yet to really address why the public can benefit from machineguns and shotguns etc, compared to a standard handgun......If police in Australia can handle what they do everyday with only a handgun, I don't see why police can’t do the same in other countries like yours........or even the general public defending their homes with handguns……

I mean jeez….you’ve got kids and adults walking around in the middle east with AKA’s in the streets like it’s a bloody fashion……

Honestly do you think Americans have the right to carry guns in public areas..? Or is there a law stating you may only possess them in homes….

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Another primitive illogical thing for some reason I can’t comprehend people do…..local shops have food, people going around for the fun of it hunting animals for sport is sick…..I wonder if these sort of people get pleasure out of killing an animal that can't defend itself against a gun.....

You're telling me you can't kill a deer with a hand gun.....the only reason shotguns and such are used is because they are more effective, but that's hardly means you still can't easily kill a bear or a shark or any other animal with a handgun.....lol

There's a large difference between hunting for sport, and hunting for food. if the only reason you pull the trigger is because the animal will look nice on your wall, then yeah, I agree that's primitive and absurd. Maybe if you restle it to the ground and knife it, that could at least be considered sporting.

But when it comes to food? There are a few guarantees.

1) I know where my meat is coming from, and how old it is, and what conditions it was prepared and butchered under. I know it is not gassed, dyed, or broth-injected. I know it was never dropped on the cutting house floor, and that no schmuck ever forgot to wash their hands after a seven-taco bathroom break before handling it.

2) I know the conditions the animal lived in prior to it being on my plate. Presumably a deer managed to life what can be considered a fulfilling life for a deer before I shot it and brought it home. The same can certainly not be said of factory-produced meats. Ever been to a battery farm? A slaughterhouse? if you want to talk about humane treatment, hunting is more humane than any of the ways that cow or pig got on your plate. A hunter wants a clean kill - if the kill isn't clean, not only does the animal suffers, but it stands a good chance of getting away and dying somewhere inaccessible for the hunter

3) It's cheap. Get the license, buy the bullets, and look for a deer that looks meaty, and you have a few months worth of meat. Combined with the two previous aspects, subsistence hunting is generally preferable to store-bought meat. It's healthier for you, the animal, and your pocketbook.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join