It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns, what good are they....?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I'm interested in what you have to say about the columbine movie...

Kids and teenagers going to schools with guns shooting up the place....hell, there was even one recently......forget the name of the person...but the basic premise is that these kids are able to poses guns so easily...and then do something stupid like the columbine incident.....and normally you could just say those school shooting are very rare.....but the sad thing about that is its bloody not......it's happening so damn often...

[edit on 29-1-2008 by andre18]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It is illegal in the U.S. for a minor under the age of 18 to own or posses without adult supervision any firearm wether it be a handgun, rifle or shotgun.

Therefore the school shooters were criminals even before they pulled a trigger.

Hmm, criminals able to illegaly obtain firearms to continue perpetrating criminal activities.

Wow, if we had a gun ban those pesky criminals sure wouldn't be able to get their hands on guns!

Oh, by the way, do you actually read any replies or do you simply continue to blather away? If its the latter I'll move on to another thread.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by andre18

you would also see a drastic uptick in crime rates involving knives, bats,

Yeah, there actually is a lot of that kind of stuff in Australia, gangs going around with knives and bats and stuff......but can you honestly tell me you'd rather guns in the hands of gangs then bats and knives.....?

For one......you get shot, you're basically dead.....you get stabbed, a few weeks in hospital should heal you up, a bat causes a few broken bones and a few months in hospital.....but that's better then death...is it not.....?

You’re far more likely to die from a gun, then you are from a knife or bat...

Assuming the attacker is untrained with a knife yes, but get someone who knows what theyre doing and you will be dead/dying in seconds. If not, youll certainly wish you were.

Banning guns has never solved a single problem related to crime, the only thing it does is penalize law abiding people.

link   
I can understand what the OP is saying and I personally don't have the need to own a gun. Guns to me are manufactured with the sole intent to kill, unlike a pen but you could still kill somebody with a pen. Anyway, I've been in countless arguments about this topic.

If the government is allowed to have them, then so should the people. However, I will never buy/use one myself.

link   

I'm interested in what you have to say about the columbine movie...

Well they were also making pipe bombs in their garage for a very long time too. I would say WTF over, that whole situation of the parents not involved and those kids doing basically whatever they wanted when they wanted, I’m not surprised it happened. I guess the anti-gun laws of those under 18 didn't help much.

BTW I do not watch old fatass' movies.

My kids do not take even a BB gun out without my supervision.

I would say it is a rare event.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

My point is that these youths are able to poses guns because they are legal, just as easily as criminals are, but it becomes so much harder for them if guns are banned to acquire them if they aren’t able to just pay some adult to go into a shop and order it for them or something……fake licence etc…….

Or for example some teenagers who knew you personally who knew you had guns may brake into your house when you’re not around and take those guns to the nearest shop or school and do what ever…..but without the average American home possessing some type of gun, it becomes a hell of a lot harder for those youths to obtain one….

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Fake license? Hahaha cmon, now youre just reaching for an argument.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Or for example some teenagers who knew you personally who knew you had guns may brake into your house when you’re not around and take those guns to the nearest shop or school and do what ever…..but without the average American home possessing some type of gun, it becomes a hell of a lot harder for those youths to obtain one….

Yet if the homeowner is home while the retards are trying to break in, said homeowner can end their crime spree and their life.

Mission accomplished.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

My point is that these youths are able to poses guns because they are legal, just as easily as criminals are, but it becomes so much harder for them if guns are banned to acquire them if they aren’t able to just pay some adult to go into a shop and order it for them or something……fake licence etc…….

That's true, but would that stop viloence or just replace it with something else?

Case in point, all weapons were banned in Ireland by England and so the Irish made deadly walking sticks called shillelaghs.

Cars kill 60,000 every year in America..another deadly weapon that needs banning.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

You know what I mean…..if I was an American citizen, I could simply ask an adult friend of mine to order a gun for me, whether it be a handgun, or an automatic…
I wouldn’t be able to poses guns so easily if guns were illegal now would I…?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

reply to post by slackerwire

You know what I mean…..if I was an American citizen, I could simply ask an adult friend of mine to order a gun for me, whether it be a handgun, or an automatic…
I wouldn’t be able to poses guns so easily if guns were illegal now would I…?

First, you simply cant buy anything full auto and walk out of a gun store with it.

Secondly, your friend would be breaking a law, so why blame the guns and not the criminal?

You are placing blame on an inanimate object instead of blaming the real culprit, the criminal.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Sorry to tell you, but all guns are not made for killing. There are target guns that are made for nothing but competition shooting. I have shotguns that I use for nothing but shooting clay pigeons. It is lots of fun and I have no intention of shooting anyone with them. I have pistols and rifles for that

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
A very wise man, and an American one at that, once said:

"It is much better to own a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have one".

That pretty much answers your question I would think, or were you really just on an America-bashing mission as you have exhibited in so many of your comments?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Another wise person once said:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who did not. Anonymous

Translated into modernity:
Those who give up their guns will end up slaves to those who did not. Voxel

The next time you meet a politician you find to be absolutely distasteful ask yourself, "Should that kind of person be the only ones legally able to use deadly force to protect what is his, what he believes in, and what he considers his way-of-life?"

Because what we are talking about is what happens when the politicians ideology or way-of-life begins to differ significantly from your own? What do you do when they use their power to enforce their views of you onto you? What do you do then?

Jon

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

i'm a liberal... and i have several firearms, and the reason is..i'm first an american and i stand for liberty and freedom.. you know the constitution...and i'll be damn if i see any attempt of a facist take-over in this country...you rednecks in idaho and other states better think that there are other good americans that are ...yes!!!!!!.... LIBERAL!!!.... that want the same type of freedom you want, and i am one of them. what ...,you think you have some kind of right to be the only TRUE american?.... eat my shorts is all i have to say

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

First, you simply cant buy anything full auto and walk out of a gun store with it.

But you can buy a gun....and that's the main point.....a hand gun or what ever.......

Secondly, your friend would be breaking a law, so why blame the guns and not the criminal?

Because there'll always be criminals, but at least it would be beneficial enough for the public, if criminals had less access to such deadly weapons.....

You are placing blame on an inanimate object instead of blaming the real culprit, the criminal.

A weapons is a weapon.......it's like saying there's nothing wrong with nuclear weapons as long as no one uses them.......the weapon itself is still dangerous....and in a society were a world piece can hopefully one day be accomplished........weapons such as these are no way, the right way to go about it....

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Taking away people's guns is one of the most obvious signs that your country is losing it's freedom. And by the time your calling it "The Homeland" it is already too late, and now you actually need your gun.

Remember the "well organized and trained militia" part of the constitution?

That actually means the whole of the citizenry who are capable of bearing arms
(males ages 17-54). There is also a reason the second amendment is THE ACTUAL SECOND amendment as they are listed in order of importance.

The purpose of the second amendment is to protect the rest of The Constitution.
Especially the all important first amendment.

God Given Inalienable Human Rights....

Remember, America is not a democracy, it is a REPUBLIC

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Yeah, there actually is a lot of that kind of stuff in Australia, gangs going around with knives and bats and stuff......but can you honestly tell me you'd rather guns in the hands of gangs then bats and knives.....?

You seem locked into the perspective of the criminal. Say there is a group of idiots going around trying to rob people with their knives, bats and guns.

Horrible, right?

Now picture that same group of idiots walking into Kennesaw, GA trying that crap where by law every household must have a firearm. They'd make it 5 steps into town before every resident in sight noticed they were just a gang of punks and they'd be put down. Sure, there may be some return fire but that one instance of a town turning on a gang would prove quite the deterrent to any other gang looking for a target. They'd head up to New York City or even here in New Haven where nobody has guns. There they're free to run wild.

I understand that going from the position of a gun-ban to one of ownership requires a significant amount of adjustment. There will be thugs who don't get that the population can now arm itself and this will result in the exchanging of some gun fire and there will be portions of the population that will refuse to arm itself but once gun ownership is again normalized crime would all but disappear. Normalization is key to the responsible use of firearms. They're not magic, they're tools of power or destruction or imposition. They just are and that's all they are.

They let the wheelchair bound man defend himself:Man in Wheelchair Shoots Attacker

They allow the elderly to defend themselves:Robber Shot By 85 YO

They do what restraining orders can't:Man not stopped by restraining order stopped by gun

This is life. Every second of everyday somebody is robbed, raped and killed and every second of everyday somebody is saved from this with a gun.

Self-Defense Clock

Harvard Journal of Law - More Guns, Less Crime

I don't care if you don't like guns. It makes absolutely no difference to me. I don't care if a cop kicks in your door to serve a warrant at the wrong address and I don't care if a cop rapes somebody in your family during a traffic stop. I don't care if thugs with bats beat your grandmother to death for some jewelry and a 20 dollar bill. I don't care if you get beaten or shot to death walking home from work at night for your wallet. I don't care if you eventually decide to arm yourself or not.

When I start caring is when people with their own ideas of how everyone else needs to live their lives, especially people across the damn globe, feel the need to impose their will on others. Mind your own lawn and keep of my grass. Why is that so damn hard?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by doctormcauley

The amusing thing about all this is, I’m not the only one attacking your amendments…..the UN is……………..so unless you wont to go head to head with the UN, I suggest you give up your death weapons…..

[edit on 30-1-2008 by andre18]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

reply to post by doctormcauley

The amusing thing about all this is, I’m not the only one attacking your amendments…..the UN is……………..so unless you wont to go head to head with the UN, I suggest you give up your death weapons…..

[edit on 30-1-2008 by andre18]

Reason number 34,546,765,123 to arm every American to the teeth.

I would never pull a firearm on anyone unless my life or the life of a bystander was in jeopardy but if I saw those blue helmets marching down the street I wouldn't hesitate to fire. That blue with the U.N. logo is just like the Nazi gray and black with the Deaths Head pin.

Do I have to post link after link of AP stories about peacekeepers raping children and stealing supplies?

We can't pull out of the U.N. fast enough. Withholding funding has been fun and all but I want us out.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join