It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns, what good are they....?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The main reason it is important for citizens to have the right to own guns, is to keep the government from becoming too powerful. Remember, the right to bear arms was not for hunting, it was for protection against the government. When it becomes illegal for citizens to own guns, it becomes that much easier for the government to turn the country into a dictatorial police state.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Looking at a pro-handgun ban site, it appears that the statistics support banning them. For every 100,000 deaths in the US, it appears we are 4/100,000 whereas Japan is .02/100,000.

Does that not support what I'm saying...I mean...jeez, look at Japan compared to America......I think someone just got owned....

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Guns are good for a multiple number of reasons, but on those disarmed nations such as Australia and England, the people have become so willing to bend over and grease up for the nanny state that they simply cannot comprehend the need for a firearm.

We here in America enjoy our freedom, and recognize the only way to keep it is to have a means of overthrowing our government should it ever become tyrannical (which it is coming dangerously close to).

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by andre18

Looking at a pro-handgun ban site, it appears that the statistics support banning them. For every 100,000 deaths in the US, it appears we are 4/100,000 whereas Japan is .02/100,000.

Does that not support what I'm saying...I mean...jeez, look at Japan compared to America......I think someone just got owned....

Guns are not the problem, people are.

A gun has never killed anyone on its own.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

i dont see people as the "enemy" i just know that people have what we call a killer instinct,it's natural for everyone and the "good" natured people are far out numbered.

so say or think what you wish.. as long as there is man... there will be guns... and i will own one or a few till im in the dirt.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Guns are not the problem, people are.

A gun has never killed anyone on its own.

Does that not mean Americans are the problem...?

I guess it's something to do with education...huh

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

you said it!!..without guns... america would never exist as it is today.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

No, it just has to do with the fact that we are badasses who kill each other like its goin out of style.

If we are willing to do that to ourselves, imagine what we could do to other nations.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

reply to post by fritz

Yep.....people kill people......but if you take away the guns....it just becomes that little but harder.....You can’t have a war between countries without guns, without missiles, without weapons…..you take away the most lethal arms and the world’s a happier and safer place…

To be honest.. i would rather be SHOT that go to war and be STABBED ... Fire-Arms make everything easier... Hunting, War, Crime prevention, and yes even crime.

Honestly... say person A and B want to kill some people.. they get guns and start shooting randomly causing Deaths, but not many... now take person A and B and give them Swords, and tell them to go... they would do alot more damage...

Guns dont kill peopel... people kill people... if there is a way to kill people certain people will find that way... It not exactly hard.. weve been doing it for a long time with everything from Rocks to Missiles....

Would you rather a war with swords or a war with guns (think about the soldiers.. I'm going to BCT this summer for the U.S. Army... and in my honest opinion I would rather be shot than stabbed...)

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Is anyone forgetting that if guns were banned there’d be less crime related to guns……is that not a good thing…?

Another thing which almost made me laugh is cars kill more people so we should ban them as well……………..and you’re telling me, I’m uneducated……….

Guns are literality designed to kill……cars are not…..do people not see the difference or something….WTF………someone might say “well cars aren’t designed to kill people and yet they still manage to kill more people then guns do per year” or some other BS like that……logically that’s because more people have cars……if as many people had guns like they did cars……..wow…..well yeah, then you can imagine the crime rate, the gun related death rate….

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

100% wrong. Guns are made with one objective in mind: Firing a projectile.

It is the human who determines where that projectile goes.

If guns were banned, you WOULD see a reduction in gun crime rates, but you would also see a drastic uptick in crime rates involving knives, bats, etc etc.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by slackerwire]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Heck I think that it has EVERYTHING to do with our right to keep and bear arms. You betcha we Americans get to own guns to protect ourselves. That is the point of owning a firearm legally. If we weren't able to own guns legally the only people that would have them would be criminals.

Heck I think they should allow me to have a few ICBMs for defense.
but hey I can see your point but if you take away all the guns Americans are legally allowed to own it stops the main deterant and defense that this country has against an armed invasion.

The point of a well armed public is not the fact that guns are designed to kill people. It is to let the world know to not invade this country because every single American household has the potential to be armed.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

you would also see a drastic uptick in crime rates involving knives, bats,

Yeah, there actually is a lot of that kind of stuff in Australia, gangs going around with knives and bats and stuff......but can you honestly tell me you'd rather guns in the hands of gangs then bats and knives.....?

For one......you get shot, you're basically dead.....you get stabbed, a few weeks in hospital should heal you up, a bat causes a few broken bones and a few months in hospital.....but that's better then death...is it not.....?

You’re far more likely to die from a gun, then you are from a knife or bat...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

The point of a well armed public is not the fact that guns are designed to kill people. It is to let the world know to not invade this country because every single American household has the potential to be armed.

That's exactly one of my main points......thinking some country is going to invade you....LOLOLOLOL.......such mentality.....

Firstly....nooooooo boodyy, is going to try or even want to invade America, nor is any other country trying to invade any other......except for the Israelis…but that’s got to do with religion…….because they think god gave them their own bloody land...... if that's not racism I don't know what is.....

But when it comes to politics and law and order...there's not a single county that's interested in invasion....no wait...I’m wrong again....which country is in Iraq….. taking control.....and you have the audacity to think you are going to be invaded when you're the bloody ones invading Iraq....LOLOLOL

[edit on 29-1-2008 by andre18]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

What is it with people and wanting guns…?

Well many hunt, and that is a very big sport here in America. When I say big I mean BIG! I'm not sure how much hunting you guys do down under, but I have friends that setup their life based on the different hunting seasons.

Is it to defend your home….?
To defend yourselves….?

Why not? What else can you use that would make a 120 pound woman equal to a 260 pound man?

Why have car, house, health or life insurance? You have all these for the one day that the # hits the fan. Well a gun is also for when the # hits the fan too.

So..…is there some kind of scare in America where everyone’s in a panic…right outside your door is the enemy..? That everyone is out to get you…I mean…. this is ridiculous…..

Not really, go to a gun show and everyone is happy and friendly. Guns are also sport here for I shoot skeet, and I do combat pistol competition. I have one gun (glock .40) that is my insurance protection.

or it just the overwhelming desire to have one, to own one…..?

Well it is also our history and deeply embedded into our culture.

Or is this something to do with 9/11……

Nothing to do with 9/11.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It killed my reply when I went to review the thread ... I'm not typing all that again.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by Coshy]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
One other point I think the OP is confused about ... We, as Americans, are not worried about some other country invading us, thats why we have our military, not why we have and for the most part defend the right to keep and bear.

The Second Ammendment of our Constitution was placed there to guard against our own government. Sort of like saying "Hey Mr. President, don't get too cocky, because there are a bunch of loyal Americans who are not going to put up with your nonsense longer than 8 years."

Edit: I R TEH GUD SPEELER!

[edit on 29-1-2008 by Coshy]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Yep.....people kill people......but if you take away the guns....it just becomes that little but harder.....You can’t have a war between countries without guns, without missiles, without weapons…..you take away the most lethal arms and the world’s a happier and safer place…

So then do we take away all knives over 4 inches and then hammers etc? At what point to we put everyone in a bubble? The problem is honest people will be the only ones to follow laws and so the dishonest person will still have guns. This is also not an American only thing. I go to many countries and people walk around with AK-47s. The US is number 24 country in the world for murders per capital, and number 8 with firearms. But it is also interesting that America is number 2 just below Sweden as the county people feel the safest in walking in the dark.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Consider that in this world there are evil people who would not at all hesitate to kill, steal, rape, maim, torture, and destroy property. The good people need some sort of defense. What about the law, then? The law can't be everywhere, and it is sometimes corrupt, racist, etc.

Also consider the term "human equalizer" as applied to early handguns. Gun-grabbers see nothing wrong with some 7'8" 380 pound roid-mutant (and his gang followers) smashing his way into 95-pound Granny's house, raping her to death, snapping her in two for good measure - all with bare hands. Gun-grabbers do see something wrong with Granny saving her own life with a gun, even if said gun was never fired.

Guns do not discriminate between heights, weights, body types, ages, or health conditions. Nor race for that matter, despite the leftoid screechings of "racism". They are equally deadly to anyone, and are so easy to use compared to traditional weapons. A medieval archer had to practice archery all his life to be any good at it.

That's why there's a need for private gun ownership.
Maybe gun-grabbers want a world run like a prison, or junior high school; but some of us prefer civilization.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Just a note on Australias gun ban:

Since the ban, firearm related homicide has remained stable at between 14% and 17%. Knife related homicide has been stable at about 32%, physical force related homicide has been at about 23%, blunt instrument homicide has been about 12% and homicides from other causes has been about 15%.

Australia has been in a declining trend in firearm related homicide since 1969 (44%) to 2005 (15%), thus proving the firearm ban has done absolutely nothing to reduce choosing firearms as a method of homicide. All it has accomplished is fooling the Australian people to believing their elected officials have done something.

Statistics availiable at the site I linked on page 1.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join