It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese snow storms strand 200,000 at single rail station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Chinese snow storms strand 200,000 at station in new year exodus

Officials struggled to control an estimated 200,000 travellers at the station — a number expected to swell to 600,000 over the next couple of days. Temporary shelter was being arranged for the migrant workers in schools and conventions centres. Soldiers were deployed to stand guard around the station and police barked orders through bullhorns to try to maintain order.

The freakish weather has already affected 67 million people and economic losses so far have been placed at 18.2 billion yuan (£1.3 billion)...

In a sign of official anxiety that the travel chaos could trigger social unrest, Premier Wen Jiabao ordered local officials to mobilise all possible resource to ensure people get home. He said: “More heavy snow is expected. All government departments must prepare for this increasingly grim situation and urgently take action.”

More...

Impressive...and very scary.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
...this is related to the Chinese New Year too, which is on Feb. 7th.; also, it's the worst storm there in 50 years, but the OP doesn't include weather amounts/snow totals... from the OP:

Chinese New Year sees the biggest human migration on earth, with an estimated 2.47 billion journeys over the holiday season this year — almost double the entire population of 1.3 billion.

In a sign of official anxiety that the travel chaos could trigger social unrest, Premier Wen Jiabao ordered local officials to mobilise all possible resource to ensure people get home. He said: “More heavy snow is expected. All government departments must prepare for this increasingly grim situation and urgently take action.”

[edit on 28-1-2008 by anhinga]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This system is bad. Here is a photo I found on cnn.com about the story. You can see the snow all over and in the background you see it on palm trees. That should give you an idea of how serious this is.

attachments.climatepatrol.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
There is just something very odd going on around the planet right now. Here in Indianapolis where I live we went from 55 degrees to snow in 1hr 10min. The temperature dropped 35 degrees in 2hr 30min. But St. Louis has that beat. In 9 hours they went from 70 degrees (11:51am) to 16 degrees just short of 9pm. It isn't just the cold air but the 40 to 50mph winds on top of that sending wind chills below zero. What an amazing turnaround in a matter of hours.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
There is just something very odd going on around the planet right now. Here in Indianapolis where I live we went from 55 degrees to snow in 1hr 10min. The temperature dropped 35 degrees in 2hr 30min. But St. Louis has that beat. In 9 hours they went from 70 degrees (11:51am) to 16 degrees just short of 9pm. It isn't just the cold air but the 40 to 50mph winds on top of that sending wind chills below zero. What an amazing turnaround in a matter of hours.

I think something wierd happened too... In minnesota we went from 45F (felt like summer for January in MN) to -10F w/ a -40F windchill (Let me re-iterate: Cold and windy) in less than 36 hours.
who knows, maybe it's TU24 related.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by aaaauroraaaaa]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
No .. it's the Gulf Stream ... a huge cold water mass has stalled the thermocline flow of the Atlantic

Current Gulf Strem

More here:

Climate Patrol

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Page two of the climate patrol thread is more interesting than the first page. If only they knew about HAARP. Or TU24. Not sure which yet lol

Millions of people are going to freeze to death in the next week because the Chinese power plants are out of coal. Over ninety (90) power plants are already shutdown because there are no trains resupplying them.

I'm really wondering myself about the total lack of news or weather coverage of whats going on ... here or around the world.

I hate to start yelling conspiracy, but is it possible the government is controlling ALL of the western media?? It just doesn't seem possible ... and yet ... the size of the disaster in China alone points to a cover up of incredible proportions.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy

We had the same bizarre change. This morning at about 7:20 I left the house to a wonderful 50 something degrees (probably high 50's actually) with a real stout, but constant wind from the southwest. Approximately 1 hour later the wind swung out of the north, the temperature dropped drastically and the gusts were so substantial that we had the side door screen ripped off it's hinges and temporary door (FACING NORTH! SO HOW THE HECK DID THIS HAPPEN!) ripped off it's hinges.

The wind was just ferocious after the abrupt change.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
there was a huge artic front and the stream of wind that moves thru that changed and moved for a while causing alot of problems for many,

Let em say climate change isnt real now. This is the same way we would reterraform a planet. Only ours was fine. Now we get to see what happens. Becuase our planet isnt gonna just sit on its rear and watch.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't think the issue is climate change which is all around and always happening. The thing that most doubt is that man is somehow evil and responsible. But the climate always changes. We have to learn to change with it.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The weather here (Hong Kong) is quite usual for this time of year, but China is suffering, which serves them right in a way, they spend billions on the olympics and sticking a bloke in space and leave the environment to rot somewhere at the back of some idiots office draw.

They've been showing lots of pics from the train stations in China. Captain Cockup is doing a lovely job getting things moving!!

I saw a lovely pic in the paper this morning of a coach with no roof, it had gone off a flyover because of all the ice. 25 dead. Human life is cheap in China.

MonKey

new topics

top topics

join