It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vt. town to vote on Bush arrest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Vt. town to vote on Bush arrest

www.upi.com

BRATTLEBORO, Vt., Jan. 28 (UPI) -- Officials in Brattleboro, Vt., have decided to allow residents to vote at a town meeting on whether to indict U.S. President Bush for war crimes...The Brattleboro Select Board voted 3-2 to put the measure, which would allow for the indictment and arrest of President George Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney for war crimes, perjury or obstruction of justice charges if they ever visit Vermont, on the Town Meeting Day warning, the Rutland (Vt.) Herald reported Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Here's an idea. I have never heard of this before, but I am wondering why more towns are not doing this. Sounds like a great plan to me. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? One more thing, why has Bush not visited Vermont since he has been in office?

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/28/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
W00t! pwnt!!! lol

We should do that where I live too!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyorai

I think if enough people heard about this story and realized that this is an option, towns would do it. At least, if nothing else, to have your voice heard by your local government. If it got started, who knows how big it could get. Maybe this is the type of thing we need to get the ball rolling.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
LOL, that's hilarious. It's also one of the stupidest things I've read in a long time. In order to convict on a perjury charge, they're going to have to prove that he KNOWINGLY provided false testimony. Since there are loads of documents, from not only our intelligence agency but others around the world as well, that confirm what he said, this will never happen.

You people need to start looking to the future instead of wasting your time attempting to pin false charges on a man that's on the way out of office. It sure appears from my viewpoint that either hatred or political viewpoint is overwhelming intellect and it's pretty sad.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Go Vermont!
As it stands now, I can't get this tune out of my head as it's so appropriate.

"I'm ashamed to be American.
Government corruption and decay.
And I won't forget the dogs who lied
Took the Bill of Rights from me."

Let's get our dignity back! Go Vermont!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Hey, it says something for the little people in a way. At least people are attempting to exercise their rights. We all know that chances are this amounts to nothing, but still, a neat idea nonetheless. But on your other point, just because he is leaving office we should leave him alone and just dismiss all the BS he has put us through? That, my friend, is not intellectual IMO. Why should he be allowed to just get away with all of his blunders? And the future you say? How can we look forward to the future when we are so screwed up from the past. you make it seem like whoever is next in office is just going to make everything disappear with their magic wand. I, personally, feel very bad for the next candidate who is appointed as President. That's right, I said appointed, and not by the people of the U.S.

[edit on 1/28/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
Hey, it says something for the little people in a way.

It sure does; it just screams "we don't know anything, and we're damned proud of it!"

That this is happening doesn't surprise me in the least - especially coming from Vermont.

What will this ultimately do? Marginalize Vermont even more than it's already marginalized itself. It will hold the residents of Vermont out as people ignorant of the law, ignorant of history, generally not very bright when it comes to the U.S. Code.

At least people are attempting to exercise their rights. We all know that chances are this amounts to nothing, but still, a neat idea nonetheless. But on your other point, just because he is leaving office we should leave him alone and just dismiss all the BS he has put us through? That, my friend, is not intellectual IMO.

Naah. The lack of intellect comes from not recognizing what President Bush has done for us, for the world, and how much better we are now than we were when Clinton allowed terrorists to attack us at will.

Why should he be allowed to just get away with all of his blunders?

You're getting away with this thread, aren't you?

And the future you say? How can we look forward to the future when we are so screwed up from the past. you make it seem like whoever is next in office is just going to make everything disappear with their magic wand.

That'd be a neat trick. It'd be interesting to see something like that happen. Never seen 'everything' disappear before.

I, personally, feel very bad for the next candidate who is appointed as President. That's right, I said appointed, and not by the people of the U.S.

How presidents in this republic are elected is easily researched online. Much like I recommended to Al Gore, I suggest that you, too go click on Google.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Jurisdiction and jurisprudence be damned...

A rather sophomoric attempt at making a statement... Too bad the local constabulary would not have a legal statute within their purview to actually pursue an arrest. Last I checked "war crimes" were not on the books of city, municipality, county, or state legal codes. This exercise in "civics" is in the same vein as an internet "romance" with Jessica Alba... While a nocturnal emission is almost a certainty, any real world consequence (or date with Jessica) is infinitely remote.

Both endeavours would be best left to the "experts;" that would be your typical 15 year old with an abundance of time and a "flexible" perception of "success."

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mmmeat

Naah. The lack of intellect comes from not recognizing what President Bush has done for us, for the world, and how much better we are now than we were when Clinton allowed terrorists to attack us at will.

What country are you living in my friend? Obviously not in the US. First off, I cannot take head to anything someone who just joined hear and has the negative number you have says. You must love thread killing. Or are just really bored and have nothing of interest to say. Name some things that makes us soooooooo much better off now than we were. I never said Clinton was great, but I sure as hell can say that Bush was not.
There is a big difference between a thread and mishandling economic issues, military issues, foreign relations....the list goes on and on.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

You are probably right that nothing will come of this in the long run just as I'm sure Kucinich's effort at impeachment will amount to nill.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Hey, it says something for the little people in a way. At least people are attempting to exercise their rights.

No, it's nothing more than a political statement and I think you know that. This amounts to nothing more than a waste of time and taxpayer money.

But on your other point, just because he is leaving office we should leave him alone and just dismiss all the BS he has put us through? That, my friend, is not intellectual IMO.

This is the direct result of letting your anger overrule your intellect. President Bush is not the begin all and end all of government in this country. Congress is every bit as much to blame for the things you're unhappy with, yet you choose to place your blame on the object of your hatred. Yes, despite whatever crazy ideas you have about his motives, pursuing impeachment at this point would accomplish nothing. It won't get us out of Iraq. It won't stop our enemies from attacking. What it WILL do is flush millions of taxpayer dollars down the toilet. You and I both know that even if impeachment happened, he would not be found guilty.

How can we look forward to the future when we are so screwed up from the past.

Wow! Good luck with that. I've heard of pessimism, but your argument here seems to be that there is no hope...and I stronly disagree with that opinion.

That's right, I said appointed, and not by the people of the U.S.

Yep, here we go with the stolen elections again...or is it the NWO?? Sorry, I don't buy it so this statement amounts to no more than you going "nyaa nyaa nyaa" to me.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

No, it's nothing more than a political statement and I think you know that. This amounts to nothing more than a waste of time and taxpayer money.

Why is it people always resort to saying it is a waste of taxpayer money. If that was the case, we are wasting our money with every effort we try to put forth.

This is the direct result of letting your anger overrule your intellect. President Bush is not the begin all and end all of government in this country. Congress is every bit as much to blame for the things you're unhappy with, yet you choose to place your blame on the object of your hatred.

of course Congress is as much to blame. there is no arguing with that. But, I am sorry, in the end, the President is the one who has to do what is best for our country, and IMO, GW has not done that. I vote on a local level for senators, and you know what, I get just as angry with them when things go south. This thread is about Bush/Cheney not senators. If you start one on how Congress is the reason for our fall, I would gladly add to it.

Wow! Good luck with that. I've heard of pessimism, but your argument here seems to be that there is no hope...and I stronly disagree with that opinion.

That is your choice, I just call it like I see it. Believe me, I hope I am completely wrong and everything does work out for all of us.

Yep, here we go with the stolen elections again...or is it the NWO?? Sorry, I don't buy it so this statement amounts to no more than you going "nyaa nyaa nyaa" to me.

Not at all. If you do not see that there is an outside influence, whatever you want to call it, I hope you will eventually have your eyes opened.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I am applauding them all the way. At least they have way bigger cajones than our spineless coward congress. It may take the general population to step up en-masse like this to change this disgusting bipartisan snubbing of the US people. All of these politicians are so far out of touch with the average american whom they are supposed to be working for, that its jaw-dropping. They act like the people they're supposed to represent mean absolutely nothing. Maybe if enough people have the guts like these people have to step up, it will get the message across. We're all sick of business as usual.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
What a productive town council. Instead of, you know, actually spending their time on improving the services for their town and making local government more efficient - they decide to start a political circus. Because its so much easier to play political shenanigans than actually focus on fixing things within the purview of government.

This has nothing to do with having the "guts" to do it - this takes no guts at all. Exactly what type of fortitude is required to put on a political show when everyone knows it has no impact and does nothing? I think it takes REAL fortitude to actually do the business of local government. Like, you know, giving me higher quality services for my property tax dollar. I'm almost certain when I voted in the local elections "start political circus directed at national politics we have no control over" was not on anyone's agenda, and if it was I'd vote for someone more sane.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

How about the "long arm" of the law???

I think it could be done.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

Surely it depends on the town.

If they vote in favour of it, the residents agree with it, who is it for you to say they are wasting their tax money? Local tax...local Government...local residents...

Also how long does said vote take? 5 minutes?

So much time and effort wasted...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
LOL, that's hilarious. It's also one of the stupidest things I've read in a long time. In order to convict on a perjury charge, they're going to have to prove that he KNOWINGLY provided false testimony. Since there are loads of documents, from not only our intelligence agency but others around the world as well, that confirm what he said, this will never happen.

You people need to start looking to the future instead of wasting your time attempting to pin false charges on a man that's on the way out of office. It sure appears from my viewpoint that either hatred or political viewpoint is overwhelming intellect and it's pretty sad.

If we don't hold those accountable for their crimes, then we HAVE NO FUTURE.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightinDarkness
What a productive town council. Instead of, you know, actually spending their time on improving the services for their town and making local government more efficient - they decide to start a political circus. Because its so much easier to play political shenanigans than actually focus on fixing things within the purview of government.

This has nothing to do with having the "guts" to do it - this takes no guts at all. Exactly what type of fortitude is required to put on a political show when everyone knows it has no impact and does nothing? I think it takes REAL fortitude to actually do the business of local government. Like, you know, giving me higher quality services for my property tax dollar. I'm almost certain when I voted in the local elections "start political circus directed at national politics we have no control over" was not on anyone's agenda, and if it was I'd vote for someone more sane.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

This is EXACTLY the place to vent the frustrations of townspeople. Remember this is the people doing this, having a town meeting. Unless you are against people voicing their opinion on the matter?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Sorry, I don't fall for such things. I worked enough in local government to spot when city council members are exploiting the city to get to greater political goals. This would be one of those times. There are REAL issues to address in local governments, and staging a political circus is not one of them.

If people simply wanted to "voice their opinion" they can do so without the wasting of tax money. Perhaps you didn't read the article the town will be holding a town hall meeting to decide this. This isn't cheap. It costs staff resources, and time. Time that could be spent..I don't know...improving my local government services. The things they are elected for.

People can vent their frustrations anywhere they want. There is no need to hold a government sanctioned event replete with staffers and the city council in the center ring of the political circus. It is NOT the place of the LOCAL GOVERNMENT to get involved in national politics when they have no purview and could be spending their time doing their job: running the town.

If the city council wants to stage a political stunt, don't do it on the tax payers dime. Do it on your own time. Rent a meeting hall with your own money. Get staff who want to volunteer their time. Don't abuse the money given to you by tax payers to gain political capital.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join