It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harnessing the Methane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I am not a scientist and I do not think I know a lot about chemistry.
However, ever since I was around 12 I've been wondering if landfills can be a source of energy. Landfills release a large amount of methane gas into the air. From chemistry class I've learned that methan is very combustable, you all know where I'm going with this. Can methane from landfills be extracted and burned as a source of fuel? Maybe there are different ways to contain it and use it more efficiently.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Look up a city in Brasil named Curitiba. They are a World Model according to the UN on how to run a city. Among many other progressive ideas, they use garbage to produce methane and then run city vehicles on it.

Some rural farms in India collect cow manure and turn it into a water based slurry which they put into a sealed tank. The methane produced is used to fuel the home cook stove and the left over slurry is returned to the field as fertilizer.

MBF

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There are places that use methane directly from the dump just by burying pipes in the garbage, but there are other ways of extracting the methane and other combustibles.

St. Lucie county, Florida

join