It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover "Internal Cell Clocks" that determine a persons nocturnal / diurnal activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Scientists discover "Internal Cell Clocks" that determine a persons nocturnal / diurnal activity

news.bbc.co.uk

Scientists have found that each cell of the body has an internal "clock", which can be affected by various genes.

Research in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences shows that skin cells can be used to measure the speed of a person's body clock.

The work could lead to better diagnosis of sleep disorders and conditions such as Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Master clock

It has long been known that the body has a biological clock that regulates sleeping, digestion and brain performance to fit in with the different demands of day and night-time living.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Pretty cool stuff. So people who are night owls have a genetic pre-disposition, or gene-signaling at the chromatic level which determines their activity and sleep cycles. I always thought it was just in the brain, but this study says that even skin cells display these 'clocks'.

The study may lead to new ways of combating sleep disorders.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Cool. I'd be interested in what my biological clock is... seems to me I'm on a 28 hour day. Jet lag doesn't effect me... because I'm ALWAYS jet lagged!

Anyway that'd be great if they can figure out a way for us to 'set' our own biological clocks. I hate poppin pills though. Side-effects suck.

new topics

join