It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy Addiction at ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall
There are the angry N.W.O. posters, who have bought the Alex Jones theory hook line and sinker. If you dare post anything that questions the N.W.O. hypothesis they put you on their enemy list and call you a traitor.

Who say's we're angry? We're just patiently observing the decimation of our country's constitution and our economy, our world reputation, etc.
If we are plenty angry, it is at the people who refuse to listen (i.e. your 'traitors') and hey, as human beings who give a damn about this earth, that's our duty.

Not everything is a conspiracy theory. I certainly scoff to be mentioned in the same paragraph as reptilian theorists etc.

I also believe calling Alex Jones a hack in order to discredit a widely-researched and popular political subject is a bit hokey. There are plenty of accredited sources of information on the N.W.O. to classify it as mainstream. The world IS run by a cabal of the same people and same positions of power, to claim otherwise is to be in open denial.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

I buy about half of what Jones has to say. His fringe ideas are way too out there to me, and when he talks about them you can see that he's surfing a major conspiracy high. He cares, but he gets off on it too (that great primed for the fight feeling just before a big battle). At this point everything beyond 911 was an inside job is just speculation.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Great thread. I do get a tingle when I hear a conspiracy theory. I love to talk about these, and that's one reason why I joined ATS. I'm not of the opinion that this fervor tarnishes my ability to recognize fact from fiction, but I'll cede the point that a little self-questioning is a healthy thing.

I, too, get exasperated when threads degenerate into NWO or end-of-days rants. Both of these issues are fascinating but they tend to bring out very emotive responses. Debate takes a backseat to diatribe.

Fortunately there are numerous other posts running that may occupy my time.

I love to post my thoughts in the hopes that I may pursuade someone to my perspective. Likewise, I am open to hearing opposing viewpoints and would think that I could be made to change my opinion in the face of solid arguments.

If I had one complaint it would be that too many posters state their opinions with far too many pre-conceived notions, whether about how government works, or who's pulling the strings, or what really happened when...Some of the best threads are those that force us to reexamine our dogmatic beliefs. Anything that encourages us to question our fundamental tenants is a powerful gift. Despite some tendencies toward badgering, I think the ATS boards are both fun and challenging environments that foster free-thinking.

Very glad I joined the community.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AJ Lavender

AJ: That you recognize that you like conspiracies means that you are in the top percentile of members at ATS. I'm not immune to it either, but I recognize my facination for conspiracies for what it is, and so I am very careful when I'm presented with one.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thanks.

I've only been in the forum for a week or so, but I think I will begin to utilize the 'Friend' feature, as it allows me to single out posters who write well-constructed, thoughtful posts.

I love scouring the forums for good content, but knowing I can reach some favored thinkers at the click of a button is a handy-dandy tool.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
if anything, ATS has killed my passion for conspiracy theories and etc. which is ironic (at least I think so).

I mean, once I saw all the politics involved with promoting / supressing various conspiracies, I realized that even the "top conspiracy" site was just as blemished with biased moderation as any other site online, including randi.org, foxnews.com and anything else you might care to mention.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm sure my wife woul love to give some anecdotal evidence about conspiracy addiction. LOL

I this to me is #1 entertainment. I've seen to many predictions come and pass with nothing happen to buy into those. The 9-11 stuff goes to quickly from the possible to the downright bizarre that there has got to be some active disinfo there. I don't even refere people who have doubts about 9-11 to conspiracy sites anymore, they start seeing stuff like holograms and lasers and immediately turn off all openess to alternative theories. Aliens, if they exist, would let us know if they wanted us to no matter what our governments wanted us to know.

I have been known at times to take a sabbatical from here for weeks and months just to clear my head of it all.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I think that taking a sabbatical is probably one of the best ways to let a little reality back in when the theories and confusion start to pile up. I am feeling like I need one soon myself. It's been a while since I have seen a credible conspiracy post on this site.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall

Originally posted by 1nelove

You did something similar with
"Does the thought of uncovering the secret conspiracies in the world give you a nice little tingle? If so you may be a conspiracy addict"
That is quite ridiculous to say this so absolutely. *I'm also aware of the appearance of me seemingly defending a similar charateristic in me..but I really cannot allow myself to care about that garbage.*

I can come up with much better assertians than that based on the question..but really, I would have it based on something, and I understand it can vary person to person why these feelings of sensation can result from uncovering apparant truth in big issues: so I don't believe this is a legitimate question at all.

It's very simple to me. If you get off on conspiracies, if they literally give you a rush, then that is something you need to look at. If you, for example, have a theory about Alpha Draconians and the NWO enslavement of mankind, and it excites you on some level and repulses you on another, then you need to look at your intentions. Are you feeding an addiction and side-stepping proper logic and common sense in order to satisfy your addiction? If you have such a theory and are just plain terrified, and there is noting "fun" about plotting it out in your head, then I would say you do not have a conspiracy addiction.

That is very simple indeed. It making reference to reality is a whole other question.

The variables involved, between the root intention/drive and the resulting feeling, absolutely (I can say that since it's in conflict with an absolution) makes this a generalized, simple and primitive statement. Your brain is much more equipped than that. Don't feed it selfishly, make it work more.
The variables involved also determine the result generated from the belief of uncovering a significant truth.

such black and white simplicity seems to suggest some sort of divinity within you right now doesnt it? It's not correct to by-pass such relavent circumstances that are involved and, as a whole, unique within each person.

Even though, I can see what your trying to say..and under specific circumstances I can see how this assertion can be correct: I would never generate an absolution on it because it's inherently wrong.
I agree every person should ask themselves if these beliefs aren't for the purpose of self-satisfaction as opposed to logic or truth. But what if the person is one of many who feel satisfied when they uncover the truth? It's so easy to come up with scenarios that make this "formula" useless..but that's a given based on the physical nature you used to describe a truth.
The only possible truth that can be taken from your statement is that everyone is physically the same..which is not true...of course.

One can't even attribute root cause in others, and often themselves, to such wide-ranging and variable meaning of words for feelings like 'fun' or 'kick' or 'rush' or whatever. That's very difficult and can only be up to the person themselves in the end to figure out (which they may easily not). Then after they find the true root can they determine whether it's true to reality or not. Trying to describe the standard or smoking-gun behaviour of this is misleading, untruthful and detrimental.

I would be much more worried of people who have no good understanding of reality. These people are automatically not capable of using logic since they don't have the base for it.

The biggest issue with this site are people applying the logic of absolution towards five-sense/physical situations. I find it astonishing. Many of them are of scientific beliefs yet they inverse the ideas of the greatest scientific and philosophical minds. Now wonder they are often egotistical.
You can't find absolute truth within an illusion, only a variable reflection of one.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by 1nelove]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 1nelove

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but if you reread this thread from the begining, you will see that I am saying that getting hooked on conspiracies is the problem. If you uncover a conspiracy and you get a thrill from realizing that an alien master race is enslaving the world, then you need to look at that thrill--that is all. It should not be a thrill to discover that the world is doomed. It should not be repeatedly thrilling to dive deeper and deeper into such a horrific conspiracy. If you are doing it for the thrill, stop and think about it period.

I will admit that "truth discovery" can be part of the thrill, but then what is that. Truth discovery thrills can be about ego, too.

I'm just saying be aware.

But thanks for your comment.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

I agree, it can but not always. That's all I was saying. I understood what you said, and it's not the underlying premise I have a problem with it's everything else you've said in regard to the premise.
People attach themselves to many things, often or maybe always self-rooted habits. However, being addicted to something like the truth (which is understandable to an extent since the truth is often clouded or hidden) is probably the most neutral state possible. This is true even if you believe people are incapable of being selfless.
Whether a conspiracy addict is actually devoted to the truth or not is really determinable through physical actions. The moment you try and generalize/guess in this fashion and apply it the legitimacy of an argument, you have given up on a neutrally/logically obtained choice.

The issue I had was the absolution used to uncover if there is a 'conspiracy addict'.
The second issue is the absolution used to label anyone who might be deemed 'addicted' to conspiracies as problematic.

This thread can only serve to label and attack people you think are 'addicted' through generalizations.
This isn't something that you can truly uncover or base logic on; which is why it's proper to address the logical points within someone's argument publically and internally. Basing their conclusion on an image-based label i.e. the simliest form of 'condemnation without investigation' will not help your argument towards truth.
So...really, who cares? The goal should be finding truth through the interpretation of reality. By promoting the illusionary five-sense relections we are doing the opposite of that.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It may sound simplistic for you, but it is a starting point for self-analysis. Either way, evil conspiracies should never be fun to uncover--I stand by that. You are entitled to your op, however, and I thank you for posting it here.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This is a great post. Its good to get different opinions, but thats all this is opinions. Why havent the actual conspiracy theories been named? Ill list a few, feel free to tell me where im misinformed ok.

Mercury in vaccines - Tests prove there are vaccines which contain mercury as a preservative. Mercury is poisonous to humans. Each does is minimal but adds up in your system which can result in lowered intelligence.

Chemtrails - Some still deny they exist, but those us who are not blind can see them well. Tests prove a variety of toxins are sprayed into our atmosphere via chemtrails emitted from planes. Some of the toxins and chemicals include Barium and Aluminium.

Flouride - Flouride is poisonous to humans but are added to many things we consume.

Genetically Modified Foods - Soon you will need to order everything you want to eat from GM factories like Monsanto. If the destruction of our enviroment continues you will also have to order live stock and pets from them as well.

Lack of Natural Resource Protection - There is nothing left for future generations. Almost allnatural resources have been taken, polluted or detroyed.

Haarp - A machine that can heat the Earth up to 50,000 degrees!

These are just a few off the top of my head. Do I have to go on?

Are all these just a figment of my imagination? Am I a conspiracy nut or do i just care about the world I live in?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join