It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chips could put lab rats out of work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Chips could put lab rats out of work

www.cnn.com

The lab rat of the future may have no whiskers and no tail -- and might not even be a rat at all.

Scientists are working to develop special chips that can be used instead of animals to test product safety.

With a European ban looming on animal testing for cosmetics, companies are giving a hard look at high-tech alternatives like the small, rectangular glass chip professor Jonathan Dordick holds up to the light in his lab at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

The chip looks like a standard microscope slide, but it holds hundreds of tiny white dots loaded with human cell cultures and enzymes. It's designed to mimic human reactions to potentially toxic chemical compounds, meaning critters like rats and mice may no longer need to be on the front line of tests for new blockbuster drugs or wrinkle creams.

Dordick and fellow chemical engineering professor Douglas Clark, of the University of California, Berkeley, lead a team of researchers planning to market the chip through their company, Solidus Biosciences, by next year. Hopes are high that the chip and other "in vitro" tests -- literally, tests in glass -- will provide cheap, efficient alternatives to animal testing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Interesting story . The more we do to overcome "ethical" barriers . The better imo. Even if there not my "ethics"

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I have no problems with this at all. While I do not know all the details to all of the animal testing going on I do know that there has been some horrible testing done to animals.

Why give a person the right (for the most part) to choose if they should be tested on but not an animal. Just because they are animals does not mean they feel no pain.

As far as cosmetics go I would rather see them tested on willing humans, after all it is not the animals that are so much worried about wrinkles or minor blemishes on their skin. Cosmetics for the most part are for people who feel they are not beautiful enough the way they look naturally on the outside. They use these cosmetics (most of the time) as a means to make themselves more attractive and become more accepted. This in its self is nothing more than shallowness on the part of humans. I do not really like the appearance of makeup for the most part I think it makes a person look fake, I would much rather be around someone that is comfortable with their appearance without makeup.

Medical advances ranging from polio vaccines to artificial heart valves owe a debt to legions of lab rats, mice, rabbits, dogs, monkeys and pigs. Animals -- mostly mice -- are still routinely used to test the toxicity of chemical compounds.

So when something goes wrong it is much better that an unwilling subject feels the pain and/or dies. There are people who are always willing to do stupid things for money or attention there are plenty of “popular” shows to prove this, I am sure Stevo or whatever his name is would subject himself to much of this testing out of sheer stupidity and the “fame”. Let the person willing to do the testing do it as long as they know the risks.

I see this as one step (albeit late) toward a better humanity.

Raist

new topics

join