It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im Giving It All Up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
After a weekend of hard drinking very bad drugs , ive finally realized that they are ruining my life
I regularly binge drink and partake in the use off very bad addictive substances
After years of doing this , my brain is fried and feel like a dirty scumbag
I would just like to know if anyone else has had to give up any addictive substances themselfs and if anyone has, i could really use some advice

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Disgustipated]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just remember that you control your own actions. If you don't want it you won't need it. Stay away from what causes you to desire these things. Fill your time with other things you enjoy.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If the addictions are serious enough it may be advisable to find some support structure along with counseling in whatever form. I certainly commend you on your decision and wish you strength and success.

You should keep clear of your usual "party" friends and find another outlet like biking or hiking to occupy yourself.

I quit a 20 year smoking habit a dozen times. In other words I failed a lot but never gave up on myself. Now I've been a nonsmoker for 3 years.

Congratulations!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Awesome!
I'm proud of you!
Congratulations on deciding to take one heck of a tough step.
I'm here to support you if/when you need it.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Thank you for your posts , Its things like them that make me feel good about im doing

As to not hanging around with people that feed my habit ,
Well that will be kinda hard as most off them do the exact same thing

Also i would like to add, and most people will find this quite profound
Iam only 15 years old
I started doing this when i was 13 and when i turned 15 (almost a year ago) i jumped into the deep end of all this and went into overdrive with drink and drugs

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Disgustipated]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Disgustipated

I quit many addictive substances.
Nothing helped me until I asked Jesus to forgive me and save me.
By the time I was old enough to get into a club legally, I felt like I was 'shot out'
and VERY OLD.
I had done aLOT of stupid stuff, Now, my body is a temple for the holy spirit and Jesus keeps me from the things that would get me back to 'partying'
One of the main things is that I don't even 'hang out' with people who have low standards(drugs, sleeping around, liars and violent people), I mean, I'll help them, if they really need it, but, I'm not going to get caught up in people's 'junk'.
Part of the Lord's prayer is "lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."
CS

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Clearskies]

Mod edit: again to remove specific drug refrences

[edit on 1/28/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

You should keep clear of your usual "party" friends and find another outlet like biking or hiking to occupy yourself.

That right there... is some really good advice! I wish my sister could have done the same thing. You must hang with a different group of people when you say good-bye to that stuff
Not easy, but it's a must.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Yup, I really have to agree with the different crowd, different hobby mentality.
You are young, that's quite an advantage, when it comes to re-writing the script that is to be your life.

Don't let other's write the script for you. Many won't want you to succeed, for their own selfish reasons, they might secretly want you to fail.

Don't just save your life. Make it a great life!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
At one time in my life all I could think about was the escape afforded by alcohol and drugs. Damn near killed me.

I found peace and serenity thru 12step programs, a higher power, and years of therapy. It's not just the substances that can ruin lives; addictive personalities need to change the way they think.

Start on the road to recovery NOW!

Bless your heart!! I know how you feel! u2u me if you want to.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well i have to salute you buddy. A great decision. But now it doesn't end with us commending you, it starts with you being strong. I had friends that were into all sorts of things and noting anyone said would change them. They maded the decision and stuck with it. That was the hardest because the pull to get back into the same old rutt, waking up in the mornings feeling like a dog chewed them and spat them out and then looking for that "something" to fix it just kept it going.

I have to say, i have been in situations where i could have "indulged" in questionable substances but i have also seen what the effects are from few close to me and my decision was to stay clear.

I take my hat off to you and wish you every strength and as was mentioned, get a support or people you trust to help you and get into something that will keep you out of the crowds that promote these tendencies and urges.

I support you in your decision as i am sure ATS does. Go for it - the sky is NOT the limit - set your own limits.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Good on ya son! err Been there, got the T-shirt so to speak. Very nearly screwed up my whole life.

When Pink Floyd said "We don't need no education!" They were right THEY don't: they are rock stars. The rest of us mere mortals do (and I can't stress the word DO enough) need an education.

Your GCSE's are on the horizon, challenge yourself to kick some serious ass in those exams.

You can do it.

Good luck.

MonKey

[edit on 29/1/08 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
As someone who's known you for quite some time I am very pleased to read this.

I fought my own addiction and defeated it. In my case it was smoking, which arguably is one of the most addictive activities out there. I quit two and a half years ago and haven't looked back.

The best advice I can give you from that experience is do not EVER fall into the trap of "Just this once..." That will lead to defeat. The fact that you've realized it's time to stop is a huge first step. The next step is sticking with it. "Just this once" will become twice, will become three times, and you'll be back to square one. You've made a commitment to yourself and you've gotta stick with it. It's critical for you to prove to yourself that you're stronger than these substances. You do not serve them. They do not own you.

The main character in this story will be you but you've got lots of folks to rely on for support here in the ATS community. I was lucky enough to have quit smoking at the same time as two fellow staff members. That helped. Just having folks to talk about it with was a huge help.

You've got that too, so don't worry. I think you'll do just great.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Really good idea man.
You've faced up to yourself and that's a hard thing to do, many people never get round to it.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I do not know if this will work for you, but I would suggest that you find a mentor, someone outside your social arena. Look into big Brothers perhaps.

When I hit rock bottom, I had a very mean Mom that took me by the hand and helped me through the roughest part. She has since passed on, but I will always ,always be thankful she loved me enough to help me make it through to the light.

It sounds as if you are a good person, a smart person with real moral fiber so to speak.

Think of it this way if you choose, that for what ever reasons that you chose to walk the path you have, it no longer serves you or your best interest. So,Thank it for bringing you to who and where you are now, and then let go.

Once you make this type of decision, you take full responsibility for your actions and therefore become responsible for your intelligence.

You are the Master of your life, not your dysfunction.

U2U me anytime, I will be very happy to be your friend and watch as you take steps toward your freedom and independence...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Congrats and goodluck!
I've never really had a big problem, but the temptation is there and I know it's hard seeing friends and family deal with it as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Thank you all for your wonderfull advice and praise they really help

However i must admit,
Yesturday i broke up with my girlfriend of over a year and to help relax my nerves i smoked somthing i shoudlnt
It was a bad mistake , i felt ok for about an hour then, after that just felt 100 times worse
I feel like i should say sorry to the people who have helped me so far , Im sorry

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Disgustipated]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Life isn't easy and old patterns are hard to change without help.

I tried a thousand time to change my behavior with alcohol and drugs.
I couldn't do it alone. It show's strength not weakness to seek help.

What have you got to lose except your pain.

Good luck my brother!!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Good for you, man. Tough decision and you sound like you're tough enough to make it.

I, too, started down the road to oblivion at a young age: 10-14. Found myself being forced to quit cold turkey in a juvie jail cell. It was not pleasant. I never wanted that monkey on my back again. I tried to keep my same friends but when they would offer me something I didn't need, I'd politely refuse. They eventually ditched me. At that time, everyone I knew did drugs. (It was the 60's). When I quit and my so-called "friends" abandoned me I began hanging out with a different crowd. Now I don't know anyone that isn't straight/sober.

If you're addicted you should probably get professional help. Kicking addictive substances, especially illegal ones, can be a hardship on your health. DT's are life-threatening and will require medical management. I went into convulsions withdrawing from barbiturates. Mine was a rather miraculous withdrawal because as soon as I started convulsing, I prayed, "Lord, if you let me live through this, I won't ever do drugs again." The convulsions stopped immediately. Being "just" psychologically (rather than physically) addicted is still addicted but isn't life-threatening. You're young which is a big plus.

No matter what your toxin of choice was, you can break free. You've already started. Welcome to your new life and congrats on taking the first step. We're here for ya, buddy.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
You made a good decision. I'm thankful you did this early as it took me far too long to get smart.

It won't be hard to change your friends and play habits. When I quit drugs and alcohol my old friends stopped coming to visit me and didn't want to hang with me anymore. It will take time but the new friends you make will be even more fun than the old ones.

Your BTS family is here for you if you need to talk.
My prayers are with you.

Marilyn

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I won't give you advice since I don't really know what substance you are talking about and the TOS here prohibits me from discussing specifics so I will say this. I had a pack a day tobacco habit that I quit cold turkey because there really is no point in it. What do I get out of smoking a cigarette? Sick, nothing more. You can do it. All you need is willpower.
If the addictive substance causes physical symptoms of withdrawal then see a doctor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join