It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia issues warning to U.S. & EU over Kosovo independence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
"KFOR will do all it can to protect serb minority in case of the Kosovo declaring independence" - Finnish Foreign Minister Ilkka Kanerva.

At least Finnish troops (and most likely other Central Taskforce units) have taken up defensive positions around Serb enclaves in northern Kosovo.

Source:YLE - In Finnish

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Hyvä!
After what the US did to serbia last time maybe they will think carefully about Kosovo this time. Give it back to the Serbs and kick out the Albanian trespassers!!!
I am glad the independenc signing was delayed and hopefully it will buy time whle they try to block it completely.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
In related news:

NATO insists it has mandate to remain in Kosovo

VILNIUS (Reuters) - NATO troops have the mandate to remain in Kosovo and intervene to maintain security there after an expected declaration of independence, NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said on Thursday.

Alliance defense ministers agreed at talks in Lithuania that existing U.N. Security Council resolution 1244 would continue to justify NATO's presence in Kosovo if the ethnic Albanian majority proclaims independence, expected within weeks.

Western powers have indicated they will back such a move.

"Yes, 1244 is the basis and will remain the basis for the NATO presence," NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer told a news conference.

Russia, Serbia's biggest ally on Kosovo, said on Wednesday that NATO would be in breach of its U.N. mandate if, for example, it intervened to put down protests by the territory's Serb minority against a declaration of independence.

NATO has not clarified how it would respond to any Serb attempts to defy ethnic Albanian-dominated authorities.

A territory of some two million people, Kosovo has been under United Nations supervision since NATO bombing in 1999 drove out Serb forces to end repression of ethnic Albanians.

KFOR has some 17,000 troops based around the province. Its commanders have said they are prepared to deal with any outbreak of violence.

De Hoop Scheffer also indicated NATO would have a role in training a future Kosovo security force, but he said any such move would have to wait until its status had been resolved.

Full story:

www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Looks like Kosovo is going through with this...Sounds like Russia may not have to deal with just the west in terms of the split...

Kosovo expects quick recognition by 100 countries

PRISTINA, Serbia (Reuters) - Kosovo Prime Minister Hashim Thaci said on Friday about 100 countries were ready to recognize the province's independence from Serbia, which political sources say could be declared on Feb 17.

"We have confirmation by around 100 countries that they are ready to recognize Kosovo's independence immediately after we declare it. We will have a powerful and massive recognition," Thaci told a news conference.

Full article:

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 8-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well Its really going to hit the fan tomorrow if they do declare Independence. I think Russia would then issue an ultimatum to NATO, Get out and get out now or face the full weight of the Serb and Russian armies. This may coincide with an attack on Israel by Hesbola, Hammas and Syria to try to have us make a decision on witch battle to fight although Israel can handle itself although Iran could make us look the other way if they started something at the same time. Syria cant take a poo without the Russians approval so this should be interesting. All hell could break loose and the Bush Administration is stupid for still backing the terrorist in Kosovo.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I started a thread with further global consequenses in my mind.My thread

NW

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Looks like Kosovo is going through with this...Sounds like Russia may not have to deal with just the west in terms of the split...

Kosovo expects quick recognition by 100 countries

PRISTINA, Serbia (Reuters) - Kosovo Prime Minister Hashim Thaci said on Friday about 100 countries were ready to recognize the province's independence from Serbia, which political sources say could be declared on Feb 17.

"We have confirmation by around 100 countries that they are ready to recognize Kosovo's independence immediately after we declare it. We will have a powerful and massive recognition," Thaci told a news conference.

Full article:

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 8-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

How ignorant of other's countries, they don't know the full story behind the Kosovo, I strongly oppose the declaration of independece, I have good friends who are from former Yugoslavia, from Belgrade, they had their homes bombed by Nato and US planes.
Spain, Cyprus,Romania, Greece, Ukraine, Russia, oppose of independence, at least some support, thanks god.
700 year old churches and holy places burned by Albanians and shown on Albanian national Tv as an accomplishment, very savage way, it is 21st century, not neanderthal century.
Kosovo is the holy land for all ORthodox nations, it is the heart. NAto needs to pack their bags and head home.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessit

You are preaching about 21st century and then saying that Kosovo is "holy land" it's a bit of a conflict, isn't it? I'd rather argument over international law (that should support Serbia) rather that religious arguments that have no real backing. (how can you prove that something is holy?)

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Like I stated in my prediction. I believe 100% it will not be US to get attacked first, it will be Britain from Russia. Just wait. The US will counter attack. Yes Russia has been going more lately at US, but they do not do anything yet.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by nuclear_terrorism]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Russia is still thinking it's a big player in world politics ran by nothing more than a petty criminal who doesn't want to give up constitutional power. They can't feed or take care of themselves because corruption within is so rampant. They talk tough, but when the bluff is called, they'll just walk away.

They have only one power piece, and it is a big piece; they do have nuclear capability. This is off the table and every sane person knows this.

Russia has a big, out-dated military machine that is ill equipped and poorly maintained. They do have some competent brigade units with a very few air wings for show, but once again, nothing to be real excited about.

They are about 30 years too late to pull the act they are trying to accomplish.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
reply to post by Odessit

You are preaching about 21st century and then saying that Kosovo is "holy land" it's a bit of a conflict, isn't it? I'd rather argument over international law (that should support Serbia) rather that religious arguments that have no real backing. (how can you prove that something is holy?)

How can I prove that something is holy? The Orthodox religion was pretty much started there, that region haD (thaks to Albanian savages) oldest Orthodox churches and meaningful history which dates back 700-1000 YEARS!
Here is an example, what if christians decide to immigrate to Saudi Arabia , let's say next to Mecca the holiest Islam city. They ask for independence from Saudis, because there is so many of them , and of course Saudis laugh at it and the conflict starts. You get my point, Kosovo is a heart of Serbia, and it's always been their lands for generations, untill Turks came and brought Islam.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by Odessit]

[edit on 16-2-2008 by Odessit]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Looks like Kosovo is preparing to unleash this "independence" very very soon.

While it is not my prediction, but I would not be too surprised to hear that Respublika Srpska and Serbian-populated portion of Kosovo will declare their independence immediately following Kosovo. Tansdniester, Abkhazia, and Nagorno Karabakh could follow right away as well. If Kosovo deserves their ill-gotten with, then why not the above mentioned regions? Why shouldn't Kosovo be considered a precedent? - Its independence is being administered by a large multinational organization.

What will Europe's and America's reaction be when Respublika Srpska and Serbian-Kosovo declare their independence? How can they justify preventing these reactionary declarations? They can't.

As for Kosovo - it will fail as a nation, and it will fail miserably. The social and political environment there is perfect breeding ground for terrorist organizations in Europe. The KLA government will likely encounter immediate deadlock in governing the country, because of various interior disputes - and because you can't expect a pack of wild dogs to rule a modern sovereignty.

Whatever happens Serbians everywhere should know that a lot of people around the world are behind them. KLA-contorolled Kosovo will implode, because it's gangster government is not self-sustainable. Greater Albania will never exist. Kosovo will return to be part of Serbia, where it always belonged and will always belong.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

I was wondering where you were? I guess it will be some heated back channel discussions between the U.S. and Russia to see if this goes through. If Kosovo does declare Independence then I'm sure Russia will be very hot under the collar and may make some major moves on the Baltic and former Soviet states that know one could prevent fast enough because they have the balls to do it.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
If Kosovo does declare Independence then I'm sure Russia will be very hot under the collar and may make some major moves on the Baltic and former Soviet states

Why would Russia do that - how do you draw a connection exactly? Currently Russia wants nothing to do with the Baltics, and is far from interested in making moves on anyone.

Russia has more effective ways to get back at U.S. and its allies. It can help Iran and Syria acquire not just nuclear technology, but advanced air defense and missile systems. It can control oil/gas prices for Europe, and it can influence other major suppliers like Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan. It can help independence-movements in regions like Transdniester and Abkhazia. It can veto all U.S. actions in UN.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by maloy]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The support of Kosovo's Independance by the EU and US is the biggest expression of hypocricy that I have ever seen. This act of support by then will be the downfall of the UN I beleive.

Kosovo never was a nation nor does it deserve to be. It is a criminal gangster element running the country and the KLA are nothing but a terrorist organisation.

The only reason they are supporting it is to do with the final goal of the NWO. The former Yugoslavia was a major obstacle in the EU achieving its aims in that Europe couldnt be geographically under one complete banner until the Russian supported country of Yugoslavia was destroyed and Western leaning puppet presidents put in to the newly formed nations.

You watch, EU will do all it can to keep Kosovo alive and they will turn their attention towards Serbia to try and pressure them or force them to comply with the NWO's European mandate and instill a wesetern leaning president in Serbia aswell.

Dont be surprised if Northern Cyrus declares independance and the Southern Cypriots (Greek heritage) rise up and fight them for this. How will Europe respond to Greece and Turkey going to war again over Cyprus?

What of the Basque people in Spain? How can you deny one peoples struggle for independance yet not allow another people situation to result in a positive light when they have been fighting for it for far longer than the criminal albanians ever have?

Like I said, this will be the UN's downfall and swan song - spurred on my desperate measures and hunger for greed and absolute power, the results of which will inflame war front on many sides. To the point where you cannot sustain so many fronts and resort to massive bombardment and carpet bombing not seen since Vietnam.

Which brings me to thing, where will Europe and USA dedicate their attention first?

Will EU resort to dealing with Serbia/Russia over Kosovo themselves, whilst USA and Israel deal with carving up the middle east in their desired image?

Did somebody say China? Yeah, what a great opportunity for a naval blockade of Taiwan and annexing them back to the Chinese mainland through force - Likewise North Korea resorts to invading the South.....will Japan take on the Chinese sphere of influence?

What a mess - what a mess - what a mess!

Tell me, what has humanity learned over the centuries? war after war after war. Leaders dont perish, the people do. So the people have to know when to take back the control of their government, hold them accountable. This isnt democracy, it's democratic dictatorship!

We are all being fooled into beleive our governments are doing all this in our best interests.....BS!

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
E.U. Police and Military Intervention to enforce Secession from Serbia

www.globalresearch.ca...

by Michel Chossudovsky

Global Research, February 16, 2008

The European Union is sending in a police and military intervention force into Kosovo in derogation of of Serbia's sovereignty and in violation of of international law. This mission has all the features of an illegal occupation force by a foreign power.

The European Union approved on Saturday the deployment of a 1,800-member "policing and administration mission" to Kosovo. Out of the 1500 police, some 700 SWAT experts ":trained in crowd and riot" control will be dispatched to Kosovo.

The mission is to be carried out under the European security and defense policy (ESDP). It will assist the Kosovar government integrated by former KLA war criminals. It will provide support to the police and judicial authorities "in their progress towards sustainability and accountability".

The EU police mission is slated to take over several functions which are currently under the auspices of the UN Mission to Kosovo (UNMIK) including police, justice and border police.

"Once it reaches full operational capability the mission will have around 1900 police officers, judges, prosecutors and customs officials and approximately 1100 local staff and will be based in headquarters in Pristina.

The EU-LEX mission will be under the authority of a retired French general Yves de Kermabon. Morevoer, Brussels has appointed an EU Special Representative (EUSR) for Kosovo to be headed by Dutch diplomat Pieter Feith.

In addition to the EU-LEX mission, more than 1000 British troops have been sent to Kosovo to join the 15,000 strong NATO garrison in occupied Kosovo. . According to the Daily Telegraph:

"The imminent departure of the 1st Bn Welsh Guards to Kosovo has been ordered in response to fears that the newly formed independent state could slide into "ethnic cleansing". But last night MPs and former military chiefs described the move as "irresponsible" and "demented", accusing the [British] Ministry of Defence of being "bankrupt".(16 February 2008)

The US will be sending 1000 "non-EU experts" which will also include a new influx of private security and military contractors.

Does this mean Russia has the right to send in their armed forces to "protect" their Serbian adversaries in the northern areas of Kosov aswell?

Does this also mean that Blackwater will be making an appearance in Kosov too?

This will be a major clashpoint between East and West.

What gives the EU the right to send in their troops especially private contractors into another countries borders to secure the enclave of proposed independance?

This is like China sending in troops to support for example Alaska's moves for independance before they even declare it. Total and utter bull# is what this action is.

This cannot end well for anyone. Please, people we need leaders with morals, common sense and empathy not money driven gung-ho globally controlling puppets!

[edit on 16/2/08 by Melbourne_Militia]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Dont be surprised if Northern Cyrus declares independance and the Southern Cypriots (Greek heritage) rise up and fight them for this. How will Europe respond to Greece and Turkey going to war again over Cyprus?

You mean who will NATO support. It's easy: Turkey is more important to NATO, thus Turkey > Greece. NATO didn't pay attention when Turkey invaded Cyprus, and now Turkey pretty much gets away with whatever it wants. In fact the government of Cyprus (not the Turkey controlled ghetto) expressedly criticized Kosovo's independence for this very reason.

What of the Basque people in Spain? How can you deny one peoples struggle for independance yet not allow another people situation to result in a positive light when they have been fighting for it for far longer than the criminal albanians ever have?

Spain also has Catalonia, and a bunch of other factions. I think nearly every country in Europe (and the world for that matter) has some minority faction that would like independence. Kosovo is just the precend many of them have been waiting for.

Will EU resort to dealing with Serbia/Russia over Kosovo themselves, whilst USA and Israel deal with carving up the middle east in their desired image?

EU is a cumbersome contraption that is so full of itself it is bursting from within, what with all the arguements and quarrels, and it will never be able to keep the Balkans in check. NATO will have to do that, and the support for the Balkans missions is already fading among many members. NATO will be out of the Balkans sooner or later, and there will be new wars there. Non of the conflicts have been resolved by NATO intereference - only temporarily halted.

And Middle East is pretty much mapped out. Iran and Syria are not going to give in, so U.S. will just have to sit and wait untill a new opportunity opens up, or untill an internal war finally erupts in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Here is my opinion, I am from Romania and I can clearly understand why Romania is against such an independence.

If US+EU accept the independence of Kosovo then Romania will have a big problem here in Transilvania since the Hungarians could do the same thing as in Kosovo or worse the whole Transilvania will become a different political entity.

There are many advantages that Transilvania could gain if independet from Romania. Of course this would destroy the Romania nation. It's not a good thing.

As I see it, what is happening in Kosovo is not an "independence", its more of an imperialistic expansion of US domination. Kosovo may become just like Iraq in the Middle East.

Actually what USA is trying to do is to encourage separatists movements within Russia with this independence. The 100 countries which will recognize the independence have the same agenda as USA. Since there are two camps in the world. You are with USA or against it, aka Russia.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Well they are going to do it. The Serbs say they will not attack but that they will cut them off completely.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I am sure the Kosovans will survive without the backing of Serbs.

Don't forget they got full backing from Europeans who are also willing to support them with a little pat on the back from the US.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join